Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #41
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
We should get my wife in there...she's a good little sweeper!
Solid contribution.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #42
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Solid contribution.
I was hoping the Olympics sub-forum could be immune to threads being Sliver’d, but I was wrong.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #43
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
On the list of sports that shouldn't be in the Olympics (summer or winter), curling is far down the list. Summer is packed with events that need to be shot into the sun.
We're looking at you, dressage.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #44
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Curling doesnt belong in the Olympics regardless of fricking gender. Create some senior citizen games to put on the seniors channel and stop wasting airtime and bandwidth for that junk.
Here's a crazy idea, don't watch it.

I'm looking forward to watching Koe tonight. I quite enjoy curling.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #45
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as sweeping goes lawes was better than Morris. She was also significantly better than Morris and getting up and getting into sweeping position after a shot. She was the primary sweeper on the team.

Outside of the semi-final I would argue that Lawes out curled Morris
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #46
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite part of the Olympics is becoming an expert in every sport after watching it for 30 minutes.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #47
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Here's a crazy idea, don't watch it.

I'm looking forward to watching Koe tonight. I quite enjoy curling.
X2

I enjoy curling very much, the skills, the strategy, it's just fun to watch.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:44 AM   #48
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

My kiwi upstairs neighbours got really into curling the other night and I'm pretty sure it was the first time they had ever watched it. They were shouting at the TV pretty enthusiastically. I clearly heard one of them say that it was like lawn bowls but way more exciting.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #49
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
As far as sweeping goes lawes was better than Morris. She was also significantly better than Morris and getting up and getting into sweeping position after a shot. She was the primary sweeper on the team.

Outside of the semi-final I would argue that Lawes out curled Morris
Lawes is not a better sweeper than Morris. Full stop. Lawes is an excellent sweeper, but she's also 115 pounds. Morris is 185 pounds. Both are extremely fit. Lawes and Morris like having someone hold the broom for them, so they sweep a lot of their own rocks. John swept more rocks in the game. Yes, Kaitlyn gets up quicker. This can be attributed to John being more focused and confident on his shot. Watch the final again. John swept more rocks. Kaitlyn didn't even sweep much on her last rock of each end. Just watch them both sweep. They both have excellent technique, but John has height, weight, and muscle. It's not close that he's the better sweeper.

You can argue Lawes out curled Morris, but you'd be wrong. John was the best curler at the Olympics. In the round robin he shot 82%. Lawes was 76%. In every single game he shot better than her, except for their 10-4 win against China when she outcurled him 77-73. That was her 3rd best game, and it was his worst game. If you throw out each player's high and low percentage, John's worst remaining percentage is higher than Lawes's best percentage. In the semifinal Lawes was horrific. That's not up for debate. She'll admit that. That game could have been over after 5 ends if she shoots 60%. Morris saved her that game. I don't see the percentages for the medal rounds, but both players were outstanding in the gold medal game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #50
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Lawes was 58% in the semifinal, Morris 82%
Lawes was 73% in the final, Morris 83%

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #51
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
We're looking at you, dressage.
errr, pingpong, archery, shooting....

Quote:
Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #52
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
And lastly, our female athletes, if I’m correct, have absolutely dominated our men on the podium the last few games.
It's pretty darn even really. Only two games would there be considered dominance from one gender over the other, and that would be Torino for the Winter Games and Rio for the summer. Aside from those two, it's been mostly equal representation on the podium.

For the last 4 Olympics, taking those games out, you have:

Winter Olympics (Sochi, Vancouver, Salt Lake, Nagano)

Men: 18 Gold, 10 Silver, 10 Bronze; 38 total
Women: 17 Gold, 13 Silver, 11 Bronze; 41 total

Not much there really. Similarly on the Summer side (London, Beijing, Athens, Sydney):

Men: 7 Gold, 12 Silver, 14 Bronze; 33 Total
Women: 4 Gold, 10 Silver, 16 Bronze; 30 Total

So what happened in the other games that really skewed the stats? The men in Torino dropped a pretty big turd. Men's hockey won nothing. Jeremy Wotherspoon couldn't channel whatever Klassen and the women's skaters were channeling to have the best performance ever at a games. Dale Begg-Smith, as 'personable' as he is, made the Freestyle team look like idiots. So the women doubled up on the men medal wise. And could have easily had an even bigger gap. By Vancouver it seemed fixed (the men nabbed 8 Golds to the women's 5, though the women still had more medals) and the men nabbed more medals in Sochi (though the women had more golds). Here we are in Pyeongchang and it's a pretty even distribution so far yet again.

Similarly in Rio was the first time there was actually any real separation between the genders in the Summer games. 16 to 6 is a pretty big margin after being virtually tiedMore golds, silvers and bronzes (11-4 in that department) and they thumped them all over the place. How things change for the next games is the question now. Women in the pool alone could see that gap increase more and more.

Basically what I'm saying is that the Battle of the Genders is overblown. Our athletes have been doing pretty darn good.

Last edited by Roughneck; 02-15-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #53
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
My kiwi upstairs neighbours got really into curling the other night and I'm pretty sure it was the first time they had ever watched it. They were shouting at the TV pretty enthusiastically. I clearly heard one of them say that it was like lawn bowls but way more exciting.
Also less G&T's and cucumber sandwiches.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #54
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Nothing to do with the sex of the participants, but the one thing with snowboarding I kind of dislike is that there still seems to be more emphasis put on the lifestyle of it all, than on pure athleticism.

I was watching the slopestyle the other day, and one of the competitors pants fell down to his knees halfway through his run. Not to get all Grandpa Simpson on it, but you're in the Olympics...get some pants that fit, sonny boy.

I’m sure it would never fly in the culture, but I have a feeling the streamlined suits that skiers wear would give them better mobility and control, and be better in the air as their suits wouldn’t be a giant windsock.
LOL, I was so curious I had to see this, as I've watched most of the mens & womens slopestyle.

This is all that came up in my search string. Lol

Table5, you really should treat yourself to a new snow kit man. Welcome yourself, to modern culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Ya the snowboard events this year definitely did not favour lighter people with less muscle mass. Even the guy who won the gold medal in slope style had to tuck like crazy because he's basically a child. With the wind being as bad as it was for the women, they ended up looking far weaker than they actually are.
True, and I'll rehash again. While other Alpine events were postponed due to the wind; events that take place ON the ground, womens slopestyle was not.
Unfair, and unsafe.

https://medium.com/@amberstackhouse/...e-1cb441ac8e6c

Last edited by cam_wmh; 02-15-2018 at 04:45 PM.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #55
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A gold is a gold, it makes no difference if its won by the men or the women. Canada tends to be better at the newer sports, and its very hard to break into the traditional european winter sports, particularly without the kind of government and corporate funding that the European NOCs get. One of our Biathletes had to build his own gun whereas the Germans get millions of dollars per medal. If you move to Spain, your kids will get elite soccer training funded by the Spanish government!

Outside of the fact that the OTP program was briefly bumped up for the Vancouver games, all these medals are parent funded from day 1. Our athletes are amazing and our parents should get a big thank you, they are winning medals despite serious financial limitations. Canada punches way above our weight on a medal per dollar basis.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 02-16-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote