Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2022, 03:14 PM   #1
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Brotherly love in the Flames room

Hi all. I didn't see this in the other threads, but it's really relevant to the pandemic changes we've seen in hockey - and hockey reporting (nod to the Pissy population up north).

One thing we don't get to do anymore is see inside the locker-room, which makes the interpersonal dynamics of the room, and the players, much harder to share with fans.

But the Mangiapane/Andersson relationship always seems to find a way to shine through.

A few quotes from Andersson after his first goal of the season highlighted that bond again. Thought it would be a good one to share. Apologies if it showed up somewhere earlier and I missed it.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...ew-mangiapane/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

All good Steve, thanks for posting.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 03:26 PM   #3
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames’ leading goal-scorer this season has 18 markers (Matthew Tkachuk is closing in). Mangiapane has just one at home all year.

And then there’s that goal drought: six games to this point, with just one in his last 10 games. They’ll both look to add to their totals against the Oilers in Edmonton on Saturday.
Mangiapane always goes off in Edmonton. Back to wearing his favourite white jersey too
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:27 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as a sports fan, i always try to wrap my head around what it must truly be like in sports locker rooms as they are a unqiue workplace filled with lots of A+ personalities.

you have guys trying to fit in, navigate long standing team traditions agaisnt making new ones, they spend a lot of time away from home together, shower together, most have lots of money etc.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

2 of the most important players in the locker room IMO.
Raz just needs to shoot more and his pts will come.
It is really neat that these 2 go back as far as they do and having a pair like this in the room has to help .

I used to play football with 2 Brothers who brought the whole team closer because everyone was included .
When they were off the rest of us were but when they brought their A games watch out ....we dominated.

Raz is important and Darryl needs him to get going too . Mangiapane just needs to keep motoring along like we always see. He is our best player but is being keyed on by the opposition since he's played so well.
Hoping both pop some goals on Saturday before jerseys come raining down onto the ice .

G F G
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:57 PM   #6
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The dynamics of the locker-room were the best part about sports reporting. Seeing the interactions. Getting to sit and talk to one while another nearby observed and soaked it all in and then chime in with something organic. All of that in the pandemic has made things very different. Stories can't be as good because they're all either based just one some words or opinion - there's no colour to add.

It's really an unfortunate byproduct because you know there's so much more happening behind the scenes.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #7
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
The dynamics of the locker-room were the best part about sports reporting. Seeing the interactions. Getting to sit and talk to one while another nearby observed and soaked it all in and then chime in with something organic. All of that in the pandemic has made things very different. Stories can't be as good because they're all either based just one some words or opinion - there's no colour to add.

It's really an unfortunate byproduct because you know there's so much more happening behind the scenes.
So what is your take on what we saw with Matheson and Draisaitl?

For me who has watched these things for close to 5 decades, it was remarkable (and obvious) to me what JM was trying to get LD to say. It was never going to be uttered and when the player snapped back, JM playing the whole "why are you being pissy" took it to another level.

I mean, great theater but ridiculous to believe it would end any other way.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:43 PM   #8
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So what is your take on what we saw with Matheson and Draisaitl?

For me who has watched these things for close to 5 decades, it was remarkable (and obvious) to me what JM was trying to get LD to say. It was never going to be uttered and when the player snapped back, JM playing the whole "why are you being pissy" took it to another level.

I mean, great theater but ridiculous to believe it would end any other way.
Draisaitl was definitely pissy, but he gave an answer and didn't want to expand and Jim has to work with what's given. It's great when we get quotes that fit our stories but a good writer should be able to write around whatever is said. And Jim didn't need to escalate the situation either. There's just no need. Laugh it off. Write a story about it. But engaging in a pissing match like that is no good for either of them and should have been avoided. Should have been handled better all around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 11:24 PM   #9
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Jim was incredibly unprofessional.

I’d be embarrassed if I was him because he looks a lot worse than Draisaitl in that exchange.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 11:26 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Jim was incredibly unprofessional.

I’d be embarrassed if I was him because he looks a lot worse than Draisaitl in that exchange.
They looked equally bad to me. It was something of a pissing match.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:28 PM   #11
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
Draisaitl was definitely pissy, but he gave an answer and didn't want to expand and Jim has to work with what's given. It's great when we get quotes that fit our stories but a good writer should be able to write around whatever is said. And Jim didn't need to escalate the situation either. There's just no need. Laugh it off. Write a story about it. But engaging in a pissing match like that is no good for either of them and should have been avoided. Should have been handled better all around.
As a professional, you would think it would be easy to interview someone who has a low end high school diploma level of education. At the top end of academia, you're interviewing someone who is in a university because of their talents and not their intelligence. That should be incredibly simple but Matheson makes it look diffucult
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:30 PM   #12
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They looked equally bad to me. It was something of a pissing match.

I kind of see where you are coming from, but one guy’s main job is playing the game, the other guy’s main job is using his words.

Sad if “Why are you so pissy?” is the level upon which the guy who is supposed to use his words is operating
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:47 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I kind of see where you are coming from, but one guy’s main job is playing the game, the other guy’s main job is using his words.

Sad if “Why are you so pissy?” is the level upon which the guy who is supposed to use his words is operating
Okay, principally I agree with you and was just trying to work 'pissing match' into a quip.

That being said though, while Draisaitl's primary job is playing the game, dealing with media is a part of that job. And it can be as easy or as hard as they want to make it.

They get media training. They know the score. All Draisaitl had to do was shut up or say 'next question.'

Matheson baited him, but he swallowed that bait hook, line and sinker.

And here is the problem. Draisaitl is the news. I couldnt pick Jim Matheson out of a Police Lineup, so the most obvious and visual element of all of this remains Draisaitl.

And Matheson knows it.

Draisaitl got played, but 95% of the Hockey world is going to look at this and think:

"Jim Who?"

"Oh! Leon? That guy that is 3rd in the NHL in points? What a maroon!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: