Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Tell Me About Your Neighbourhood

Hi CP,

I am house hunting right now, and it's really gotten me interested in looking at the entire city. We are looking at tons of houses and going to open houses for the ones we like, but there are so many options and pros/cons of each. I'm sure many of you have been in the same boat.

The nice thing is we're not exactly "tied down". We'd like "reasonable" access to downtown (ie ctrain) but that's not #1 priority.

My underlying intent aside, tell me about your neighbourhood! Pros/cons of living there or even where you grew up. We can look up houses/prices/etc on our own, I want to know what your experience is/was like!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

My neighbour is a communist and a heathen. I've reported him to the Commissar but Kevin Lowe hasnt gotten back to me yet.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anywhere but the NE
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:07 AM   #4
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Anywhere but the NE
Big area man.

I'm in Harvest Hills and it's great.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 04:09 AM   #5
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Anywhere but the NE
Screw anyone else that has this attitude about the NE. The stereotypes about the NE are unfounded and exactly that...stereotypes. Take your piddly racist ass out of here.

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 12-09-2015 at 11:12 AM.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 05:00 AM   #6
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in the home reno district of Shanghai. Seems all the shops around here are about home renovation. Unbelievable what people will pay for furniture here. There are stores around me selling things like a chest of drawers for CDN$20,000. Nutty! At least in my complex a lot of people like to take care of the street cats. My wife and I have two cats at home and probably another 15 outside that we feed and take care of along with others in the complex.

I'm sure that doesn't help with OP's issue, but I would be interested to know where any poster lives.

Edit: To add my Calgary experience

I grew up in Hawkwood. I loved it. When I was growing up, the pond that is now part of a retirement/nursing home was just a public pond and beyond that was the countryside. I spent my childhood with my brother and my best friend playing in that pond and in little forests as well as in the construction sites of new houses being developed. I felt so free and had so much fun in my childhood. We spent summers riding bikes, catching frogs and salamanders, setting fires, shooting slingshots and just generally having fun and exploring.

The neighbourhood seemed to go through a rough period, but I was back in Calgary for the first time in a long time this summer and spent time with my bro and best friend in our childhood stomping grounds (even hanging out drunkenly under the crab apple tree in my childhood backyard well after midnight) and I thought it seemed like the neighbourhood had come back around to having more young families and feeling like a positive place to be.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

Last edited by JohnnyB; 11-19-2015 at 05:38 AM.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #7
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in a weird neighbourhood that is one long street with nothing on either side. It's really close to the 69th St train station. I like our area a lot because we are near C.O.P. so it's near the far western border of the city, but it's only a 10 minute drive to downtown.

Anywhere near Coach Hill/Patterson/Cougar Ridge south to Signal Hill near the shopping center is extremely convenient to get around Calgary.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:32 AM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
Screw anyone else that has this attitude about the NE. The stereotypes about the NE are unfounded and exactly that...stereotypes. Take your piddly racist ass out of here.

Have you lived in any other quadrants or is the NE the only place you've lived?

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:05 AM   #9
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post

This is why you don't want to live in the NE.

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #10
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Edit: To add my Calgary experience

I grew up in Hawkwood. I loved it. When I was growing up, the pond that is now part of a retirement/nursing home was just a public pond and beyond that was the countryside. I spent my childhood with my brother and my best friend playing in that pond and in little forests as well as in the construction sites of new houses being developed. I felt so free and had so much fun in my childhood. We spent summers riding bikes, catching frogs and salamanders, setting fires, shooting slingshots and just generally having fun and exploring.

The neighbourhood seemed to go through a rough period, but I was back in Calgary for the first time in a long time this summer and spent time with my bro and best friend in our childhood stomping grounds (even hanging out drunkenly under the crab apple tree in my childhood backyard well after midnight) and I thought it seemed like the neighbourhood had come back around to having more young families and feeling like a positive place to be.
Thanks for the nostalgia trip! Pretty much my memories of growing up in Hawkwood too. Can't believe they sold off that pond land and let it get fenced in later on, even though I was in high school at that time I was sad to see that happen, knowing that lots of kids wouldn't get the same experiences you and I had there. At least the sledding hill remains open.

As for my current neighbourhood of Sunnyside:

Pros:

-Close proximity to downtown
-Great sense of community, you know your neighbours
-Kensington entertainment/shopping district
-Proximity to Eau Claire/Chinatown areas
-Sunnyside LRT station right in the community
-Prince's Island Park
-Riley Park
-Bow river pathway system at your doorstep pretty much
-Great mix of renters, owners, singles, couples, families, seniors
-Great mix of housing (single family, townhouse, small apartment, new mid-rise buildings)
-At least 3 or 4 of us CP'ers live there

Cons:

-Generally more expensive (but there are some deals out there)
-Property taxes are high
-If you are looking for larger homes there are fewer to choose from
-Hipsters (although some may put this in the "pro" column)
-Sometimes it floods

Overall my wife and I are incredibly happy to be here, and have no plans to ever leave the community if we can work it that way.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canyon Meadows

Pros:
- Safe/quite
- Great access to Fish Creek Park and Kananaskis (via 22x west).
- Ctrain station

Cons:
- It's pretty boring
- Not a ton of unique restaurants/bars in the area.
- The commute, I grow to hate it a little more each week.

Truth be told I'm eyeing a move in the next 2 years to get back to the Glamorgan/Killarney/Bankview area of the city.

Last edited by Regular_John; 11-19-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 07:11 AM   #12
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cool to hear about other cities too!

I agree with the sentiments about the westside of the city, plus I've heard that train line isn't all that busy yet.

I grew up in shawnessy, where schools were all walked to, and we had a huge park and fish creek to play in. Great place.. until you need to get downtown or to the university. Homes mostly built in the 80s.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the Marda Loop area (Garrison, Altadore, South Calgary.) We lived there for many years and my mom lives there. It is a great area that has great access to many parts of the city. We moved out of the area because I didn't want to pay $750,000+ for an infill. Another area that I strongly considered and think will be an awesome area is the new Currie Barracks development. It is really pricey though and will take a number of years for all the homes and amenities to get built.

That being said, we decided to get a house in Varsity. It is a good area that has an aging population which is slowly being replaced by young families. It has great quick and easy access into the downtown core by car or train. The area has two train stations (Brentwood and Dalhouise) which can be walked to from most of the community. Home prices can be pretty reasonable especially if you don't mind purchasing a house that needs some renovations. There are four elementary schools in the community (public, Catholic, early French immersion and francophone.)
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #14
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

McKenzie Towne:

Pros
- Close to the new hospital
- Awesome pubs & restaurants
- Decent walkability for a suburb as everything is fairy close together (High Street, anyway)
- Easy access to Deerfoot & Stoney
- New schools being built

Cons
- Commute to & from downtown can be tricky, depending on what time you leave home/work. I drive downtown or take the bus around 6:00, and it's not too bad (20-30 mins, 30-40 on the bus), and come home around 3:30 and again it's not bad. If you wait though it's brutal.
- No train, yet.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

McKenzie also stinks of poop at night
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #16
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
McKenzie also stinks of poop at night
...Not that I've noticed.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #17
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in Bridgeland. I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in town for the sole fact that we have easy access to much of the best that the inner-city has to offer, yet we're still a self-contained neighborhood that offers some peace and quiet and space if you need it.

Pros:
• We have amazing access to really good park space and bike paths. St Patricks, the Zoo, Science Centre, Inglewood Bird Sanctuary are all a few minutes away. For a young family, this is probably the biggest pro.
• We're close to all the good cultural/social stuff of the inner city, but not right in it. You can go to a bar or restaurant, without having to listen to a bunch of drunk woo girls, or motorbikes gunning it, at 3am.
• We're right next to East Village. Having that as a destination gets better every year. Once the NMC, Library, and all the other amenities are built out, it will get even better. We're also close to other great neighborhoods like Inglewood like Sunnyside.
• We have some of the best restaurants in town (Black Pig, Shiki Menya, Burger 320, Blue Star Diner) are all about 2-3 minute walk out my door.
• This is a neighborhood with interesting character and history, something that is lacking in most parts of Calgary.
• Stores with actual personality...namely Bridgeland Market and Lukes.
• We have an LRT station.
• Easy as pie access to Downtown. The commute is minimal and you have options. You can walk/bike or take the LRT.
• We're mostly on a hill, so no flooding for the vast majority of us.
• Speaking of hills, amazing views of downtown.
• We're technically in the NE, so prices are cheaper than some other inner-city neighborhoods, most which have less amenities.
• Deerfoot is easily accessible if you need it.
• A really nice mix of families, old people, young people.
• Plenty of room for growth in the West part of the neighborhood.

Cons:
• Inner-city taxes.
• Still rough around the edges in the west part of the neighborhood.
• It would be nice to have a big grocery store.
• We get some spillover from the Drop-in Centre at times, so you get the odd hobo rifling through your trash, or drunk weirdo.
• Even though we are cheaper than some other neighborhoods, buying a house here is getting really expensive. If you need a tear-down, you can either get a 600k tear-down, or pay 1 Million+ for an infill.
• We need another bridge across Memorial!

Last edited by Table 5; 11-19-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #18
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harvest Hills

Pros:
- Prices range from 420k-800k going West to East (affordable-ish)
- It's the nicest of the 4 "hills" communities
- Close to a lot of amenities (including the good T&T) and delicious restaurants
- It's a pretty quick commute Southbound
- Easy access to Deerfoot, Country Hills Bv, Beddington Bv, Centre Street, Stoney, 14 Street and the airport
- Quiet
- All houses are <18 years old
- Not under a landing zone
- Handful of golf courses nearby
- Catholic K-9 within community
- Racially diverse (see: good food nearby)
- Cheapest liquor store in the North

Cons:
- Filled with NIMBY idiots
- No upscale restaurants or bars within a 10m drive
- Home valuation increase is less on a year-to-year than some other communities
- Every ####### here owns 4+ cars and parks them all in the street because their garage is full of crap
- You're technically in the NE so everyone thinks you're in a slum til they come visit
- Proximity to Coventry Hills and Panorama, which are getting a rep for grow-ops and drug crime
- No C-Train for at least 10 years (though the Centre Street express bus routes are pretty great)
- 96 Avenue is 60 KPH for some ungodly reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #19
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pumphill

Pros:
-Nicest houses in Calgary
-The Jewish Community Centre (JCC) is a fabulous facility. Has swimming pools, workout facilities, childcare, etc. Probably the least busiest gym in the city. Great prices and you don't have to be a Jew to be a member
-Glenmore Landing right across the street with pretty much everything you need
-Quiet neighborhood
-Being along 90th ave, it's close to the major arteries like 14th Street S and Glenmore Tr
-Close walk to reservoir
-Will be awesome commute to NW once the ring road is built behind
-Heritage station 5 mins away
-Some of the houses are truly majestic and it's fun to drive through those areas, especially during Xmas
-High Jewish population and everyone is very welcoming and friendly

Cons:
-Highest property tax in the city
-Glenmore Landing is closebye, but it's always full of old people who are retired and don't know how to navigate a parking lot
-The liquor store in Glenmore landing closes at 7pm
-Occasional vandalism on the Jewish buildings, but it's gotten better recently
-Somehow a homeless guy made it here and he goes thru the bins every weekend
-After weekend synagogue, many people don't know how to use the sidewalk and literally walk in lines in the middle of the street
-If 90th Ave is gridlocked, you're not getting out of that area

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 11-19-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #20
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Scenic Acres

Pros:
-smallish, quiet community
-good access points to major roads (Stoney, Crowchild)
-lots of green spaces
-close to Crowfoot and other shopping centres
-right on the c-train line
-city can't really sprawl into Bearspaw/Springbank, so congestion shouldn't increase by a lot

Cons:
-any retail or restaurants nearby are of the chain/big box variety
-other than the gas station, can't really walk to any stores/services either
-no community lake
calf is offline   Reply With Quote