Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:
Default The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers]

Did anyone on else watch it this morning?

I love me some Star Wars, but this was kinda meh for me. I was never a huge Fett fanboy either so I hope my confidence in Favreau and Filoni that it will get better form here on in isn't misplaced... but this was kinda a shrug my shoulders episode.

So it shows how he escapes the Sarlacc... why the hell was there a Storm Trooper in there? I don't remember the Empire being at the battle. Then he gets his butt kicked by a few sand people, but later is able to take out a giant sand Goro?

I really hope it gets better.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Did anyone on else watch it this morning?

I love me some Star Wars, but this was kinda meh for me. I was never a huge Fett fanboy either so I hope my confidence in Favreau and Filoni that it will get better form here on in isn't misplaced... but this was kinda a shrug my shoulders episode.

So it shows how he escapes the Sarlacc... why the hell was there a Storm Trooper in there? I don't remember the Empire being at the battle. Then he gets his butt kicked by a few sand people, but later is able to take out a giant sand Goro?

I really hope it gets better.

i haven't watched the episode yet - but as for the storm trooper... doesn't c3po say in return of the jedi that you are slowly digested over a thousand years in the sarlacc pit... so the storm trooper could have been there a while

i can't wait to watch the episode - i LOVE boba fett! i even made myself a bobafett hockey jersey years ago...

Spoiler!
Old 12-29-2021, 04:57 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I didn't mind it, I think the idea of it was to more develop the backstory on Boba and fill in the blanks.

Remember the Sarlacc digests people over a thousand years, slowly and painfully. Also remember that stormtroopers pretty well flooded the planet during ANH. This episode really made it easy to hate Jawas.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a bit slow, but I haven't seen much content that shows off 4K Dolby Vision on an OLED like this.

It's pretty cool that we are at a place where they can produce these 7-8 figure per episode SW shows and can start them as slow burners and let them develop. I feel pretty confident this series will pay off.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I liked it, a slice of the bigger universe, and I am curious where the story will go. I do have some questions, did Boba kill the Sarlacc with his flamethrower ? It looked dead when he climbed out of the sand. And what was the name of the multi-armed monster? Is it new of a lore Easter egg?

My other questions will probably be answered deeper in the series.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had hoped that escaping the sarlacc would be more of a challenge, something that only a highly skilled mandalorian could pull off. If all it took was a little flame broiling, I don’t know how that thing lived so long, swallowing all sorts of people with heavy Star Wars weapons. Victims would be blastering its insides constantly.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:53 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It looked dead, at first I thought it was the tendril that Han shot in ROTJ. But he didn't shoot if off. So possibly dead but flame throwing out of a monster would likely kill anything, though the Sarlacc is about the side of a city block and as tall as the Empire State building.

The monster that attacked Boba is brand new to the Star Wars universe.

At first I thought that the Ninja's were working for the Mayor, its simple and it makes sense, but my gut says they're from something bigger. Black Sun was pretty much wiped out during the Clone Wars, however the biggest criminal gang is Crimson Dawn, and frankly they would be really interested in taking over Jabba's territory. So I wonder if we get a link to Qi'ra from Solo.

Its interesting that Fett needs to sleep in a Bacta tank. When he came out of the Pit he didn't look that bad, and maybe he got over fried in the Desert.

I also think there could be a really cool opportunity of bringing another major character over from Legends, as A'shared Hett was a former Jedi that became a leader of the Sand people and eventually became Darth Krayt in the Legends EU.

I did like the first episode from and establishment point of view, and the building of a salt and pepper relationship with Frennic.

Oh and again Jawa's are jerks that need to be wiped out.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I had hoped that escaping the sarlacc would be more of a challenge, something that only a highly skilled mandalorian could pull off. If all it took was a little flame broiling, I don’t know how that thing lived so long, swallowing all sorts of people with heavy Star Wars weapons. Victims would be blastering its insides constantly.

True, I wanted it to be more of a challenge. At first I wanted to see him blast out with his jet pack. But him coming out of the desert looked really awesome.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #9
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed the episode for what it was. Not sure it’s going to be The Mandalorian or anything, but these shows actually feel like Star Wars, and after the sequel trilogy that’s all I can ask for.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2021, 11:40 PM   #10
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished. Thought it was a good start.

Looking forward to watching the series.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:12 AM   #11
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I was so happy when I heard Matt Berry's voice come out of the droid.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:25 AM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I didn’t think Boba was a Mandalorian.

I like the “Western” feel again. An old gunslinger trying to settle down.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #13
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought it was very good, TV shows have shown a lot more self control than the movies to day, would be nice to just get some stories without crushing them under the weight of fan expectation, and the need to connect back to everything.

The only nit I have, I don't mind seeing Boba playing the role of Caesar the forgiver, but if they don't show he still has a vicious streak when crossed, we are going to feel like he should be getting stabbed in the back at every turn. He should have brutally and violently crushed those guys with the shields while the whole town watched.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:54 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He disintegrated a ninja who was fleeing with a wrist rocket, that seems to be pretty vicious. Of course Frennic flat out murdered a dude.

I think we'll see a vindictive Boba once he figured out who put on the hit.

I barely recognized Jennifer Beals under all of that makeup.

I like that the show kind of had that whole Western feel to it as well.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I didn’t think Boba was a Mandalorian.

I like the “Western” feel again. An old gunslinger trying to settle down.
The Mandalorians are a funny bunch in lore, There are lots of non Mandalorians who are adopted into their culture. Basically as long as you swear to their credo you can put on the armor and join their brotherhood.

Jango was a Mando, well he was once AOTC's came out and he was reinvented. While Boba is a clone of his father he has Mando DNA.

In the Legends EU, in the Republic Commando book, a bunch of clone commandos deserted during the fall of the Republic with their Mandalorian trainer and they were adopted into Mando society.

Old 12-30-2021, 01:44 AM   #16
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fennec
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:20 AM   #17
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I thought it was very good, TV shows have shown a lot more self control than the movies to day, would be nice to just get some stories without crushing them under the weight of fan expectation, and the need to connect back to everything.

The only nit I have, I don't mind seeing Boba playing the role of Caesar the forgiver, but if they don't show he still has a vicious streak when crossed, we are going to feel like he should be getting stabbed in the back at every turn. He should have brutally and violently crushed those guys with the shields while the whole town watched.
He did want to keep one of the ninjas alive.... They also know parkour. So pretty hard to crush.

Seriously though I thought it was pretty great. Was more story telling focused and didn't have the mass appeal of baby Yoda, so I could see a lot of none old school fans not liking this.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:08 AM   #18
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it, the wife liked it, on board to see where it goes! Though I found the flashback / post-Sarlacc stuff more interesting than his 'present day' storyline so far.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was kind of bad. The fight scenes were terrible. I like The Mandalorian so I am holding out hope this gets better as Robert Rodriguez is capable of more than this.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #20
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the episode overall. But I definitely agree with EE's take on the fight scenes, which gave me the impression that they didn't spend much time on the choreography and kinda half-assed it.

There were a lot of cool moments though, and I'm certainly invested enough to see where it goes.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote