Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2019, 12:02 AM   #681
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Just saw Buffalo `66.

Touching, funny, brilliantly acted and directed movie.

Punch Drunk Love is one of my favorite movies and this has a similar feel.

Very very recommend it.

Also Vincent Gallo?

The guy is great but I googled him and seems like he is a bit of an artist. Likes to dabble in everything. It's a shame because he did a n amazing job on this film and I would be interested to see.more from him.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #682
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spider-Man Far From Home is pretty damn enjoyable.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #683
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Stuber was pretty funny. Rather standard buddy cop/48 hours style fare but Batista and Nanjiani work well off of each other. No classic but for a summer comedy there are worse ways to spend your time.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #684
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently watched the film Climax and I must say I enjoyed myself. It's about a french dance troupe in the 90s that is having a party after a rehearsal when someone spikes the sangria with acid and everyone trips out. It's very well done and gives you a claustrophobic feeling and has genuine moments of terror particularly this one scene made me gasp and I watch a ton of horror films. I feel like if they added maybe 10 more minutes of terror it would be an all time classic but it's still a really good film.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #685
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I recently watched the film Climax and I must say I enjoyed myself. It's about a french dance troupe in the 90s that is having a party after a rehearsal when someone spikes the sangria with acid and everyone trips out. It's very well done and gives you a claustrophobic feeling and has genuine moments of terror particularly this one scene made me gasp and I watch a ton of horror films. I feel like if they added maybe 10 more minutes of terror it would be an all time classic but it's still a really good film.
I'm still not sure if I really, really liked it or not but I think watching it in a theater would have made for a better experience. I like artsy and provocative films but I felt the movie is really good for the first 2/3 and runs out of gas by the end. Maybe because I've seen a lot of controversial and shocking movies that this doesn't hit me like it does to some people but still worth a watch if you are into this type of film as it does a very good job of conveying people tripping out.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #686
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm still not sure if I really, really liked it or not but I think watching it in a theater would have made for a better experience. I like artsy and provocative films but I felt the movie is really good for the first 2/3 and runs out of gas by the end. Maybe because I've seen a lot of controversial and shocking movies that this doesn't hit me like it does to some people but still worth a watch if you are into this type of film as it does a very good job of conveying people tripping out.
I agree, if they added like 10 minutes at the end of portraying the horror that was unfolding and how helpless some people were then it would have really benefited the film. The end was the weakest part for me as well.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #687
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, if they added like 10 minutes at the end of portraying the horror that was unfolding and how helpless some people were then it would have really benefited the film. The end was the weakest part for me as well.
Yeah I felt there wasn't enough closure for some of these characters as you spend the first 3/4 of the movie watching all these characters go through their own private hell and then bang it's over without explanation of how some ended up where they did. Still it brought back personal memories of why I hate acid which was worth the watch alone for me.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #688
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Caught up on a bunch of films on some recent flights:

Creed 2: I quite enjoyed this. Obviously, any showdown with Drago's son is going to be cheezy. This was a lot of fun though.

Captain Marvel: Somewhat disappointing. I was expecting this grand space adventure. It was a lot more down to Earth. Also, really disliked how the story behind Fury's eye loss changed from fighting nazis to getting scratched by a cat. Larson came across a little bit uncharismatic at points. I also didn't like the twist of the Skrulls. Not sure how they can reconcile that with Secret Invasion.

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse: this was fun. Loved the use of music. I wasn't blown away with it, but I'd recommend seeing it for sure.

Hellboy: a lot better than expected. I think probably because my expectations were zero. Definitely not a fun adventure style superhero movie. The pacing was more like Constantine.

Edit:

Almost forgot....

Bohemian Rhapsody: This was definitely entertaining. However, it just kind of felt like they moved through things really quickly, with little dramatic build up. They also over-associated Mercury's coming out with some kind of evil party life.

Last edited by blankall; 07-03-2019 at 11:00 PM.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #689
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Blade Runner

One of those movies I've always wanted to see but had never seen. It was completely different than I expected. Thought it would be a futuristic action movie but it really is just a beautiful film. The cinematography is incredible. Only downside is Harrison Ford. I'm not a big fan of his and don't like his acting. Still a great movie though.
Blade Runner* is a really special movie to me, I absolutely love it and it still continues to influence me every time I watch it.

I would claim Ford has easily the worst performance in that movie. (Which also kind of stands out because everyone else is basically just perfect. It's almost a perfect film if you ask me.)

Ford has openly admitted he didn't quite get what the film was going for at the time they were making it, and him and Ridley have also openly talked about not getting along personally while making that film. (Harrisons previous two films were Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark, while Ridley was still relatively new, so it's obvious where the power in that dynamic really lied.) Plus there was the whole thing with the studio wanting a more commercial film, very likely something that they hoped would draw some of that massive Star Wars audience.

I mean, that is obviously why you hire Harrison Ford to star in a scifi-film in 1981. If you're Harrison Ford, and that's what the studio is paying you for, it's not that easy to just ignore that, no matter how much you want to respect the artistic vision of the director and writers. (And yeah, he has many times spoken about how much he HATED doing that voiceover.)

(* My favourite version is Director's Cut)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #690
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously you watch director's cut, that's the only version of the movie that should even exist.

That being said - possibly controversial opinion incoming - Blade Runner 2049 was actually better that the original. So if you just watched the original, I'm assuming you haven't seen the new one, and you should.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #691
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

That being said - possibly controversial opinion incoming - Blade Runner 2049 was actually better that the original. .
I fully agree! I love both films but 2049 is incredible
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #692
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I fully agree! I love both films but 2049 is incredible
I loved it as well. Did it win an Oscar for sound? It's incredible.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #693
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I loved it as well. Did it win an Oscar for sound? It's incredible.
It won for cinematography and visual effects
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #694
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
It won for cinematography and visual effects
It looked great of course, but the sound blew me away, especially in the club.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #695
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blade Runner 2049 is the movie you should put on to show off a new sound system. Absolutely amazing.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 AM   #696
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Obviously you watch director's cut, that's the only version of the movie that should even exist.
The Final Cut definitely is worth seeing and I would imagine people would be somewhat evenly split between that and Director's Cut if there was a popular poll.

The Final Cut has cgi-upgraded effects (mostly lighting stuff) and a bit more explicit violence, both of which IMO affect how the movie feels. Final Cut, at least to me, feels a bit harsher and looks more scifi, I would say in a very tasteful way. It's a good version.

It's very much a matter of taste and if you really like the film I would highly recommend getting your hands on a Final Cut blu-ray and watching it on a good TV because it does look fantastic. Honestly it's probably better.

That said, I prefer the older Director's Cut, as I prefer the violence implied rather than shown. I'm also just propably more used to the visual imperfections, so they kind of feel more right to me.

Last edited by Itse; 07-05-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #697
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vox Lux is incredible, a film that makes you think and puts a mirror up to society and our love of pop culture.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #698
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Far From Home was really good. I'd put it just behind Spider-Man 2 and Spiderverse. The post credit scenes have me wondering where the MCU is going to go post-Endgame. And I thought I wasn't going to be as invested in the MCU after the Thanos saga.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #699
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Did you uh...
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #700
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Far from home. So good. 10/10.

Best movie since Winter Soldier.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote