Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #141
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Colorado doesn't have their second or third round picks in 2020. I don't think they can tender an offer sheet.
10.6 puts them at the 4x1st scenario I believe.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #142
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
10.6 puts them at the 4x1st scenario I believe.
Whoops. I saw $10.5 m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #143
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Colorado doesn't have their second or third round picks in 2020. I don't think they can tender an offer sheet.
I actually think they may try to trade with Florida to get their own third rounder back.

Then they could do the 1st + 3rd offer sheet range of $4.2 to $6.5M.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #144
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't see M. Tkachuk signing an offer sheet from the Avs. He wants to be here.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #145
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Can't see M. Tkachuk signing an offer sheet from the Avs. He wants to be here.
Yeah, from everything reported so far the only reason I see Tkachuk signing an offer sheet is to leverage a better return from Calgary. One would think the only offer he would accept is one that he is certain the Flames would match, very similar to what likely happened with Aho. If that's the case, its probably a deal we would all be pretty happy with.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #146
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Something that came out recently that I wasn't aware of, and I don't think many others are:

@reporterchris
"Important note on offer sheets: NHL teams that have already traded their 2020 1st-round pick are still eligible to tender a max offer using the 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 picks.

So -- cap space issues aside -- every team technically has the ability to do one on July 1."

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/st...641397761?s=09

Its always previously been discussed as if the need next year's picks or you can't do it. I guess you can defer the picks.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #147
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Something that came out recently that I wasn't aware of, and I don't think many others are:

@reporterchris
"Important note on offer sheets: NHL teams that have already traded their 2020 1st-round pick are still eligible to tender a max offer using the 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 picks.

So -- cap space issues aside -- every team technically has the ability to do one on July 1."

Its always previously been discussed as if the need next year's picks or you can't do it. I guess you can defer the picks.
I think that's just for the 4 1sts scenario.

You need to give out 4 1sts in a 5 year period - so doesn't have to be the following season.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 07-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #148
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

@reporterchris

I simply don't understand how anyone can justify not picking in the 1st round for an entire Olympic cycle in the cap era. A player may be worth three 1st round picks in one year - 6, 22 and 28 for 1 is expensive, but you can recover from it, especially if the result is Nathan MacKinnon.

No 1sts for four years means you not only cannot add cheap young talent to your organization, you can't make a major addition at the deadline for four years, you can't be in on any other stars that may come available, and have to augment your roster almost exclusively through UFA signings.

This isn't basketball. No one player is able to change fortunes that dramatically. Keep the assets and find another way.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #149
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, from everything reported so far the only reason I see Tkachuk signing an offer sheet is to leverage a better return from Calgary. One would think the only offer he would accept is one that he is certain the Flames would match, very similar to what likely happened with Aho. If that's the case, its probably a deal we would all be pretty happy with.
Calgary would match many offers they wouldn't be very excited to give Tkschuk.

I doubt they'd be excited to give him the same deal Aho got, since it would bring him to UFA that much sooner than the Flames want.

But it's heard to imagine Tkachuk getting less than Aho now.

While the dollar amount wasn't staggering, the term suited the player and not the team.

RFA's are now getting the dollars and the desired term, taking them directly to UFA.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #150
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If I'm the avs I'm gonna go after Point for 10.5. Would be tough for Tampa to match that and I think he's more worth it than Tkachuk tbh
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #151
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

I doubt they'd be excited to give him the same deal Aho got, since it would bring him to UFA that much sooner than the Flames want.

While the dollar amount wasn't staggering, the term suited the player and not the team.

RFA's are now getting the dollars and the desired term, taking them directly to UFA.
Tkachuk plays a less valuable position, on a lower line and doesn't have better numbers than Aho. It would be strange to see him making more.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #152
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Are you talking about total value and AAV on the contract? Because if so, then I think it is completely plausible—if not very likely—that Tkachuk gets less than Aho. He has not been as productive, plays a lower-valued position, and was not the highest scoring player on his team. These are all significant factors that all parties involved will need to navigate in coming to terms on Tkachuk's next contract.

I am confident that he re-signs for less than $8.5 AAV.

Quote:
Old 07-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #153
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Tkachuk plays a less valuable position, on a lower line and doesn't have better numbers than Aho. It would be strange to see him making more.
I was meaning on an offer sheet.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #154
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was meaning on an offer sheet.
Even on an offer sheet the offering team has to pay the salary, and I can't see any GM wanting to pay Tkachuk $8.5 for only a 5 year term.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #155
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I would have Marner/Aho/Pointe as the top 3 RFA's and Rantanen is also in that tier as well. All being clearly ahead of Tkachuck who I think is closer to a guy like Meier than a guy like Aho. I would actually be willing to buy that Aho might be the most valuable based on him being a full time top line center who does not have the same level of offensive support the other players do and the role he plays.

As much as teams may gripe about that 5 year term, I think GM's love having 8.5 for 5 years on this player to use as a bench mark rather than Matthews 11 million dollar number over the same term.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #156
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I would have Marner/Aho/Pointe as the top 3 RFA's and Rantanen is also in that tier as well. All being clearly ahead of Tkachuck who I think is closer to a guy like Meier than a guy like Aho. I would actually be willing to buy that Aho might be the most valuable based on him being a full time top line center who does not have the same level of offensive support the other players do and the role he plays.

As much as teams may gripe about that 5 year term, I think GM's love having 8.5 for 5 years on this player to use as a bench mark rather than Matthews 11 million dollar number over the same term.
They will both be used as comparables, though the Leafs cant even use Aho in regards to Marner....because of obvious reasons.

And Tkachuk and Aho's PPG really arent that much different IIRC...3 pts a year or something along those lines.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #157
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think that's just for the 4 1sts scenario.

You need to give out 4 1sts in a 5 year period - so doesn't have to be the following season.
The actual rule is if it's multiple picks in the same round you get N+1 years to do it.

So for the highest compensation with four first round picks you only need four in the next five years.

For the second highest compensation with two first round picks, a second and a third, you must have the next available second and third round picks but can compensate with two out of the next three first round picks

I.E.

2020 1st, 2022 1st
2020 2nd
2020 3rd

would be acceptable if you had already traded the 2021 1st.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #158
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
They will both be used as comparables, though the Leafs cant even use Aho in regards to Marner....because of obvious reasons.

And Tkachuk and Aho's PPG really arent that much different IIRC...3 pts a year or something along those lines.
Aho is 0.814 points per game and Tkachuck is 0.76, so 4 points over 80 games. Certainly other metrics like primary points per 60 would come into play but I see no reason to go over 7.25 a year for 4 years. If Marner gets 12.5 over 5...good for him. If someone wants to pay Tkachuck in that stratosphere, I would elect to let him walk.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #159
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're dreaming. I strongly doubt that Tkachuk is going to shoot himself in the foot by signing a 4 year deal. I do think Aho ends up with a higher AAV on a 5 year term because he's a #1C, but you also have to realize that Tkachuk brings more than scoring and that the other aspects of his game are also going to be compensated for. I think probably 5 years in the high 7's is a likely outcome, any more years and you're in the low 8s.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #160
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is a 4 year deal shooting himself in the foot?

He'll be a UFA as soon as possible and not in the same year as Matthews or Aho. Would almost certainly be the top wanted UFA and if you look at what Panarin was offered, that doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote