Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-24-2022, 08:40 AM   #61
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Cool! Note that he plays with the NZ National Team (has 2 caps), and had a cup of coffee with the Whitecaps FC2 and the main team (on the bench).

Unfortunately he couldn't make the A-League a couple of years ago, and also spent a year with TS Galaxy in the South African Premier League, but went back with Auckland City.

I want to say this is a good signing, but looks like a depth move at best. Wouldn't call this a premier signing by any means, although pretty neat to get a Kiwi national team member.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:04 AM   #62
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Bevan some when he was with WFC 2 and didn't rate him at the time. Played at similar levels to Selemani and has his Canadian citizenship so likely a replacement for him. Not particularly excited about the signing....

Last edited by shermanator; 01-24-2022 at 09:06 AM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #63
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

If our offensive hopes will be Mason and Novak then it will be a frustrating year.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #64
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

To be honest the biggest gap IMO is midfield. We haven't recovered properly from losing Buscher.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #65
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We've got a few holes to fill. A right back (or two), centre back, likely another LB to cover for Field and at least one offensive midfielder.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 03:23 PM   #66
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/sta...36262484959233

Old 01-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #67
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Klomp and/or Escalante?!

Maybe a new assistant coach?
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #68
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
To be honest the biggest gap IMO is midfield. We haven't recovered properly from losing Buscher.
Totally agree. The midfield was especially porous last season and when it’s obvious everything comes up the wings, it’s easier to defend.

I suspect with a solid CM signing, guys like Mason will look a lot more dangerous.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #69
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the return of Escalante, Klomp, Loturi and Fisk. All are on 2 year contracts with club options for 2024. Only two players left that I know of that are signed but not yet announced.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/c...-league-season

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 05:36 PM   #70
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great news. All four are signed to multi-year contracts. So, so relieved Klomp is back!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #71
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m still hoping for some new blood and improvements. It’s great to have Klomp and Escalante back, but players like Novak, Di Chiara and probably a couple others that don’t jump to mind right now aren’t good enough for us to challenge at this point. Maybe they’ll have a big jump this year, and that would be great.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:53 PM   #72
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps Joe Mason can open up his Rolodex with Tommy and find some more English and European talent to bring over. Use those connections!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:02 PM   #73
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I'm secretly hoping for an early 30's guy from Europe that wants to use Cavalry to resurrect his career and look like a god among men at this level.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:28 PM   #74
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love Escalante, we need more players that have his willingness to dribble at defenders and who have the confidence to try stuff.
These are four great returnees, really happy to have them all back
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #75
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the 15 players announced that are returning, I think there are 13 that are solid pieces to the club, Di Chiara and Novak being the exceptions. But Cavalry's attack is still completely lacking any bite and hopefully some new additions will address those weaknesses in the side.

With the roster we've announced so far I don't see how we are not a playoff side. But it's hard to put out largely the same roster that was so inconsistent last year and expect better results.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 07:24 PM   #76
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'm secretly hoping for an early 30's guy from Europe that wants to use Cavalry to resurrect his career and look like a god among men at this level.

When’s Luka Modric’s contract up?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 08:01 PM   #77
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Of the 15 players announced that are returning, I think there are 13 that are solid pieces to the club, Di Chiara and Novak being the exceptions. But Cavalry's attack is still completely lacking any bite and hopefully some new additions will address those weaknesses in the side.

With the roster we've announced so far I don't see how we are not a playoff side. But it's hard to put out largely the same roster that was so inconsistent last year and expect better results.
What do you think about Simmons? I wasn't blown away with him last year, but like you say it was a really inconsistent year overall.

I should say that with Mason and today's signings (announced) though, I'm pretty happy. I think that Klomp was so good for us, and Loturri as well. I still hope we add a piece or two and both solidify the midfield and add some attacking threat. I feel like we could've used someone else on the offence last season, and now with Farsi leaving I'd like to see two more there. But I guess I should probably prepare for disappointment there!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:10 PM   #78
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

What happened to that centre back from Peru that was supposed to be signing? Did that deal not happen?
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #79
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
What do you think about Simmons? I wasn't blown away with him last year, but like you say it was a really inconsistent year overall.

I should say that with Mason and today's signings (announced) though, I'm pretty happy. I think that Klomp was so good for us, and Loturri as well. I still hope we add a piece or two and both solidify the midfield and add some attacking threat. I feel like we could've used someone else on the offence last season, and now with Farsi leaving I'd like to see two more there. But I guess I should probably prepare for disappointment there!
I'm pretty indifferent on Simmons. Much prefer him to Di Chiara, and with Ledgerwood at the end of his career and Adekugbe coming off his second achilles tear I think he'll be an important piece. But then again adding Loturi and Norman that's 6 defensive minded midfielders which is far too many for me. Maybe Norman plays at CB though...

Old 01-24-2022, 09:44 PM   #80
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Perhaps Joe Mason can open up his Rolodex with Tommy and find some more English and European talent to bring over. Use those connections!
Well the Rams are about to go into receivership, so Rooney will be available...

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavalry , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good