Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2019, 10:48 PM   #3961
Yoho
#1 Goaltender
 
Yoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chestermere
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not on CP. They'll go to their graves not allowing certain posters back....while easily letting some others back. I think it's all about who the poster is and what the mod thinks of them personally, than what they actually did to get banned, imo.

I guess that's natural human behavior, in fairness. Just like if you piss off a cop and another guy doesn't and then you both drive by that cop holding a radar.....
Please give it a break. We get it you miss your hype man.

Last edited by Yoho; 07-14-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #3962
cam_wmh
#1 Goaltender
 
cam_wmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not on CP. They'll go to their graves not allowing certain posters back....while easily letting some others back. I think it's all about who the poster is and what the mod thinks of them personally, than what they actually did to get banned, imo.

I guess that's natural human behavior, in fairness. Just like if you piss off a cop and another guy doesn't and then you both drive by that cop holding a radar.....
This. There are those that posters, that exhaustively annoy the collective forum, yet they continue to be reincarnated, knowingly to admin, after being banned.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:18 AM   #3963
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Aces
Exp:
Default

Edmonton is no good.
__________________
"Okay guys... show us what you've got."
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #3964
Moderator
Moderation in all things...
 
Moderator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Exp:
Default

With regards to banned posters please halt discussion of those posters in these threads and speculating as to why certain posters have been permanently suspended. No one, but the mods, has visibility into what these posters did, why they were suspended, how many chances they received and the nature of the interactions between the poster and the mods.
Nor would it be fair to them to discuss those things.
Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moderator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #3965
JackIsBack
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
With regards to banned posters please halt discussion of those posters in these threads and speculating as to why certain posters have been permanently suspended. No one, but the mods, has visibility into what these posters did, why they were suspended, how many chances they received and the nature of the interactions between the poster and the mods.
Nor would it be fair to them to discuss those things.

Running a forum... especially one with as many posters and posts as Calgary Puck and with the added difficulty of having political and/or controversially topics - is hard, very HARD. The best moderators can do is apply the rules equally... and even when they do that, it's impossible to please everyone, hell, it's hard to please the majority, there will always be people complaining. I raise my glass to all moderators.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #3966
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Yost takes a run at the Oilers blueline

Defensive Issues Could Cost Oilers Playoff

Quote:
Once you get past Klefbom and Benning – well, that’s where it goes sideways quickly. You don’t need a superstar-driven first pairing to be successful in today’s NHL, but if you don’t have that, you need to ensure you have quality depth across all three pairs. That simply hasn’t happened.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #3967
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: randomrectangleland
Exp:
Default

Once you get past Klefbom and Benning? More like once you get past Klefbom.

I watched 60-70 Oiler games each of the last few years and Benning is the worst defenseman on the ice most nights.

He's only on the team because he was born in Edmonton.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #3968
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yost takes a run at the Oilers blueline
He probably beat them wide and scored on Koskinen's glove hand
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isn’t 100% committed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #3969
bubbsy
Franchise Player
 
bubbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Classic oilers. Draft a bunch of kids, and expect them to be able to jump right into their NHL ceiling role day 1.

Almost all young d need to play a sheltered game on the 3rd line with vets guiding them through the transition.

I guess they expect guys like "I play D by laying on the ice" Russel, or "1 for 1" Larsson, or Nurse (?!, probably needs a vet himself at this stage of his career) to help Klefbom in bringing up the young D prospects.

Again, oilers gonna oiler.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #3970
tvp2003
Franchise Player
 
tvp2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

^^ They need someone with at least 700 games of NHL experience to help mentor the younger guys.

Oh right, they're paying Sekera $1.5M for the next four years to NOT play for the Oilers.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #3971
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I can just picture the Staples reaction to ....

Quote:
Combine that with your other regular options – players like Russell and Nurse, neither of whom have shown to be much more than run-of-the-mill NHL defenders – and you have a serious talent problem.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #3972
Yrebmi
First Line Centre
 
Yrebmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rocky Mt House
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Once you get past Klefbom and Benning? More like once you get past Klefbom.

I watched 60-70 Oiler games each of the last few years and Benning is the worst defenseman on the ice most nights.

He's only on the team because he was born in Edmonton.
Interesting. That article would indicate that Benning was their best D, and by quite a large margin last year.

Likely I have a very poor grasp of what GAR is. To my limited understanding, its Goals expected Above Replacement level - where replacement level is defined as a player in the top 75 percentile of the tier below where a player is.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #3973
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I can just picture the Staples reaction to ....
Well hes going to flip his lid because Staples and the rest of the Oilers 'Brain-Trust' thought he was going to be the next Lidstrom instead of the Poor Man's Low-Rent, Off-Brand significantly less talented and effective PK Subban.

If only top-end defencemen were available by trade like...say, perhaps....PK Subban? Seth Jones? Henrik Karlsson? Shea Weber? Jeff Petry?

You know....some guys at that level.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #3974
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: randomrectangleland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Interesting. That article would indicate that Benning was their best D, and by quite a large margin last year.

Likely I have a very poor grasp of what GAR is. To my limited understanding, its Goals expected Above Replacement level - where replacement level is defined as a player in the top 75 percentile of the tier below where a player is.
So you're saying his 5 goals was him having a career year and that in Edmonton defense is a term that only means points from the backend?

What term do they use up there for a player who's role is to keep the puck out of their own net and how do they rate them?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:03 PM   #3975
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I can just picture the Staples reaction to ....

Honestly I've never been a huge fan of Nurse, he does some things well, but his in zone play reminds me of Phaneuf.
__________________
There are brave men outside of our gates, lets go kill them
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #3976
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yost takes a run at the Oilers blueline

Defensive Issues Could Cost Oilers Playoff
Looking at those GAR stats I was surprised the Oilers weren't last actually with the Rangers, Wings, and Ducks being worse. At least the new GM knows a thing or two about bad defense.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #3977
Yrebmi
First Line Centre
 
Yrebmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rocky Mt House
Exp:
Default

I am saying that according to that article Benning has a +10 Gar

I am also saying that I am unsure of wtf Gar is, but if I have it right, having Benning as their 3RD results in +10 goal differential, than if he was out and an average replacement put in his spot.

Larrson in the same article is listed as a -7 playing 1RD, meaning he is doing poorer than one might expect from an average replacement to his position, (defined as 75% best 2RD).

IMO your eye test is probably more accurate as I have little faith in this term GAR. Hence why I found your comment interesting.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #3978
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yost takes a run at the Oilers blueline

Defensive Issues Could Cost Oilers Playoff

Quote:
But developing each of those players will take time, and even for a player like Bouchard, who appears ready for full-time NHL action, insulation does matter.


Has anyone in Edmonton actually seen Bouchard play for more than a game or two? He definitely has the potential to do very well in the NHL, but I did not see an NHL-ready defenceman when I watched the Knights this year. He was the lone standout in a disappointing playoff collapse, so there is a lot of potential for him to do very well. But I would not say that an insulated role in the NHL is what he appears ready for quite yet.

Give the kid a year in the AHL. He's not going to be the difference maker in this woeful team making the playoffs, so any logical hockey mind would insulate him on that ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE Bakersfield team. Let him parlay captaining the Knights into developing confidence at the pro level. Let this incredibly smart awesome defenceman actually have a chance in the NHL for once instead of seeing if this quiet and reserved kid can handle being thrust into the turmoil and fury that surely will be this year's Edmonton season. I'm really going to hate seeing an honestly great guy be introduced into the NHL with so much to contend with unnecessarily.

You're re-building again. Stop ruining every brick.

Last edited by Split98; 07-15-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #3979
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
I am saying that according to that article Benning has a +10 Gar

I am also saying that I am unsure of wtf Gar is, but if I have it right, having Benning as their 3RD results in +10 goal differential, than if he was out and an average replacement put in his spot.

Larrson in the same article is listed as a -7 playing 1RD, meaning he is doing poorer than one might expect from an average replacement to his position, (defined as 75% best 2RD).

IMO your eye test is probably more accurate as I have little faith in this term GAR. Hence why I found your comment interesting.
GAR or Goals Above Replacement is the impact on goal differential for any player compared to the replacement level performance (bottom of roster).

The Flames last year (blueliners)

Giordano +17.8
Brodie +11.1
Andersson +10.2
Hamonic +7.5
Fantenberg +2.8
Prout +.9
Hanifin -.3
Kylington -1.5
Stone -1.7
Valimaki -2.6
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #3980
Chonger
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
^^ They need someone with at least 700 games of NHL experience to help mentor the younger guys.

Oh right, they're paying Sekera $1.5M for the next four years to NOT play for the Oilers.
They lost a top 4 D to buyout so they could add a top six goal scoring winger in Granlund and starting goalie with 37yr old Smith that will be making closer to 4m then 2m

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Chonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016