Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #2921
1Nite
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
David Staples is freaking out about Ken Holland on the Twitters.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...ade-its-choice

"The Force is strong in that one"
Read some of that story today, some really stretching of reality there, to try to show these doofuses that the future is not bleak.

The No-Good the bad and the ugly!
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Nite For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #2922
JackIsBack
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Keith Gretzky is doing a very good job running the Oilers in the interim, Shannon said, so there will be no rush to hire.

Every article... they're still keeping the Gretzky option open by pumping him up.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #2923
JackIsBack
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just took a look over at CapFriendly... and I don't see the Oilers doing much of anything, so what exactly is Shannon talking about. I know there could be background stuff going on, but we certainly don't see anything.

Just look at their last two transactions with Goaltenders, they are now over paying Koskinen thanks in part to a "committee" decision that included Gretzky. (not a good move regardless if he turns out - they simply overpaid). They got NOTHING for the Talbot trade... they traded him for Stolarz who is now a unrestricted free agent thanks to Gretzky \ Hitchcock not playing him enough - that's a terrible rookie mistake, especially considering if you simply lost one more game, you'd have the #2 overall pick - so there was no need to play your top guy (Koskinen is the top guy - that's funny and sad).

Those late season traders with the Panthers and Blackhawks were just terrible as well, and Keith was there in the room from those discussions too.

So exactly what is this "good job" referencing to... but into today's media environment - you can just put anything out there without verification or checking... the reporters are no longer telling stories, they are the story - the story here is that Shannon thinks that Keith is doing a good job, so he is.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #2924
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Just took a look over at CapFriendly... and I don't see the Oilers doing much of anything, so what exactly is Shannon talking about. I know there could be background stuff going on, but we certainly don't see anything.

Just look at their last two transactions with Goaltenders, they are now over paying Koskinen thanks in part to a "committee" decision that included Gretzky. (not a good move regardless if he turns out - they simply overpaid). They got NOTHING for the Talbot trade... they traded him for Stolarz who is now a unrestricted free agent thanks to Gretzky \ Hitchcock not playing him enough - that's a terrible rookie mistake, especially considering if you simply lost one more game, you'd have the #2 overall pick - so there was no need to play your top guy (Koskinen is the top guy - that's funny and sad).

Those late season traders with the Panthers and Blackhawks were just terrible as well, and Keith was there in the room from those discussions too.

So exactly what is this "good job" referencing to... but into today's media environment - you can just put anything out there without verification or checking... the reporters are no longer telling stories, they are the story - the story here is that Shannon thinks that Keith is doing a good job, so he is.
Anyone that doesn't think Gretzky had a hand in all those bad moves is fooling themselves. I can't imagine Treliving making moves that Conroy and Pascall were vehement opponents of.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #2925
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Every article... they're still keeping the Gretzky option open by pumping him up.
Heres the thing: I dont think they have much choice.

Any GM who knows anything about what they're doing probably doesnt want to touch this job with a 10-foot pole and I doubt any other teams are knocking down Gretzky's door to hire him.

So they need a GM and he needs a job and pretty much nobody else wants anything to do with either of them.

So the media are going to have to sell this turd sandwich to the fans and try to convince them its steak.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #2926
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Oilers are rumoured to be introducing a new sans-white third jersey for 2019-20, and here's a projection as to what it might look like:

Spoiler!

Yikes.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #2927
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Without knowing it, this was my favourite part of The Athletic coming onto the scene.

These 'reporters' aren't really reporting news, they're a part of the entertainment. Ever since I've pictured these guys in the same light I picture a WWE commentator it's made a whole lot more sense. There's no research and it seems very apparent that the news cycle is massaged quite often. It's a part of the advertising, and Edmonton especially has chosen to use reporting to try and fill seats.

There's a few out there that dig for stories, and actually put some analysis behind things... but most of that comes from The Athletic. TSN and SN are just shills for the most part, and I'm constantly shocked at the takeaways and prognosticating these guys come up with... as paid, seasoned hockey minds. It's not too often that I see any of these guys put forward a contrasting analysis that changes your mind... and if it happens, it's usually coming out of the same 3-5 mouths.

They're either incredibly dumb or influenced. Nothing that I would ever associate with 'reporting'
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #2928
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The Oilers are rumoured to be introducing a new sans-white third jersey for 2019-20, and here's a projection as to what it might look like:

Spoiler!

Yikes.
Connor looks like he's in a coma and screaming to wake up.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #2929
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Yikes.
Is anyone in that organization any good at anything?
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #2930
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Yikes.
Are they trying to sell seasons tickets to the NDP or something? Enough with the orange.

That jersey looks like a joke.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #2931
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really suits the "decade of darkness" though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #2932
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Is anyone in that organization any good at anything?
Sucking?
Old 04-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #2933
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sucking?
Lol, they're terrible at that too

"Don't mind the amount of teams we'd need to leapfrog, we're all in for the playoffs!"

*Passes NYR in game 82*

"The 2nd round selection goes to... New York!"
Old 04-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #2934
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Really suits the "decade of darkness" though.
Was my first thought as well. A dark, commemorative jersey.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #2935
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Yikes.
Looks like one of those cheap jerseys you can buy at the Bay that has no resemblance to the actual team jersey other than the logo.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #2936
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that a black light effects jersey?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #2937
Rando
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oh no, the 90s are coming back
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #2938
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could McDavid look anymore miserable? Did no one think to maybe ask him to smile a little and re-shoot the photo? Or is that not allowed?

He looks like he is having the worst day of his life during that moment.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #2939
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is that a black light effects jersey?
I think the last thing anyone wants is to be in Roger's Place with blacklight....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #2940
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Oh no, the 90s are coming back
In Edmonton the 90s never left.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post: