Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #241
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol at this one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dstaples/...45343117197312

Comrie, Pronger, Penner, Schultz, Souray and can probably go back to Heatley and Nylander. Not twitter specific obviously on some of them, but the smear campaign by the media, making sure the fans knew who the bad guys were in the breakup, is taken to the extreme up there more than anywhere else.

And I wonder what Tambelleni, Eakins, McLellan and Chiarelli’s comment would be on “management turning on you”, given the activation of the press by management, including Staples himself, to start planting the seeds in the public to get them to turn on them weeks in advance.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #242
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Lol at this one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dstaples/...45343117197312

Comrie, Pronger, Penner, Schultz, Souray and can probably go back to Heatley and Nylander. Not twitter specific obviously on some of them, but the smear campaign by the media, making sure the fans knew who the bad guys were in the breakup, is taken to the extreme up there more than anywhere else.

And I wonder what Tambelleni, Eakins, McLellan and Chiarelli’s comment would be on “management turning on you”, given the activation of the press by management, including Staples himself, to start planting the seeds in the public to get them to turn on them weeks in advance.
Yeah, he cant call any of his old exes because they've changed their numbers but he still clings to the 'hard-done-by' narrative.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #243
dwd5150
Draft Pick

Did Lowe write this himself? The propaganda campaign continues..
dwd5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dwd5150 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #244
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just know it's close to a done deal now that the media has been instructed to pump Gretzky's tires and the post season GM interviews will simply be window dressing so they can tell fans that they interviewed lots of candidates but by stroke of luck the best candidate just happened to come from the OBC.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #245
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I endorse this articulate, factual, and insightful article
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #246
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Someone needs to tell him that hes got a little something on his nose...dont know what it is, but its brown...
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #247
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You just know it's close to a done deal now that the media has been instructed to pump Gretzky's tires and the post season GM interviews will simply be window dressing so they can tell fans that they interviewed lots of candidates but by stroke of luck the best candidate just happened to come from the OBC.
Nah I really think they (Lowe, Katz) have to handle any Gretzky with kid gloves.

He’s maybe an adequate AGM at this point, no different then Conroy. Up there he is pushing paper and making minor moves, and being friendly to the media and the Oilers execs, which affords him such rope and such praises, however cheap they actually are.

I think the urge is Lowe and Katz is to want to hire him, but especially now know the optics of that are bad (which still may not stop them) but still really want to keep him in the fold and not have him bolt.

Writing peices like this will keep his tires pumped, will keep Wayne happy, and hope that Keith accepts to an elevated title such as Senior Assistant GM or something like that, when they hire the new puppets, and not bolt.

If I was Keith, I would bolt. If he is worth his weight as an up and coming AGM, the smartest thing he does is get out from under that tire fire, takes these accolades and positive PR,and makes a name on his own again, as he was doing in Boston.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #248
Eric Vail
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keith Gretzky has been a major voice in all the hockey moves for the Oilers for the last three years. He has been part of the evaluation of players that directed the trades they made. He has a say on how players have been drafted and developed. The Oilers have been an utter disaster and he has been part of all of that.

There is a reason why when a failing GM gets fired, his staff get fired with him. The GM gets all the credit and blame for what goes on, but in reality, the majority of moves are a team effort.

When teams look for new coaches and GMs to hire, they typically look to assistants for the most successful teams. Today, that would be teams like Tampa, Las Vegas, Washington, etc.. No one is looking at bottom feeders like Ottawa to recruit away the braintrust that has reduced them to a laughingstock.

Edmonton, however, has their own way of doing things. May it never change.

E=ng
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #249
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I like how that Edmonton Journal article basically boils down to "Keith Gretzky might be good because he wasn't in the Oilers' organization yet when they made all those awful moves."

Also, I don't know who wrote that article, but can the Journal really not afford a proofreader? "McTavish," "Darryl Katz," and "Eckman-Larsson" are inexcusable mistakes. Hell, even the headline is a long run-on sentence. That has to be one of the most poorly-written pieces I've ever seen.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #250
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Really starting to look like they're making Gretzky permanent.

This one is almost weird

Matheson
Quote:
To my followers: Keith Gretzky is not part of the Old Boys Club. He has the Gretzky name but he came from Boston Bruins in 2016. He's worked his way up for close to 20 years, first as a scout. So quit with the remarks of the same old, same old from unhappy Oiler fans
Quote:
I too join the chorus of followers of Keith Gretzky. He dealt with other GM's at the trade deadline and the strong word was this: he was calm, knew what he wanted and other GMs liked his work. He definitely should be considered for the vacant GM job.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #251
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

This one is almost weird

Matheson
He truly is the Oiler version of Baghdad Bob.

It's remarkable to me that a guy that grew up and worked in an age when real journalistic integrity really mattered to those in that industry, that he has sold out THIS much to the corporation.

Its hilarious.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #252
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This one is almost weird

Matheson
I think it might be because Nicholson is moving on in a year or two and they don't want to have to fire and rehire yet another guy in the next 6-18 months.

Keith Gretzky is likely the guy presiding over the Connor McDavid trade.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #253
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Edmonton is No Good VIII: Oh Brother, why bother?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #254
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This one is almost weird

Matheson
Can you imagine this kind of reporting in any other market? Absolutely bonkers what is happening up there.

P.S. if all of the other GM’s are praising your interim GM, it probably means they want the Oilers to hire him. Think about that for a minute.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #255
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

All Gretzky has to do next year is to pick up every waiver wire player that he can, and that alone will improve the team.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #256
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Can you imagine this kind of reporting in any other market? Absolutely bonkers what is happening up there.

P.S. if all of the other GM’s are praising your interim GM, it probably means they want the Oilers to hire him. Think about that for a minute.
It's nuts.. I live in Edmonton and the stuff the local sports write and say is astonishing... they're all fanboys.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #257
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
It's nuts.. I live in Edmonton and the stuff the local sports write and say is astonishing... they're all fanboys.
They aren't fanboys. They are straight up shills. The audacity of Matheson to call out fans that are tired of the same old from the OBC. Like he's ever had to spend a dime of his own to get in the Oilers arena.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #258
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
I too join the chorus of followers of Keith Gretzky. He dealt with other GM's at the trade deadline and the strong word was this: he was calm, knew what he wanted and other GMs liked his work. He definitely should be considered for the vacant GM job.
That comment from Matheson just sounds made up. Other GMs liked his work? He didn't make a single deal on deadline day.

I guess compared to Chia not making a move at all was an upgrade.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #259
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the game tonight. Lots of Cgy colors, the occasional Vgk colors...and one 'special' guy in Edm colors. E=NG so much they don't even know when they play here.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #260
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some guy behind me wore a McDavid jersey to Jarome's jersey retirement. Wanted to clock him
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote