Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #1021
Cuz
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Cuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Oak
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
So this burger is a thing in Sydney. It is called the Blame Canada and contains a 200g beef pattie, maple glazed streaky bacon, American cheese, poutine & maple aioli.

Spoiler!


I love the Aussie take on Canadian cuisine is to add poutine and make everything maple flavoured
That burger looks just awesome, love the name too!
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #1022
RW99
First Line Centre
 
RW99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 225 313 317 Heritage Classic G
Exp:
Default

So I had the Alley Burger for the first time today. The location was in a weird spot, had to come back to this thread to find out where it was. There is no sign, just a small menu in a window in the middle of the West wall, with some wooden steps. The burger was quite good, loved the flavor and bun. But I'd say there was too much sauce on it. The fries were fairly average though. Overall I'd be back!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #1023
ben voyonsdonc
First Line Centre
 
ben voyonsdonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Just make sure you get a stuffed burger. You probably have to wait a while as they take longer to cook, but they are worth it.

The relative lack of Juicy Lucys in this town is an outrage.
The 4th Spot on 4th St and 26th Ave NW has a good Juicy Lucy.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #1024
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I love the Aussie take on Canadian cuisine is to add poutine and make everything maple flavoured
Well, the Canadian take on Canadian cuisine is the exact same thing, so at least they are accurate!
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #1025
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Checked out the new Naina's this week at lunch. Great place although it was probably a little slower than it should have been. Food is great and their burger specials and poutine specials are really good value. It will be a great spot for a pre Flames game dinner but hopefully they can speed things up a bit on game night because it might take quite a while with 30 people in there before a game.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #1026
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Checked out the new Naina's this week at lunch. Great place although it was probably a little slower than it should have been. Food is great and their burger specials and poutine specials are really good value. It will be a great spot for a pre Flames game dinner but hopefully they can speed things up a bit on game night because it might take quite a while with 30 people in there before a game.
It's almost always slow. That's part of the experience. Put down your phone and strike a conversation with the person across from you.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #1027
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Misterpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's almost always slow. That's part of the experience. Put down your phone and strike a conversation with the person across from you.
That sounds like hell.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #1028
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Eh, I feel like Sartre would have thought twice had there been quality stuffed burgers involved.
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #1029
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power
 
JiriHrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

Checked in Naina's new spot and man she has upped her game. The hours have been extended - open until 11 most nights. Location is nice and bright with a lot of seating. She needs a few more TVs but that's a minor quibble. Menu has been expanded with a bunch of new featured stuffed burger. I tried the Eggs Benny Burger. Have mercy.

My advice: if you are worried about the wait time, go after work, enjoy a couple beverages, watch a game and then dig into that majestic burger.

Great spot. I really hope she does well. There is no better burger in town.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #1030
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Jiri, when are you going to stop being a rampaging communist and restart the Burger Quest site?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isn’t 100% committed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #1031
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power
 
JiriHrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Jiri, when are you going to stop being a rampaging communist and restart the Burger Quest site?
Man we talk about it all the time. But to this point it has just been talk. Kinda like CP Radio.
Too many cool things to do and not enough time.

It was me and my BQ buddy that went to Naina's the other day. We like to think we played a role in her turning around her business with our original review.

But Naina (not her real name) saw us and came out of the back. She proudly brought us over to the front where she had part of our review framed alongside mentions in Avenue Magazine.

Kinda cool.

If we bring it back, we would want to take a different spin on things somehow. So that's what we've been talking about.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #1032
Iceman57
Scoring Winger
 
Iceman57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Jiri, when are you going to stop being a rampaging communist and restart the Burger Quest site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Man we talk about it all the time. But to this point it has just been talk. Kinda like CP Radio.
Too many cool things to do and not enough time.

It was me and my BQ buddy that went to Naina's the other day. We like to think we played a role in her turning around her business with our original review.

But Naina (not her real name) saw us and came out of the back. She proudly brought us over to the front where she had part of our review framed alongside mentions in Avenue Magazine.

Kinda cool.

