Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2021, 11:16 PM   #4281
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Comic book movies need to go away. I realize they won’t because they print mountains of money. I just don’t have interest in them and I’m looking forward to when this phase in Hollywood moves on.
I wouldn't hold your breath. They have 18 Spiderman movies in development.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:37 PM   #4282
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
They're a genre like romcom or horror. I just avoid the genres I don't like.
A genre that dominates the cineplex. It would be nice if some of that talent and budget would be directed towards some other projects.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:46 PM   #4283
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Comic book movies need to go away. I realize they won’t because they print mountains of money. I just don’t have interest in them and I’m looking forward to when this phase in Hollywood moves on.
I'm enjoying some of them still, but Marvel's consistency isn't quite what it was pre-Endgame.

They've been more hit or miss with new characters and new mythology, and with alternate dimensions playing in now the scope is getting towards stratospheric levels with not much keeping things grounded.

Ancient mythology, dimensions and magic are all things now and I think eventually MCU may get to a point of being too big for its own good. You have to explain and connect so much now. Timelines, explanations for why certain conflicts are not made aware to other heroes, etc.

Eventually you can get too much of a good thing to where it's no longer that. I think we're approaching that point for the MCU in the next 3 years or so. Also being that RDJ and Chris Evans were really the glue that held the thing together and haven't been adequately replaced.

They really needed to slow down the introduction of characters and concepts and really just work on developing the characters that are there. Its too much, too fast, with less and less substance.

One day Marvel may just wear out the expanded universe appeal.

The problem is money driving new projects more than a cohesive creative plan, at least of late it feels like.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-29-2021 at 11:48 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:29 AM   #4284
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath. They have 18 Spiderman movies in development.

Each one is a reboot.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:10 AM   #4285
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if we legitimately get the three live action universes and the spiderverse developing & putting out films at the same time with the demand and numbers NWH has put up.

The studios love money so much, they will break Spiderman for it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #4286
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Upcoming documentary about veteran Canadian indie-rock band Lowest of the Low.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #4287
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm enjoying some of them still, but Marvel's consistency isn't quite what it was pre-Endgame.

They've been more hit or miss with new characters and new mythology, and with alternate dimensions playing in now the scope is getting towards stratospheric levels with not much keeping things grounded.

Ancient mythology, dimensions and magic are all things now and I think eventually MCU may get to a point of being too big for its own good. You have to explain and connect so much now. Timelines, explanations for why certain conflicts are not made aware to other heroes, etc.

Eventually you can get too much of a good thing to where it's no longer that. I think we're approaching that point for the MCU in the next 3 years or so. Also being that RDJ and Chris Evans were really the glue that held the thing together and haven't been adequately replaced.

They really needed to slow down the introduction of characters and concepts and really just work on developing the characters that are there. Its too much, too fast, with less and less substance.

One day Marvel may just wear out the expanded universe appeal.

The problem is money driving new projects more than a cohesive creative plan, at least of late it feels like.
A lot of the obscure cosmic concepts are both difficult to put on screen and appeal less to the casual movie goer (as opposed to the comic book regulars). In haven't seen the Eternals yet, but I knew that would be trouble. Too many totally new characters, and the cosmic concepts get pretty obscure and abstract. It's a big jump for an audience that was built on RJD quips and Captain America jumping out of planes.

I actually want to see the Eternals, as I've always loved the marvel cosmic comic material. No one else I know gives an F though.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:25 PM   #4288
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I’ve never understood why the Batmobile would be powered by a jet engine. Electric would make so much more sense.
He's the Batman. The image is as important as the effect.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:29 AM   #4289
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with you, I could do with one a year.

I knew they were huge revenue generators, but I didn't realize how big they were:

https://www.slashfilm.com/723877/mar...ice-last-year/

Quote:
According to The Wrap, the Marvel films released in 2021 account for a stunning 30% of the total domestic box office. This impressive feat is thanks to a total of five movies, including record-shattering "Spider-Man: No Way Home," "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings," "Eternals," "Black Widow," and Sony's "Venom: Let There Be Carnage. Together, those movies made more than $1.35 billion in North America — about 30% of the overall $4.45 billion earned in ticket sales last year.

When we consider that around 400 movies were released in theaters last year, that figure is all the more impressive. Marvel has been dominant in the past, yes, but the gap between superheroes and everything else last year grew by a lot. To that end, Marvel's films, including "Avengers: Infinity War" and "Black Panther," accounted for 18% of the domestic box office in 2018.
It just keeps growing.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:02 PM   #4290
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The only movies I ever go to the theater for anymore are Marvel movies, guess I'm "part of the problem". It's mostly to avoid spoilers though, I don't really care about the theater experience when I have a good setup at home. Most other movies I'm interested in I'm fine with waiting because I won't have to worry about running into spoilers all over the internet
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #4291
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The only movies I ever go to the theater for anymore are Marvel movies, guess I'm "part of the problem". It's mostly to avoid spoilers though, I don't really care about the theater experience when I have a good setup at home. Most other movies I'm interested in I'm fine with waiting because I won't have to worry about running into spoilers all over the internet
I guess I just know that there is going to be a twist or something major happening in most Marvel movies so I've just made peace with spoilers. Its actually worked out pretty well for me for the most part.

I've avoided spoilers pretty successfully and the ones I havent avoided...I dont really care about.

But you're right about 'part of the problem' except that its not really a problem. People like to complain about Marvel movies and yet its almost as though through some strange twist of free markets they keep making them and they keep making tons of cash because they are exactly as advertised.

Sure, they're formulaic but its like bitching about cake. You get exactly what you expected and wanted and you enjoyed it and so they keep selling it to you.

Whats the problem?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #4292
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a movie trailer but a superbowl halftime trailer.

didn't think it needed it's own thread.

GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2022, 08:12 PM   #4293
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:11 AM   #4294
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-09-2022, 01:04 AM   #4295
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
For an extra special treat, this trailer can be viewed in 21:9 mode!
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:49 AM   #4296
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
ok. this looks really awesome.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 03:38 AM   #4297
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Another A24 ####ed up art-house horror. Enough said.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 08:31 AM   #4298
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #4299
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:54 AM   #4300
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Seeing the original cast back definitely kicked me right in the nostalgia. They are trying to accomplish so much with this movie though. It's going to be incredible and/or totally non sensical. I still don't get why they are allowing the predators to free roam in cities. Everyone forgot about guns?