Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2022, 08:19 PM   #1
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:
Icon35 Clark Gillies passes away

Sad news. Those on CP that are old like me will remember him as a big, good player that was a huge part of those dominant Islanders teams of the 80's.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1484723889364164609
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:23 PM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

"Jethro"

Big part of those Islander SC teams.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

My dad brought me up an islander fan and he was a huge Gillies fan.
4 straight cups.....and a Alberta boy.
67 is way too young.
Rip
EVERLAST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #4
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

RIP. Just did a little reading and found out an interesting tidbit about him and teammate Bob Bourne. Before they were teammates on Long Island for 12 years from 1974-1986, they were teammates for the 1972 Covington (Virginia) Astros, a professional BASEBALL affiliate of the Houston Astros. That is absolutely wild. Two young guys from Saskatchewan end up playing professional baseball in the US South as teenagers, then end up winning 4 Stanley Cups together.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 09:46 PM   #5
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
RIP. Just did a little reading and found out an interesting tidbit about him and teammate Bob Bourne. Before they were teammates on Long Island for 12 years from 1974-1986, they were teammates for the 1972 Covington (Virginia) Astros, a professional BASEBALL affiliate of the Houston Astros. That is absolutely wild. Two young guys from Saskatchewan end up playing professional baseball in the US South as teenagers, then end up winning 4 Stanley Cups together.
Great player and guy.

Clark and his wife named one of their children after Bob.

Bourne.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 09:58 PM   #6
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
Justin Bourne from Sportsnet (Bob’s son) is married to Clark’s daughter and they have a couple of kids or at least one. They must be devastated.

Man this sucks, I really feel for them.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 11:12 PM   #7
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Bobby Nystrom and Clark Gilles reflect on Gillies' fight with Behn Wilson at The Boston Garden.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #8
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Very sad news. Growing up in Moose Jaw, he was a true legend and home town hero. I lived and died hockey. Many long days were spent on the ODR's. Wherever the best shinney was happening. I followed the Regina Pats and Moose Jaw Canucks. The Pats because of Clarke Gillies and another Moose Javian, goalie Ed Stanioski. Ed went on to a decent NHL career playing for St. Louis and Winnipeg. The Canucks because they were Moose Jaw's team. I was able to see many games at the crushed can in the 70's Notable Canuck names I saw in person - Willie Desjardins, Bryan Trottier, Doug Smail and Mitch Bozak (Tyler's father). Crazy hockey back then. I remember my friend's dad going over the glass and onto the ice.
I have a few Clarke Gillies stories. When he was drafted by the Islanders it was huge news in Moose Jaw. Clarke was on a talk show. I called in and was able to congratulate him and chat hockey. I was 11 or 12 years old. What a moment! Another one is when my mom and dad and a few of my siblings were driving from Moose Jaw to Regina to do some shopping. Who passes us in a sweet new Chevy Chevelle SS - Clarke Gillies. Mesmerizing. Supposely going to the Regina aiport to report to the Islanders. My last story is 20 years or so later. I worked at Kananaskis Country Golf Course. Long story short, I was contacted by a friend of a friend and Clarke Gillies wanted to play Kananaskis. At the time, there was a pro sports celebrity golf circuit or something like that. I remember Mario Lemeuix playing in it. Clarke was an exceptional golfer. The next tournament was in Colorado somewhere and close to the same elevation as Kananaskis. I was able to arrange a tee time for Clarke and his travelling partner, a Long Island businessman. And, I played 18 holes of golf on Mt. Lorette with my hockey idol Clarke Gillies. He could crush the ball. Something I will never forget.
Again sad news and way too young.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote