Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #1421
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's US, in Canada they don't have wheat.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/ca/en-ca/p...es-medium.html
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #1422
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised by the amount of sodium they claim. Is there per fry or something? Seems a bit low.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #1423
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I find I always go into a mini-coma after five guys. It tastes fantastic, but the portion sizes are huge. The near endless fries are very difficult to resist, and full of calories:

http://www.fiveguys.com/-/media/Publ...014_CAN_E.ashx

I've started going there and just having the burger, which I find leaves me in much better shape but a little empty too.

I've never really had that sick feeling from McDonalds either. With a diet soda, one of their meals has 800-900 calories, which is about the same as just the burger from Five Guys. I do agree that McDonalds prices are getting out of hand for what they offer. I would never consider them for a semi-gourmet burger of any kind though. They need to stick to what they do best.

My guess is that they are trying to keep up with Wendy's and A&W, who are both offering soy and higher end beef alternatives.

https://business.financialpost.com/p...t-and-sales-up
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #1424
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Those definitely didn’t look any more appetizing than a normal McDonalds burger.

I think Boogies does a way better versuon of a Big Mac than McDonald’s does.
Boogies is by far the most overrated burger place in the city. It's just not good. At all.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #1425
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am surprised by the amount of sodium they claim. Is there per fry or something? Seems a bit low.
The salt for fries really isn't controlled. If you watch an employee just use a big salt shaker on them as they come out of the oil and I'm willing to bet the average batch you actually get has more salt than that as you can see a lot of salt come out of that shaker.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #1426
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know why the McD's meal would cause you specific problems, but I found the ingredient listing on the fries to be kind of interesting.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/a...alculator.html

Uh.... "natural" beef flavor? Are they being cheeky here with the wheat and milk derivatives? Whatever makes a cow - that's natural beef flavor ingredients.
McDonald's used to use beef tallow to make their fries but stopped a while ago. I seem to recall there was a lot of complaints when they stopped so I would think the current "natural beef flavor was created to bring if the old fry taste back.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #1427
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The salt for fries really isn't controlled. If you watch an employee just use a big salt shaker on them as they come out of the oil and I'm willing to bet the average batch you actually get has more salt than that as you can see a lot of salt come out of that shaker.
Theoretically there should be the same amount of salt on each batch of McDonalds fries. The salt shakers are designed in a way that they should dispense the same amount of salt each time.

The employee is supposed to remove the fries from the deep fryer and then turn the shaker over. The shaker get turned upside down, and then they automatically clog after X amount of salt comes out.

There's more than one serving of fries in each batch of fries though. So there's no way to control individual servings. My guess is the fry area also gets coated with salt over time, and in busy times is no likely cleaned out often.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #1428
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The baconator at Wendy's was on sale for $5 for most of May, which is nearly half its regular price. I had one on three occasions. I got it fully loaded each time. That is one tasty burger. The sale is over now, thank goodness. Wendy is such a temptress.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #1429
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
The baconator at Wendy's was on sale for $5 for most of May, which is nearly half its regular price. I had one on three occasions. I got it fully loaded each time. That is one tasty burger. The sale is over now, thank goodness. Wendy is such a temptress.
I've only ever had about 3 of those in my life, and when someone says baconator, I can taste it in my mouth.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #1430
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found myself in Regina this past week and stumbled across a Fuddruckers
Damn good!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #1431
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Damn good!
Jealous, I haven't been there in years. Luckily I might be going to Regina in June and that's definitely on my to do list
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #1432
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

Yeah, I was just in the grocery store looking at Cup Noodles and the little thing has 1800mg of sodium. I couldn't believe any fast food fries could possible have 1/3 of that.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #1433
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Damn good!
Saskatoon has one too - always had lunch there when I had to work in Saskatoon

Did the 3/4lber, want to try the 1lb burger sometime, but think I'm past my eating prime now
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #1434
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Damn good!
I hit the one in Great Falls, MT every time we drive south.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #1435
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hit Holy Grill on 10th Ave today. Had the ranch burger. Damn delicious.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #1436
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Saskatoon has one too - always had lunch there when I had to work in Saskatoon

Did the 3/4lber, want to try the 1lb burger sometime, but think I'm past my eating prime now
I have a condo right down the street from Fuddruckers in Saskatoon. I love going there but it is always packed and sometimes it is upwards of a 30 minute wait.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #1437
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I started this thread 8 years ago as a co-worker and our boss began this quest to sample some of the higher end burgers in Calgary. This month, said boss is retiring after 25 years here so the two of us are taking her out next week for one last burger lunch and I'm looking for your absolute best burger experiences in Calgary.

Here's the (lengthy) list of places we've sampled thus far (some of which are no longer with us):

- Alloy, Briggs Kitchen & Bar, Buchannan's, Cattle Baron, Charcut, Chop Steakhouse, Clive Burger, Earl's, The Elbow Room, Fatburger, Garrison Pub, The Keg, Laurier Lounge, Metropolitan Grill, Murietta's, Naina's, Notable, Redwater Grille, Ric's Grill, Rocky's Burger Bus, Smuggler's Inn, Tommy Burger, Wellington's, and Yellow Door Bistro.

See any glaring omissions we should try to rectify? Thanks in advance.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #1438
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
So I started this thread 8 years ago as a co-worker and our boss began this quest to sample some of the higher end burgers in Calgary. This month, said boss is retiring after 25 years here so the two of us are taking her out next week for one last burger lunch and I'm looking for your absolute best burger experiences in Calgary.

Here's the (lengthy) list of places we've sampled thus far (some of which are no longer with us):

- Alloy, Briggs Kitchen & Bar, Buchannan's, Cattle Baron, Charcut, Chop Steakhouse, Clive Burger, Earl's, The Elbow Room, Fatburger, Garrison Pub, The Keg, Laurier Lounge, Metropolitan Grill, Murietta's, Naina's, Notable, Redwater Grille, Ric's Grill, Rocky's Burger Bus, Smuggler's Inn, Tommy Burger, Wellington's, and Yellow Door Bistro.

See any glaring omissions we should try to rectify? Thanks in advance.
Hy's Steakhouse - I think it's only available at lunch but they grind Canada Prime beef in house.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #1439
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
1. Vintage. Highly underrated burger. Better than most of your list, for sure.
2. Dairy Lane Cafe. For me, somewhat overrated, but generally on the list of "best burger spots" so if you want an exhaustive sampling, you have to go there. Plus they often have a somewhat unconventional offering in case you're getting tired of plain cheeseburgers.
3. The Nash. Also very good, and generally highly rated.
4. Native Tongues. Again, a bit overrated for me, but it's a classic burger. However, it may not align with what you're calling a "high end" burger. On the other hand, if it doesn't, Clive shouldn't either.
5. Boogie's. I gather there has been some negativity in this thread regarding Boogie's lately, but if we're talking about the location on Edmonton Trail, I've never had a disappointing burger there myself. Also, sort of falls into the "Dairy Lane" category of "you have to go there if you want to be able to say you've been to all the main spots".

Those are the top 5 that jump to mind for me. Other than old Naina's on Ogden Road, I still haven't come across any that challenge the old Lava Dining burger in Kensington. RIP.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #1440
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
4. Native Tongues. Again, a bit overrated for me, but it's a classic burger. However, it may not align with what you're calling a "high end" burger. On the other hand, if it doesn't, Clive shouldn't either.
I've tried the Native Tongues burger. It is really good but it's basically the Animal Style Double-Double burger at In N Out, but at 4x the price.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote