Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #61
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Water tanks do require maintenance of sorts they should be drained completely every year to get the crud out that accumulates.
Really? TIL. Thanks, I'll do that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #62
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I have a new Rinnai in the house I purchased 2 years ago-(installed just before we moved in) I echo all the comments about the wait for hot water to reach the tap, and temperature not being that hot, and the requirement for a water softener to be installed in Calgary- I like the fact that I don't run out of hot water, but in general I'm not sure It's worth it, I'm not sure if this one failed that I would get another one-I would definitely look for one with a re circulation pump.

I just had the installer come and service it for the first time last week, it was $100 plus tax and I had him raise the temp for us(from 120- 130)
Interesting your Rinnai doesn’t have a temp adjustment. On the outside of mine I have temp buttons to adjust on my own.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #63
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Interesting your Rinnai doesn’t have a temp adjustment. On the outside of mine I have temp buttons to adjust on my own.
It does have buttons on the outside but it maxes out at 120- to get higher I think you have to open it and move some jumpers-
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #64
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
It does have buttons on the outside but it maxes out at 120- to get higher I think you have to open it and move some jumpers-

My Rinnai goes to 140.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:05 PM   #65
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this - seems to be mixed reviews and am considering looking into one. Anyone with reviews with newer units?

Is it worth it to do in Calgary?
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:36 PM   #66
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve considered going tankless. Related question for those with conventional tank heaters: how do you decide when to replace a tank? Is there a test to determine if it’s about to fail? It seems that waiting for it to fail is a bad strategy.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:47 PM   #67
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’ve considered going tankless. Related question for those with conventional tank heaters: how do you decide when to replace a tank? Is there a test to determine if it’s about to fail? It seems that waiting for it to fail is a bad strategy.
When your basement is flooding.

Joking aside, we noticed a very slight burning smell coming from our vents/mechanical room and it was our tank just starting to fail.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:49 PM   #68
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a Zigbee water leak sensor under mine that's connected to SmartThings. That sensor has saved us twice; once from a foundation crack that hit critical mass during that wild rainstorm a couple years ago, and once from our water tank.

One night this past winter around 10 PM, we were alerted on our phones that the leak sensor detected moisture. Aaaaand yup, we had a leaking tank on our hands. Quickly closed the valves, put some towels down to catch the water that was leaking, and connected a hose to drain the tank. It took ~4 days from failure to replacement, which sucked.

That's the problem with conventional water tanks... if they 'go', it might be something minor that inspires you to change the thing, or it might be finding your basement submerged. The tank was 13 years old (it was installed when the house was built in 2008) so we squeezed every second of usable life out of it. Should we have replaced it sooner / proactively? Almost certainly, but no one wants to replace something if they don't need to.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:54 PM   #69
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine is about 15 years old, and I'll be doing it this year. No signs of problems, but I'd like it in a different location, and want direct vent so I can tear out my stupid space hogging chimney.

Tankless would be great, but the drawbacks would irritate me too much.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #70
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it works for the Economy it can work for Water Heaters goddamn it!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #71
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Wouldn't a heat pump water heater be much more efficient with rising natural gas prices?

Just curious.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #72
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Wouldn't a heat pump water heater be much more efficient with rising natural gas prices?

Just curious.
They don't work in cold temps. Gas is still cheaper than electric for heating stuff up, even with the carbon tax.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #73
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fixed rates on offer from Enmax at this time:
Gas = $4.79/GJ
Electricity = 8.49¢/kWh = $23.58/GJ

A heat pump is more efficient, but not that much more efficient...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #74
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They don't work in cold temps. Gas is still cheaper than electric for heating stuff up, even with the carbon tax.
Doesn't the heat pump hot water heater just use the ambient air from the utility room to heat the water?

Old 05-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #75
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Doesn't the heat pump hot water heater just use the ambient air from the utility room to heat the water?

Maybe in Georgia. It would be too cold here I imagine.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:42 PM   #76
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I must be missing something, but I'm fairly certain the heat pump hot water heat just uses the air from the room where it is located in order to heat the water.

It doesn't actually use outside air.....
Old 05-12-2022, 03:44 PM   #77
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had thought they used external air, but if they just use air in the house, well, you don't get something for nothing. You still heat that air with your gas furnace. I know heat pumps are efficient, but is that more efficient to heat the air, then use that air to heat the water? I can't see that being true. Note that my understanding of thermodynamics is limited to what Homer Simpson taught me.

Spoiler!
Old 05-12-2022, 04:03 PM   #78
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, heat pump water heaters don't use any outdoor air. There is no combustion or anything going on. Think of them as kind of like a reverse-refrigerator. Your fridge takes heat from the contents inside the fridge and dumps said heat into your kitchen. The heat pump water heater takes heat from your mechanical room and dumps it into the water inside the heater vessel.

Heat pump heaters are a great idea in warmer climates, because they essentially work like an air conditioner that dumps the heat into your water rather than dumping it outdoors at a condensing unit. In more humid climates they tend to be very helpful in keeping the basement dry too, as they act just like a dehumidifier.

In our climate we need to add heat to our houses most of the year, meaning it's taking air you've already had to heat up to keep the house warm and dumping it into the water. Your water heating system is essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul, making making your space heating system work a little harder. It also dries out your already arid basement even further, meaning your humidifier needs to work harder.

As such I think they're a crappy solution for the average Albertan.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 04:26 PM   #79
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone ever done this and used the Canada Greener Homes Grant to offset some of the costs? I've been thinking of switching to tankless, and wondered if anyone has used the grant for it.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:33 PM   #80
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Yeah, heat pump water heaters don't use any outdoor air. There is no combustion or anything going on. Think of them as kind of like a reverse-refrigerator. Your fridge takes heat from the contents inside the fridge and dumps said heat into your kitchen. The heat pump water heater takes heat from your mechanical room and dumps it into the water inside the heater vessel.

Heat pump heaters are a great idea in warmer climates, because they essentially work like an air conditioner that dumps the heat into your water rather than dumping it outdoors at a condensing unit. In more humid climates they tend to be very helpful in keeping the basement dry too, as they act just like a dehumidifier.

In our climate we need to add heat to our houses most of the year, meaning it's taking air you've already had to heat up to keep the house warm and dumping it into the water. Your water heating system is essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul, making making your space heating system work a little harder. It also dries out your already arid basement even further, meaning your humidifier needs to work harder.

As such I think they're a crappy solution for the average Albertan.
I would be very curious to see some numbers on this.

Alberta doesn't have cold temperatures all winter (chinooks, etc), and you probably have 8 months out of the year where the temperature would be around 10 C? In that situation you aren't actually using a lot of energy to heat your home, and taking the ambient air from your utility room to heat your water shouldn't actually really be removing THAT much heat from the air.

I get that the warmer the climate, the more efficient the get, but I wonder what the line is.

Also, if you have this thing in the basement, and you have floor heat, the radiant heat coming out of the slab in your utility room should really help, and I would think the utility room doesn't have to really be that warm, so its not like you need to recover the heat it pulls out.

Really curious how well it would work.