Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 12:35 AM   #121
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odd question tonight that Rick Nash’s nickname is “the thin reaper”
Has anyone heard this before?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #122
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Odd question tonight that Rick Nash’s nickname is “the thin reaper”
Has anyone heard this before?
It was “Slim Reaper”

I know that’s a nickname for Kevin Durant, but never heard that for Nash.

I thought they made a mistake and referenced the wrong sport, but some fans pulled up some old tweets, apparently that was a thing:
https://twitter.com/user/status/601970687679590400
https://twitter.com/user/status/602083127977185280
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:02 PM   #123
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amy is a helluva player. She's not coming close to losing. This one could go on a while still.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 03:03 PM   #124
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's beating a dead horse, but...

Alex Trebek's 'Jeopardy!' pick Laura Coates claims she was rejected as guest host

https://canoe.com/entertainment/cele...8-d50ab35868db

'I certainly raised my hand and knocked on doors and found them closed,' CNN legal analyst says

You'd figure if Trebek name checked you, you should have gotten a shot.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #125
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh...not always that simple.

Lots of people are handpicked by successors but dont work out for one reason or another.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:18 AM   #126
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Eh...not always that simple.

Lots of people are handpicked by successors but dont work out for one reason or another.
Not saying she should have gotten the job, but at least have given the chance.
She would have been a better choice as a guest host than someone like Dr Oz, or the morning show people.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:52 AM   #127
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Didn't Trebek also want the Kings pbp guy at one point as well?

Regardless I really wish they'd put a cap on these epic runs. 10 or 15 days is enough. I didn't like James Holzhauer's run, I didn't like Matt Amodeo's run, and I don't like Amy Schneider's. I get annoyed when they pull way into ahead.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:15 AM   #128
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

Regardless I really wish they'd put a cap on these epic runs. 10 or 15 days is enough. I didn't like James Holzhauer's run, I didn't like Matt Amodeo's run, and I don't like Amy Schneider's. I get annoyed when they pull way into ahead.
I love it and it is the only time I turn in. Every night you get the opportunity to see something Jeopardy history defining (New high score vs elimination)

Probably the difference between the casual viewer vs the everyday viewer
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:20 AM   #129
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I tapped out once the guest hosts became less and less inspired so can't really comment on Matt/Amy's runs but James' was electrifying. Never really saw a contestant wager/play like he did and running up 100K scores multiple times was amazing to watch.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #130
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

Disagree, I like them. I also think they're a lot harder to maintain than people might think.

James' run literally changed the game, that was amazing.

As of right now though I'd say Amy has been easily my favourite contestant since Holzhauer.

She doesnt hunt for Daily Doubles, she doesnt play top-down, she gets the odd answer wrong, she is conservative on Daily Doubles (which I dont like) but she bets big on Final Jeopardy (which I do like) and she doesnt mess around.

You can tell when she is clearly guessing and Ken ribs her playfully when she does it.

Amy is getting by and winning money on pure guts, grind and intelligence. She's been fun to watch!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 10:27 AM   #131
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anything, these epic runs by Matt and Amy have sucked me back into Jeopardy. It’s way more intriguing for me to see if they can keep their streaks going or if they will finally lose.

It’s no longer the big 3 (Ken, James, Brad) of Jeopardy GOATs, it’s now a big 5.

I did have a bad feeling Amy might lose this week. I hope I’m wrong.

And make Ken the full-time host please.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:35 AM   #132
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
If anything, these epic runs by Matt and Amy have sucked me back into Jeopardy. It’s way more intriguing for me to see if they can keep their streaks going or if they will finally lose.

It’s no longer the big 3 (Ken, James, Brad) of Jeopardy GOATs, it’s now a big 5.

I did have a bad feeling Amy might lose this week. I hope I’m wrong.

And make Ken the full-time host please.
Weird...I got that feeling too. She bets on her Doubles like clockwork and I noticed that she's started deviating, which is usually a sign of concern. She's also recently answered Final incorrectly a couple of times which is out of character for her.

She is a 'steady Eddy' player who would use her accumulated winnings to bet big on Final so yeah, I understand your feeling. This might be her last week or she could rally.

I dont mind if she loses though, she has nothing left to prove and she's made north of $1M. There is no way she can go down and not still be considered an epic winner.

And agreed on Ken. Sorry to everyone else, but its like that man was born to host Jeopardy.

I was a huge proponent of LeVar Burton and I think given a little more time to find a groove in the role he'd have been a good fit, but Jennings just seems perfect. No quibbles, he just does the job effortlessly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 10:04 PM   #133
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken keeps the game moving which is the number one thing
I hate it when they don’t get to all the clues because the host is slow
Old 01-26-2022, 06:28 PM   #134
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Amy lost. Streak over. Or so I hear. Didn’t watch yet.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:43 PM   #135
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm shocked she didn't get FJ
Old 01-26-2022, 09:24 PM   #136
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odd game. She struggled the entire time. And the questions were much easier than normal - including showing literal pictures of things (e.g. showing a cardinal where the answer was cardinal, or showing a picture of John Elway when the answer was...John Elway)

I scored my 2nd highest score since I've started tracking.

I would say it was a significantly easier game than normal. Odd.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #137
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow she didn't even guess! I knew the answer although being a Cricket fan probably helped.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:17 PM   #138
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did say it earlier in this thread, Amy works to build up a lead and then bets big on Final which she had been routinely getting right...up until recently.

Its been a while since Amy nailed a Final Jeopardy question, so that was going to bite her in the ass at some point if she wasnt running away with the game.

In this episode someone was within touching distance of her score, got the Final question right and bet big enough and she got it wrong.

Normally she'd be able to get it wrong and survive, and she'd done this a number of times, but eventually that was going to backfire.

Either way though, kudos to Amy, a hell of an achievement, a hell of a run, she made a ton of money and earned a ton of respect. Good for her. I hope she kicks some ass at her Tournament of Champions.

And now....we begin again.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:04 PM   #139
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you think they rig final jeopardy against long running contestants at a certain point? They have data for all contestants strengths and weaknesses based on pre-show testing and for a long time champion they have even more knowledge.

At some point on these streaks ratings start to dip so then do you subtlety up the difficulty until they lose.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:14 PM   #140
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do you think they rig final jeopardy against long running contestants at a certain point? They have data for all contestants strengths and weaknesses based on pre-show testing and for a long time champion they have even more knowledge.

At some point on these streaks ratings start to dip so then do you subtlety up the difficulty until they lose.
I dont know and I'm not usually a conspiracy theory kind of guy (except for the Lizard-Men that is a real threat!).

But the other contestants have to get it right. Circumstances have to go just a certain way and on top of all of that I'd bet some people love the streaks just as much as others might hate them, so it'd be a tough demographic/ratings thing to judge.

I think its more likely that she was either exhausting her knowledge or the sheer grind just wore her down over time.

Amy is in line with a lot of contestants who won a bunch of money via the grind. I think Holzhauer won way more money than she did in 8 fewer games.

Tags
double jeopardy , therapists , who is