Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #61
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's not true, there's two reasons that GIF gets posted.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #62
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Wow lets suck all the fun out of this place. Pretty soon people will just hang out in off topic only.
First off, that's just my opinion. I'm not a mod and they'll never be banned so what is your point?

You're just deflecting.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #63
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can someone PM me a picture of their sister or mom in a bikini so I can post it after a Flames win. She doesn't even have to be attractive.

Preferably one of the posters who disagree that these gifs being posted randomly in irrelevant threads aren't objectifying women.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #64
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
First off, that's just my opinion. I'm not a mod and they'll never be banned so what is your point?

You're just deflecting.
Posting my disagreement with your opinion, has just as much relevance as you posting your opinion that you already knew no one would ever agree with. What was your point?

Lets not suck all the fun out of this place. There is still a place for silly gifs as long as they are tagged imo.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #65
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Posting my disagreement with your opinion, has just as much relevance as you posting your opinion that you already knew no one would ever agree with. What was your point?

Lets not suck all the fun out of this place. There is still a place for silly gifs as long as they are tagged imo.
I was replying to a silly post but yes my opinion on silly non offensive posts doesn't matter either.

Let's get back to what this thread was created for.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #66
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Can we just admit that the whole "i'm protecting women's rights by posting scantily clad and or suggestive pics/gifs" is total ####ing BS?
I'm actually completely serious. The kind of thinking that says "we can't have cleavage in a PGT, lest someone get offended" is the same kind of thinking that says that we can't have cleavage in public for the same reason. It's the kind of thinking that gets girls sent home from schools for being a distraction. It's the kind of thinking that shames breastfeeding mothers. It's a bad way of thinking, and it needs to be nipped at the bud.

=======================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Again though we aren't banning or censoring the content. ALL we are asking people to do is to use a piece of forum functionality that exists - by placing that type of stuff behind a NSFW tag.

Let's not exaggerate or over-state what is being asked - which is a pretty reasonable request.
This would ring less hollow if the content wasn't being removed by the moderators.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #67
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the PGT thread somehow become that much less fun when the posting of gifs dies down and actual discussion starts taking place?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #68
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Does the PGT thread somehow become that much less fun when the posting of gifs dies down and actual discussion starts taking place?
A little bit...ya. What is wrong with people being happy with a win? Posting gifs has been a tradition for as long as I have been here. Sometimes over analysing a game is less fun, and people just want to celebrate a bit...content of the gifs aside in this case.

Last edited by Jbo; 11-06-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #69
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
This would ring less hollow if the content wasn't being removed by the moderators.
The only reason the content was removed entirely was because I didn't have an easy ability to add the NSFW tag myself.
If people post this stuff within NSFW tags it won't be removed. As long as it doesn't cross the line to something that we don't allow at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moderator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #70
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Nah. Other than giving rise to some all-time classics like Kipper serving up another W, they're more annoying than fun, like the way that Jay and Dan are.
It's like Gaskal's ATL - outstanding stuff in a PGT win context - but is no good when numerous people copy/paste from HF boards.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #71
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I'm actually completely serious. The kind of thinking that says "we can't have cleavage in a PGT, lest someone get offended" is the same kind of thinking that says that we can't have cleavage in public for the same reason. It's the kind of thinking that gets girls sent home from schools for being a distraction. It's the kind of thinking that shames breastfeeding mothers. It's a bad way of thinking, and it needs to be nipped at the bud.

=======================

You're talking about a completely different issue. The problem isn't cleavage, we see that everyday.

First, it's NSFW. Literally a concept used all over the internet. Don't post something that you wouldn't want your boss to see or anyone who would be passing your screen.

Secondly, would you post a picture of your mom in a bikini or half dressed outfit in an unrelated thread about a Flames win? I'm sure your loved ones do wear that type of clothing and that's totally fine. Objectifying them isn't.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the issues you are fabricating. Children being sent home from school for dressing provocatively is bad but that's not what we are discussing and a totally different topic.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #72
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the mods could answer this, but is there a flag in the forum software that a user can at least select so images aren't displayed at all? I mean, from a data use perspective alone Tapatalk is one of the biggest sinks of mobile data, and I assume its because of the images in general.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #73
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks bud. Not all gifs are offensive. And I would love if all irrelevant gifs were banned from PGT. And all the stupid car pics in the GT as well.
Maybe you should just read about the game in the newspaper? Just be careful to flip by the Calvin Klein ads real quick.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #74
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're talking about a completely different issue. The problem isn't cleavage, we see that everyday.

First, it's NSFW. Literally a concept used all over the internet. Don't post something that you wouldn't want your boss to see or anyone who would be passing your screen.

Secondly, would you post a picture of your mom in a bikini or half dressed outfit in an unrelated thread about a Flames win? I'm sure your loved ones do wear that type of clothing and that's totally fine. Objectifying them isn't.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the issues you are fabricating. Children being sent home from school for dressing provocatively is bad but that's not what we are discussing and a totally different topic.
I wouldn't post a picture of my dad from the 70s when he was ripped on the beach because he wouldn't want his private pictures in the public forum. What's your point?

Are you insinuating that the gifs people are posting are being posted against the will of the women in said gifs?

It's amazing how militant you are about certain benign things.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #75
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I wouldn't post a picture of my dad from the 70s when he was ripped on the beach because he wouldn't want his private pictures in the public forum. What's your point?
My point is quite clear. Why doesn't your dad want his picture in a public forum in a Flames thread? Wow way to ruin the fun CroFlames. That's how I have fun. Way to be a party pooper, I can't have fun now that I can't see your ripped dad on a beach. Can you at least post pics of yourself or something?

Quote:

Are you insinuating that the gifs people are posting are being posted against the will of the women in said gifs?

It's amazing how militant you are about certain benign things.
No idea where you got that from. Not militant at all actually and it doesn't bother me that much and I've never complained to the mods about the said gif and always just rolled my eyes and skipped the gif but since this thread was created and a few posters got offended that they can no longer have "fun", I thought I'd give my opinion.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #76
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My point is quite clear. Why doesn't your dad want his picture in a public forum in a Flames thread? Wow way to ruin the fun CroFlames. That's how I have fun. Way to be a party pooper, I can't have fun now that I can't see your ripped dad on a beach. Can you at least post pics of yourself or something?

No idea where you got that from. Not militant at all actually and it doesn't bother me that much and I've never complained to the mods about the said gif and always just rolled my eyes and skipped the gif but since this thread was created and a few posters got offended that they can no longer have "fun", I thought I'd give my opinion.
It doesn't matter why my dad doesn't want his picture posted in a public place. It's his choice.

Just like it's the choice of these women to make videos and/or pictures of themselves for public consumption. They WANT those pictures posted.

Every individual has a choice if they want to post stuff freely or keep it private. Once it's posted publicly, it can be posted. Has anyone asked the Star Trek actors if it's ok if we post their celebratory gif in a Flames forum, despite the fact it doesn't have anything to do with a Flames win? No. It's become public domain, and its a silly way to celebrate a win.

You consistently miss the point in thread after thread. Bottles the mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #77
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It doesn't matter why my dad doesn't want his picture posted in a public place. It's his choice.

Just like it's the choice of these women to make videos and/or pictures of themselves for public consumption. They WANT those pictures posted.

Every individual has a choice if they want to post stuff freely or keep it private. Once it's posted publicly, it can be posted. Has anyone asked the Star Trek actors if it's ok if we post their celebratory gif in a Flames forum, despite the fact it doesn't have anything to do with a Flames win? No. It's become public domain, and its a silly way to celebrate a win.

You consistently miss the point in thread after thread. Bottles the mind.
Way to miss the point. Again. Nobody is offended that star trek gifs are being posted. It's annoying but not offensive. Half the population are women who can be offended by sexy gifs being posted in a thread not even remotely related.

Women right here on CP have told us they're offended but let's keep deflecting to Star Trek gifs.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #78
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #79
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Can someone please explain the point of those gifs. Like what does a half naked women have to do with a Flames win?
It's a gif of someone celebrating.

No different than the fist bumps or nods. That is, unless you have a bizarre social aversion to seeing attractive women. In which case, you must have a pretty difficult time navigating through society in general.

And we're not talking about "Half naked". The outfit you see in the gif in question is no different from ads we see hourly on TV, the web, print media etc.

If that bothers you as much as it does, hopefully you and your easily wounded sensibilities stay away from actual Flames games:

NSFW!

That is, if you haven't already written the Flames strongly worded letters about that.

This is not a democratic forum, and the owners / mods are free to do whatever they like. But this manufactured outrage is silly.

I can see the issue with some of the borderline up-skirt stuff that was happening before, but gifs like the one in question are no different than things you might see in Google generated banner ads on just about every website. If you're going to play the "my boss might walk by" card... is it any different than the fact you're wasting company time watching hockey highlight gifs and horses walking backwards? Come on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #80
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Way to miss the point. Again. Nobody is offended that star trek gifs are being posted. It's annoying but not offensive. Half the population are women who can be offended by sexy gifs being posted in a thread not even remotely related.

Women right here on CP have told us they're offended but let's keep deflecting to Star Trek gifs.
woah, woah let's pump the brakes here for a second.

I think it is probably best to avoid framing this as being some sort of male dominated, white knight action by the mods protecting women and their delicate sensibilities lest they be scarred by seeing sexy gifs.

I'm not saying they can't be offended or that they aren't, I just don't know if you should be in here championing a cause that has never once been mentioned in this thread or the PGTs.

Even the mods have gone out of their way to frame this as an issue of restricting inappropriate content on the grounds that this is a SFW environment.

If you have insight into a bunch of women on CP who are offended, then fire away. I guess it is possible they are PMing you this type of info and I'm not privy to it.

The idea that we have to protect women from even seeing other women is way more offensive than any gif I've ever seen in a PGT. Most gifs of the sexy women are celebratory in nature and rarely are gratuitous in their depiction of that sexy celebration. However they sometimes are not work safe. It's not like there's a bunch of gross demeaning comments that would create an atmosphere that would make people uncomfortable. I know for certain that it isn't just women who can be offended by an unwelcoming and misogynistic atmosphere.

Trust me, I remember the hot women thread and some of the creepy comments that were thrown around. Some of them were even about real people who had their picture posted in the thread. Ironically enough, the guy posting the gif in question in the PGT was the one who posted a pic of his SO and #### got weird real fast.
Closed Thread