Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #61
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario
Exp:
Default

We drafted what we trained out of Ferkland x100

Hopefully this time around they want to reign it in opposed to tamp it down.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #62
David Struch
Powerplay Quarterback
 
David Struch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Flames director of amateur scouting Tod Button gives you a run-through of what each of today's NHLDraft picks brings to the organization!

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status...28563186270208
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 02:36 AM   #63
united
First Line Centre
 
united's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Exp:
Default

I don't mind the player at all but question taking him this early. I really like Cole Fonstad of the Raiders and was hoping the Flames would take him at this spot. Fonstad has the much higher ceiling - and higher likelihood of amounting to nothing - but my vision is to always try and hit home runs in the draft and pick up dime a dozen utility players by other means. In fact, I had Milos Roman rated higher than Pospisil so that's some good work by the Flames - intentionally or not - getting both by way of drafting Roman later.

Regardless of the minor griping, I see Pospisil as having 2nd-line winger top-end potential with a more reasonable expectation of 3rd/4th-line winger.
__________________
Steven Gerrard - Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe Cole can do as well, if not better.
Cole: 699 GP, 102 G, 94 A
Messi: 757 GP, 613 G, 287 A
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:53 AM   #64
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

Does he have "big teeth"?

If so we might have Ville Nieminen part 2
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #65
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Sportsnet has confirmed Martin Pospisil’s plans to play at St. Lawrence University next season are in jeopardy due to academic ineligibility.

The 19-year-old Slovak has had trouble with his ACT scores, which could very well open the door for the Flames to sign him to a pro contract this summer.

The Flames’ 2018 fourth round pick has a late birthday, making him eligible to play in AHL Stockton next season, if he and the Flames so desire.

“There are a bunch of schools that want him now, but we may sign him,” Flames GM Brad Treliving admitted Wednesday.
And some other news about Flames draft picks....almost all of it good!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...f-fast-starts/
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #66
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Exp:
Default

Quote:
The Flames’ 2018 fourth round pick has a late birthday, making him eligible to play in AHL Stockton next season, if he and the Flames so desire.
He could sign with the Flames and play in the AHL tomorrow if he wanted.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #67
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
He could sign with the Flames and play in the AHL tomorrow if he wanted.
I don't believe that's true.

Junior players can't sign contracts and leave until their season is over....no?
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #68
Royle9
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I don't believe that's true.

Junior players can't sign contracts and leave until their season is over....no?
Not normally but this was said during the 2nd intermission last night I believe? Either Francis or Sutter mentioned it.
He's not bound to any contract as we speak, his college team terminated it or something ( dont remember the exact terminology )
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #69
bigrangy
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I don't believe that's true.

Junior players can't sign contracts and leave until their season is over....no?
Only players in Canadian Major Junior.

Kylington, for example, played in the AHL in his 18 and 19 yo years.
__________________
go heats
bigrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #70
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!
 
sureLoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Learning Phaneufs skating style
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I don't believe that's true.

Junior players can't sign contracts and leave until their season is over....no?
That is because there is a NHL/CHL transfer agreement.

AFAIK there is no such agreement between the USHL and the NHL.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #71
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I don't believe that's true.

Junior players can't sign contracts and leave until their season is over....no?
The USHL is not subject to the NHL-CHL agreement. Players in the USHL or NCAA can sign with an NHL club at any moment and leave. The caveat being they have to leave immediately because an NHL contract voids NCAA eligibility, (which the USHL is in compliance with because as a feeder league they want their players to be College bound).
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #72
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Ahhhh...thanks.

Weird that the USHL wouldn't ask for the same agreement the CHL has.
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #73
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!
 
sureLoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Learning Phaneufs skating style
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Ahhhh...thanks.

Weird that the USHL wouldn't ask for the same agreement the CHL has.
They can't.

One of the major issues the NCAA has with the CHL is players that have signed NHL contracts can still play in the CHL. They see it as players who have received signing bonuses (which almost all ELC deals contain) as being paid to play in the CHL and thus the OHL/WHL/QMJHL are professional leagues.

The USHL to keep their amateur status can't have players under NHL contract. Otherwise they too would be considered a professional league in the eyes of the NCAA and have their players ineligible for NCAA programs.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #74
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Exp:
Default

Yeah, they can't and don't want that agreement. The USHL isn't trying to hoard the 18/19 year old talent that the CHL does. The majority of drafted players from the USHL leave for their NCAA team immediately after being drafted so that agreement just doesn't make sense for them.

Lazy bit of journalism by Francis regardless.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #75
foofighter15
Participant
 
foofighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Undecided
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
They can't.

One of the major issues the NCAA has with the CHL is players that have signed NHL contracts can still play in the CHL. They see it as players who have received signing bonuses (which almost all ELC deals contain) as being paid to play in the CHL and thus the OHL/WHL/QMJHL are professional leagues.

The USHL to keep their amateur status can't have players under NHL contract. Otherwise they too would be considered a professional league in the eyes of the NCAA and have their players ineligible for NCAA programs.

Damn you're good.
__________________


foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #76
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
And some other news about Flames draft picks....almost all of it good!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...f-fast-starts/
Blah, Francis article. That should come with a warning.

He referred to ASU as a "High-End Program" (IIRC it's in it's first full year as an NCAA D1 hockey program). Which isn't to say that it automatically isn't one but I think you'd need more time at the highest collegiate level to garner praise like that.
__________________
Ken King should be fired.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #77
VilleN
Scoring Winger
 
VilleN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
We drafted what we trained out of Ferkland x100

Hopefully this time around they want to reign it in opposed to tamp it down.
I'm fine if they tamp it down and we end up with a hard hitting, seldom penalized, 20+ goal scoring power forward.
VilleN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #78
Jore
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

prospectshifts.com posted a shift-by-shift game for bobby brink (interesting 2019 draft eligible prospect). lucky for us, brink happens to be pospisil's main winger, so pospisil is in pretty much the whole video also. pospisil is number 24. a chance to see what he's all about before the world juniors, it looks like he's been playing heavy minutes in all situations:

Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #79
getbak
Franchise Player
 
getbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Blah, Francis article. That should come with a warning.

He referred to ASU as a "High-End Program" (IIRC it's in it's first full year as an NCAA D1 hockey program). Which isn't to say that it automatically isn't one but I think you'd need more time at the highest collegiate level to garner praise like that.
This is ASU's fourth full season in Division 1 and they have been ranked in the top-20 of the leading ranking service for the last 3 weeks.

They are currently ranked ahead of such traditional NCAA hockey powerhouses as Boston College, Boston University, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
__________________
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #80
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Not normally but this was said during the 2nd intermission last night I believe? Either Francis or Sutter mentioned it.
He's not bound to any contract as we speak, his college team terminated it or something ( dont remember the exact terminology )
Reading between the lines of what they said, I think he might not be academically qualified for college.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016