If we bring it back, we would want to take a different spin on things somehow. So that's what we've been talking about.
That site was awesome and everyone's reviews there were hilarious! It is what brought me to seek out Naina's and then post my own review on the site, yeah i definitely miss it, you all did great job.

The Knights of the Round consisted of Wunder Bun, White Gravy and what was the third name again?

Last edited by Iceman57; 09-14-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #1033
Russic
Dances with Wolves
 
Russic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Section 304
Exp:
Default

Did Naina's yesterday. Definitely poised to be a jam packed pre-game destination. They're advertising that you should come early, have dinner and then leave your car parked there for the game. I don't think they appreciate how popular of an option that's going to be. People will be showing up at 4:30.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #1034
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Checked in Naina's new spot and man she has upped her game. The hours have been extended - open until 11 most nights. Location is nice and bright with a lot of seating. She needs a few more TVs but that's a minor quibble. Menu has been expanded with a bunch of new featured stuffed burger. I tried the Eggs Benny Burger. Have mercy.

My advice: if you are worried about the wait time, go after work, enjoy a couple beverages, watch a game and then dig into that majestic burger.

Great spot. I really hope she does well. There is no better burger in town.
Can you elaborate on the Eggs Benny Burger? I love eggs Benedict but I'm not seeing how it works with a burger.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #1035
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Did Naina's yesterday. Definitely poised to be a jam packed pre-game destination. They're advertising that you should come early, have dinner and then leave your car parked there for the game. I don't think they appreciate how popular of an option that's going to be. People will be showing up at 4:30.
I'm gonna try it with the family on Sept 30 for the Canucks game. We'll try to get down there for 5:30 and hopefully there are still tables and parking spots available.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #1036
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power
 
JiriHrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
That site was awesome and everyone's reviews there were hilarious! It is what brought me to seek out Naina's and then post my own review on the site, yeah i definitely miss it, you all did great job.

The Knights of the Round consisted of Wunder Bun, White Gravy and what was the third name again?
Flavor Sabre.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #1037
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power
 
JiriHrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Can you elaborate on the Eggs Benny Burger? I love eggs Benedict but I'm not seeing how it works with a burger.
Not what you would expect.
I was worried that the burger would be incredibly rich because of the hollandaise. But that's not the case.
It is really just a big gooey, egg-infused beefy mess.
If you like an egg on your burger, this is the ultimate version of that.
She uses a lemon marmalade on the burger, which again sounds weird, but basically the lemon and the hollandaise perfectly off-set each other.
Damn good.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #1038
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power
 
JiriHrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Did Naina's yesterday. Definitely poised to be a jam packed pre-game destination. They're advertising that you should come early, have dinner and then leave your car parked there for the game. I don't think they appreciate how popular of an option that's going to be. People will be showing up at 4:30.
Yup that's her smartest move and she's got a LOT of parking there. Once the rest of the businesses close up for the day that use the lot - she's free to use it.
So she's got ample parking and it is a great pre-game option.
I think she's going to KILL on game nights.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #1039
Russic
Dances with Wolves
 
Russic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Section 304
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Yup that's her smartest move and she's got a LOT of parking there. Once the rest of the businesses close up for the day that use the lot - she's free to use it.
So she's got ample parking and it is a great pre-game option.
I think she's going to KILL on game nights.
I wonder if she'll have to limit the menu like other busy places do for game nights? It's going to be a madhouse. So excited.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #1040
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy
 
ken0042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I think she's going to KILL on game nights.
Went there last night before the game. So yes, they do offer free parking there if you are going to the game; just leave your plate number with your server. We also got there at 4:45 and most of the other tables were reserved. If you are going you might want to make a reservation. I'm not sure if they will keep up the reservations though. Most of the tables were reserved for 6:00, and people came in and then left around 5:20. They may have been able to handle a few more seatings.

Special this week was the perogy burger. Great burger, but make sure you leave the toothpick in as long as possible.

Getting to my car after the game I found the lot was well lit, and there is access to 18th ave to hop right onto MacLeod Trail south. Definitely a great pre-game option.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016