Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2022, 06:48 AM   #4221
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Sleeper Movie,
Riders of Justice on Crave with Mads Mikkelson who is always great IMO.
Think Big Bang Theory type nerds meet a Nobody type character and go on revenge quest.
Revenge , humour, morality, and it’s a Christmas show .

It’s a Danish film and I could only understand with CC however I caught the humour but wish I understood the language as it seemed the banter was greater verses what CC in English could convey.

Fun little bit entertainment. Not highbrow , mostly popcorn and skittles.
It's style of dark humor provides a few WTF funny yet cringey moments. Mads Mikkelson is a solid actor but IMO the hackers steal the movie as they were hilarious. My only real negative is the final climax could have been executed better but overall a very entertaining film.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #4222
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Some movies we watched I forgot to comment on.

Eternals whole lotta meh. I didn’t care about any of the characters and the story was kinda boring. Too bad because you could make a heady sci-fi movie about the celestials/eternals/deviants.

Black Widow. This was fun. Actions a bit over the top but I kinda liked it. Needed more Ray Winstone. His part was too small.

Cruella. Like all of Disney’s live action movies based on beloved animated movies, this one sucked. Although this obviously wasn’t a straight remake like the others. I don’t even care about 101 Dalmatians, it was never a movie I liked as a kid but I still feel like they crapped all over the original. Even the Glenn close version. Emma Thompson played a much better Cruella than Stone did. And Stone’s performance was fine, it was the crappy writing. She was totally normal one minute and off the rails the next and would seemingly switch back and forth. It honestly would have worked better if Thompson played Cruella and Stone played her long lost daughter. Then at least the characterizations would have made sense. The costume design was awesome though. I think it’ll win an Oscar.

American Sniper. Powerful movie. Half the stuff was fabricated and Clint really likes his ‘Murica Pom Pom waiving but also showed how the USA chews up and spits out its veterans. The portrayal of Iraqis as nothing but traitorous savages was a bit over the top but hardly surprising. The baby scene, which I’d seen before, was hilarious as expected but I swear to god they made some changes since it’s original release and gussied it up a bit with digital effects.

Lady Bird. Coming of age story with Saoirse Ronan. Quality movie.

The Suicide Squad was exactly as advertised. Way better than the first one. Not amazing but funny and entertaining. I actually kinda like Peacemaker too as a follow up.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-21-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #4223
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've fully accepted that I'm a MCU fanboy as I kinda liked Eternals. It's an interesting concept if not a bit too overbaked. My biggest issue is that the film was way too ambitious. The story is much better suited to a Marvel/Disney+ series release, but the spectacle of it would have been wasted on a smaller screen. Tough situation to be in and they did the best they could, but introducing 10 characters (11 if you include Whitman) with a small backstory didn't leave them room to flesh out the individual heroes to the point of investment.

Maybe a 4-6 episode series followed by a big screen installment would have worked better.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 03:33 AM   #4224
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I've fully accepted that I'm a MCU fanboy as I kinda liked Eternals. It's an interesting concept if not a bit too overbaked. My biggest issue is that the film was way too ambitious. The story is much better suited to a Marvel/Disney+ series release, but the spectacle of it would have been wasted on a smaller screen. Tough situation to be in and they did the best they could, but introducing 10 characters (11 if you include Whitman) with a small backstory didn't leave them room to flesh out the individual heroes to the point of investment.

Maybe a 4-6 episode series followed by a big screen installment would have worked better.
The movie just generally had too much stuff in it.

Spoiler!
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:40 PM   #4225
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

So wouldn't that make it a bad movie?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #4226
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So wouldn't that make it a bad movie?
If you score it entirely on the depth of the characters. Sersi, Ikaris, Phastos, and maybe Druig had some decent treatment, and I'm interested in seeing more of the remaining characters going forward. So in that sense it did the job enough for me.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:21 AM   #4227
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I thought the 1st was the best, personally, the 2nd not so engaging, but had some moments, and the 3rd was okay but had good energy.

Yeah, an inconsistent collection of short films rather than a cohesive full film, but still better than many, many other films I can think of.
I'll say this the boobies in the first were hard to vote against.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:36 AM   #4228
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #4229
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Lady Bird. Coming of age story with Saoirse Ronan. Quality movie.
Brooklyn made the award rounds when it was released, so you might have already seen it. But it's another coming of age story with Ronan. One of my favorites in the last few years.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:54 PM   #4230
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Probably a better video before Spider-Man came out and utterly dominated the box office.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:44 PM   #4231
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I consumed a lot of Critical Drinker and similar channels when the Star Wars movies were going down the tubes and I needed an outlet for my disappointment. but after that, it just became an endless bitchfest about female or minority representation in media of any sort, regardless of merit. too bad because the guy is capable of doing decent movie analysis, but realized the path to max streaming dollars is owning the libs.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 01:48 PM   #4232
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I consumed a lot of Critical Drinker and similar channels when the Star Wars movies were going down the tubes and I needed an outlet for my disappointment. but after that, it just became an endless bitchfest about female or minority representation in media of any sort, regardless of merit. too bad because the guy is capable of doing decent movie analysis, but realized the path to max streaming dollars is owning the libs.
I got five minutes into a Critical Drinker review before I concluded “Plinkett, he ain’t.”
Old 01-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #4233
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just find it funny, probably as I dont watch any Star Wars Marvel type movies so it isnt my ox being gored
Old 01-27-2022, 01:52 PM   #4234
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Brooklyn made the award rounds when it was released, so you might have already seen it. But it's another coming of age story with Ronan. One of my favorites in the last few years.
Yeah Brooklyn was great.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 03:41 PM   #4235
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I just find it funny, probably as I dont watch any Star Wars Marvel type movies so it isnt my ox being gored
Why post a video ####ting on something that you have no interest in? Seems dumb
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #4236
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Why post a video ####ting on something that you have no interest in? Seems dumb
because I found it quite funny and I am fascinated that we live in an age of permanent adolescence now where we cant watch a serious film about mental health but we can make an 'origin' movie about a childs comic book character that is so grim and humourless that no child would touch it with a ten foot pole but adults that should know better claim it has some bearing on mental health, we always used to watch kids films but we used to know they were just kids films and drew a distinction between mindless entertainment like Superman and serious adult movies like One Flew Over The ####oos Nest, I find it odd we seem to have lost that ability.

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 01-27-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:35 PM   #4237
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
because I found it quite funny and I am fascinated that we live in an age of permanent adolescence now where we cant watch a serious film about mental health but we can make an 'origin' movie about a childs comic book character that is so grim and humourless that no child would touch it with a ten foot pole but adults that should know better claim it has some bearing on mental health, we always used to watch kids films but we used to know they were just kids films and drew a distinction between mindless entertainment like Superman and serious adult movies like One Flew Over The ####oos Nest, I find it odd we seem to have lost that ability.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 06:39 PM   #4238
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah Brooklyn was great.
Motherless Brooklyn however was terrible
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 07:00 PM   #4239
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

As someone that didn't grow up watching most of the 80s comedies that are generall considered classics, they are painful to watch now for the most part.

I recently watched through the National Lampoon Vacation movies and found maybe a couple scenes kinda humorous. Just bland overall.

Police Academy is flat out terrible. Michael Winslow's sound effects are the only redeemable part of the entire movie. It's just embarrassing to see all the gay and racist jokes that were apparently considered hilarious back then.

I'm amazed that people found Rodney Dangerfield funny, I don't get his appeal at all.

John Hughes movies might be the only ones that hold up reasonably well IMO. Big, This is Spinal Tap, and Clue are also great.

Last edited by AC; 01-27-2022 at 07:04 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:05 PM   #4240
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^####, I love Clue.

True story, a friend of mine was of the age to see it in the theatre. You know how they show alternate endings in the DVD....or whatever people are watching it on now? Well I guess as a marketing ploy, they originally were showing it with only one of the endings randomly at every theatre. Basically, you never knew what ending you were going to get, and if you decided to pay to see it again, you might get a drastically different ending.

I just thought that was an ingenious way to market a movie in an era when people ONLY went to the theatre to see a movie. Guaranteed to have some repeat viewers.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: