Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Off season RW options-Nichushkin?

I think we can all agree that the Flames still have a glaring need for a RW that can play in the top 6 but preferably on the top line.

What do people see as realistic options this off season, either through UFA or trade?

Personally I would be interested in trying to get Nichushkin off Dallas. His KHL contract is over and he is expected to return to the NHL next season. He is only due a RFA contract which could be a slow as $2 mill for maybe 1-2 'prove it' years, especially as he hasn't exactly lit up the KHL. I expect many to be afraid of the 'run back to Russia' factor but he has already played that card and I expect him to want to prove that he belongs in the NHL.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
I think we can all agree that the Flames still have a glaring need for a RW that can play in the top 6 but preferably on the top line.

What do people see as realistic options this off season, either through UFA or trade?

Personally I would be interested in trying to get Nichushkin off Dallas. His KHL contract is over and he is expected to return to the NHL next season. He is only due a RFA contract which could be a slow as $2 mill for maybe 1-2 'prove it' years, especially as he hasn't exactly lit up the KHL. I expect many to be afraid of the 'run back to Russia' factor but he has already played that card and I expect him to want to prove that he belongs in the NHL.
I don't think the Stars will make him available. The whole reason he left was because he clashed with Ruff who is gone. From everything I have heard he is fine with going back to Dallas now.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think the Stars will make him available. The whole reason he left was because he clashed with Ruff who is gone. From everything I have heard he is fine with going back to Dallas now.
I had heard the same but just thought it would be a good option if we could convince Dallas to sell.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Stars are also desperate for depth scoring so it'd be surprising if they would let him go for little.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post

What do you think Dallas might want for the #10 draft pick of the deep 2013 draft?

If he wasn't Russian he might have gone in the top 5-6 picks and looked like the steal of the draft at #10.

In his 18 year old season in the NHL he had the same pts as Monahan (34) and was +20 rather than a -20 almost half a year younger than Monahan.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
What do you think Dallas might want for the #10 draft pick of the deep 2013 draft?

If he wasn't Russian he might have gone in the top 5-6 picks and looked like the steal of the draft at #10.

In his 18 year old season in the NHL he had the same pts as Monahan (34) and was +20 rather than a -20 almost half a year younger than Monahan.
One is a legit 30 goal scorer while the other one is playing in the KHL. Nobody cares about plus minus stats.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If Bennett is a bust -- which I disagree with -- then Nichushkin is, too. I don't really want him at all.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

My right wing options are:

Gustav Nyquist
Kasperi Kapanen
Old 03-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's worth at least kicking the tires but I'm weary of Russian players that go home when faced with adversity.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’d love to get him but I think it’s a pipe dream. I don’t think the Stars will let him go
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
What do you think Dallas might want for the #10 draft pick of the deep 2013 draft?...
How does this have any relevance? Nichushkin is no longer a high draft pick. He is now 23-years-old and two years removed from being a 0.5 pts/game player in the NHL. He has some value, but not a lot compared to the 2013 NHL entry draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #13
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If Bennett is a bust -- which I disagree with -- then Nichushkin is, too. I don't really want him at all.
Bennett for Nichushkin.

Make it happen Tre.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #14
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Bennett for Nichushkin.

Make it happen Tre.
Interesting idea, since Bennett likely isn't going to be utilized as a center.

Deal for a natural RW which you're more in need of.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #15
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guys that I see as trade bait (with a RW being the target) would be Brodie, Ferland and Stone. That should be enough of a carrot to get someone really good. I'd rather go after the Dallas player, or someone else off the radar as opposed to a bidding war situation like will likely happen with Hoffman.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #16
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nichushkin is probably one of those players that are 'worth more to the team than what they would get in a trade'. Unless Nichushkin wants out of the Dallas organization before considering a return (which probably won't happen with Ruff not being there), I can't see them trading him away. What team is going to pony up for a flight risk that had a big injury early in his career, and that may have impacted his game? Not much.

I would love the Flames to acquire him on the cheap - any non-defensive prospect in the Flames system or any 3rd round and lower pick - but that's not going to happen. A team is not going to spend much to take on that risk, and Dallas is not going to give him away for nothing.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #17
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Probably can't compare the two players because of the obvious difference in paths they've taken. Bennett has had his chances in the NHL with NHL players while nichuskin had only the one year.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Calgary really have the option to not gamble? Swing for the fences. Nichuskin for an overpayment is fine. If the Stars need help on defense, we are a good trading partner for them.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #19
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think a deal could be had with MTL:
To MTL:
TJ Brodie
Emile Poirier

To CGY:
Brendan Gallagher
5th Round
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote