Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #641
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

absolutely would do AB one call just wondering about an actual permit
MacDaddy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #642
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any one here have synthetic turfs? Getting tired of mowing, watering the lawn plus I have developed allergy to grass the last few years. Thoughts, cost and good installers in town?
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #643
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
Any one here have synthetic turfs? Getting tired of mowing, watering the lawn plus I have developed allergy to grass the last few years. Thoughts, cost and good installers in town?
I used Rymar when I had mine installed in my backyard and am quite happy with the product and the installation. They used their Rymar 65 "grass".

The price covered the removal of the existing sod, grading/leveling of the ground, placing and compacting the crush required and then placing the actual "grass", as well as fitting around existing structures in the yard. Took them about 2 days and I think the all-in cost was about $9 per square foot. It comes on a big roll like carpet, so there will be a seam, but it's invisible.

Aside from looking a bit out of place in the winter and spring, I've had no issues with it. It's designed to drain water so there isn't pooling and my old roommate's dog didn't wreck it (aside from being confused). Feel wise, I can walk on it barefoot and not notice a huge difference in feeling.

Maintenance wise, I wash it off every few weeks with the hose and I'll probably get it power broomed this year to remove a few small flat spots.

If you want to come by to check it out, you're more than welcome to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
absolutely would do AB one call just wondering about an actual permit
No permit and you don't NEED to do OneCall for that depth. If you do, keep in mind that they won't mark private utilities. The suggestion to mark up a copy of your RPR with the locates is a good one though.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 04-25-2018 at 11:27 AM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #644
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Anyone with general landscaper recommendations? Nothing fancy. Tearing out the front garden (overgrown) and sodding (7m x 7m ish). Grind out front hedges.

Got one quote so far, but wouldn't mind getting another to compare to.

And thoughts on just rototilling vs pulling everything up first?
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #645
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone use hose faucet timers? Looking to build some drip irrigation systems and would like to automate it.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #646
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Anyone use hose faucet timers? Looking to build some drip irrigation systems and would like to automate it.
I use the simple ones by Orbit like this. I really like them, and the timer works well. This model specifically has the ability to have a "rain delay" which I really like.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #647
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I use the simple ones by Orbit like this. I really like them, and the timer works well. This model specifically has the ability to have a "rain delay" which I really like.
Yeah, I was looking at the their dual valve one as I may try and set up some above ground sprinklers for my back yard as well. Reviews seem mostly positive and rain delay option is nice to have.

Last edited by red sky; 04-25-2018 at 01:09 PM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #648
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Yeah, I was looking at the their dual valve one as I may try and set up some above ground sprinklers for my back yard as well. Reviews seem mostly positive and rain delay option is nice to have.
My Mom uses the triple valve and really likes it.

Last edited by Iceman90; 04-25-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #649
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
My Mom uses the triple and really likes it.
*snort*
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #650
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any advice how to get rid of Voles? I've got some of those little a-holes digging holes under my shed, and it looks like they're starting on my lawn also.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #651
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Old guy tip...

if you have your utilities marked, find a copy of your Real property Report, google earth a shot of your backyard, or just make a sketch showing where everything is.

Thus the next time you have a project all your info is right there instead of having one call come out again.
I do think this is bad advice. Utilities can move around, and if you do hit something but didn't get it located you're going to be in trouble over it. Always get the locates done.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #652
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My advice is don't trust the locates as precise. I had a gas line done, and I knew judging from the point on the house to the valve in the alley roughly where a straight line was. The locate was a good 3 feet away. I had the supervisor come out and he marked it about where I thought it should be. I know they have some error in their locate, but always be careful in the vicinity.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #653
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I do think this is bad advice. Utilities can move around, and if you do hit something but didn't get it located you're going to be in trouble over it. Always get the locates done.
I think marking up your RPR is fine, but agree that you should be getting locates done to confirm if you're going to be working in the vicinity. No need to if you can see the lines are far from your planned work space.

The other point to emphasize is that OneCall doesn't mark private utilities. So if you have added a power line to your garage or internet/TV lines, adding those in can be helpful down the line.

In addition to marking up my RPR with the garage power and data lines, I went one step further and basically did as-builts of my garage when I did all the wiring, along with pictures of all the walls. They'll stay with the house when I move, along with the original house plans and copies of all the permits. If the next owner needs a reference, they are there to use.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #654
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Any advice how to get rid of Voles? I've got some of those little a-holes digging holes under my shed, and it looks like they're starting on my lawn also.
I caught a lot using mousetraps by their holes, but I'm not sure I even put a dent into the population until my neighbour had an exterminator make multiple visits.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #655
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My advice is don't trust the locates as precise. I had a gas line done, and I knew judging from the point on the house to the valve in the alley roughly where a straight line was. The locate was a good 3 feet away. I had the supervisor come out and he marked it about where I thought it should be. I know they have some error in their locate, but always be careful in the vicinity.
It's been awhile since I took a ground disturbance course but you're also supposed to hand expose any utilities withing X distance of your dig zone as well.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #656
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I think they say within 1m of the locate must be hand exposed. But with my locate being almost 3 feet off, that could have gone bad.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #657
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Peanut butter in a trap worked great. Two voles down in an hour. put it by their holes or along a fence line
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #658
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm trying to thicken up my lawn. I just bought some grass seed and I also want to fertalize the lawn. Should I lay the seed first, wait a week then fertalize? Or can I lay the grass seed and fertalize at the same time?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #659
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where's the best place to buy sod in the city? Burnco?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:43 AM   #660
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Where's the best place to buy sod in the city? Burnco?
I've ordered through bluegrass a few years now, always had good luck with their stuff.
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reneeee For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies