Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #241
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
And a roadtrip to Edmonton for Red Robins.
Yeah we've talked about doing a day-long Burger Blitz roady where we hit up 6-10 burger joints between Red Deer and Edmonton and then back the other way. Probably going to do it in the summer.

I think Edmonton's has Fuddruckers too - so that would be on the list.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #242
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Yeah we've talked about doing a day-long Burger Blitz roady where we hit up 6-10 burger joints between Red Deer and Edmonton and then back the other way. Probably going to do it in the summer.
Bring some Gas-X and air freshener!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #243
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I think Edmonton's has Fuddruckers too - so that would be on the list.
I think they've closed them.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #244
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Personally, I'm still waiting for someone to provide me with a burger experience that's better than Rocky's Burger Bus. Sitting on a crappy old picnic table perched on a small hill in some random industrial part of town with an amazingly juicy burger and great fries..... Good times. Can't wait for them to open for the season.

Just saw your abysmal score for Rocky's, Jiri. That's an outrage. My rage has gone outside. The same score as Burger King? What the what?
Rocky's is open all year round, not sure what you mean by season. even when it's -20 a buddy and i will still hit it and eat in the car. and i totally agree, the meat is 90% of what makes a burger great, buns and toppings are simply there as garnish. that's the primary reason i suggested Jiri make a price section for their reviews, as i doubt anyplace can beat Rocky's for bang-for-your-buck
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #245
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm a big fan of "Chuckwagon Cafe" out in Turner Valley, if you're up for a drive.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #246
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
I'm a big fan of "Chuckwagon Cafe" out in Turner Valley, if you're up for a drive.
Yeah we've heard from a few people about this joint - we will hit it in the summer.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #247
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Might as well hit "Marv's" in Black Diamond on the way for an Elvis burger
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darockwilder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #248
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
It simply isn't a good burger. No attention is paid to toppings or the bun. It simply a huge piece of beef on a bun. That for me is far from a perfect burger. I give them credit for using fresh meat, but that's about it.
I like the site and what you're trying to do, but I too have a problem with your review of Rocky's, and your scoring system in general. I think there's no way the bun and toppings should have equal billing with the meat.

I took your scores and adjusted them so that the bun and toppings are worth 20 each, the meat is 50, and atmosphere stays at 10. I then compared Burger King and Rocky's, which got basically the same scores, assuming that your reviews of the individual components were correct.

Burger King went from 63 54 58 to 54 42 55. Rocky's went from 62 54 58 to 71 65 68.

I still think you were too hard on Rocky's about their toppings, but these new scores come closer to how I would rate these burgers.

I look forward to your future reviews, even if I have to do some math.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #249
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Finally got around to trying a burger from 5 Guys Burgers. Decent burger all round, but its the cajun fries that I found addictive. The must add heroin to the seasoning.

I give the burger an 7/10. Not sure if its worth the $15 for the burger/fries/drink combo though.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #250
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Personally, I'm still waiting for someone to provide me with a burger experience that's better than Rocky's Burger Bus. Sitting on a crappy old picnic table perched on a small hill in some random industrial part of town with an amazingly juicy burger and great fries..... Good times. Can't wait for them to open for the season.

Just saw your abysmal score for Rocky's, Jiri. That's an outrage. My rage has gone outside. The same score as Burger King? What the what?
Yup. In the immortal words of Ron Swanson: "This is hamburger. It is made of meat and served on a bun with nothing else. You can put ketchup on it if you want. I don't care."
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #251
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

First time to 5 guys today. Gotta say it was underwhelming considering the hype. The burger itself was tasty enough but very sloppy due to the bun falling apart. What really soured things was the fact we waited 32 minutes for our order! The place was only half full and I counted 5 staff members - terrible.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #252
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
Cash only the last time I was there. May have
changed since.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #253
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
First time to 5 guys today. Gotta say it was underwhelming considering the hype. The burger itself was tasty enough but very sloppy due to the bun falling apart. What really soured things was the fact we waited 32 minutes for our order! The place was only half full and I counted 5 staff members - terrible.
that was my experience as well, waiting far too long for a simply average burger. and holy hell it's expensive considering it's not that much better than something like Wendy's
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #254
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm getting back from Mexico on Wednesday and would like a really good tasting burger before I head out of town. The Cows in Mexico are so skinny when they turn sideways you cant see them and beef here is terrible. Any decent places to get a burger preferably near the airport?
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #255
JiriHrdina

Exp:

There isn’t a ton near the airport. South Street has a place in Cross Irons so that isn’t too far away. Smash Burger will soon be open on 32nd Avenue NE but they aren’t there yet. Fat Burger has a spot up on 32nd too but I’m not a fan of their burgers. That end of town is a bit of a burger wasteland.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #256
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the info, I think we will be willing to go out of our way a bit then. Checked out your website too, great idea.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #257
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
that was my experience as well, waiting far too long for a simply average burger. and holy hell it's expensive considering it's not that much better than something like Wendy's
I liked 5 Guys at first, but I'm pretty much over them. Rocky's pwns them, anyway, so between the two I'd get Rocky's every time. The trick to making a 5 guys burger edible is getting it plain. You can then squirt a bit of ketchup on if you want, but they are a disgusting soggy mess if you get them loaded with toppings.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #258
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
I'm getting back from Mexico on Wednesday and would like a really good tasting burger before I head out of town. The Cows in Mexico are so skinny when they turn sideways you cant see them and beef here is terrible. Any decent places to get a burger preferably near the airport?
In which direction are you heading out of town? There's probably better choice along your route than around the airport itself.

I believe there's a Five Guys in Airdrie, if you're heading north.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #259
JiriHrdina

Exp:

We just posted our latest review at Burger Quest. This is a true hidden gem and the highest rated burger we’ve had. Check it out: http://www.burgerquest.ca/
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #260
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
We just posted our latest review at Burger Quest. This is a true hidden gem and the highest rated burger we’ve had. Check it out: http://www.burgerquest.ca/
a burger stuffed with several kinds of cheese and/or other types of meat? good lord this is something i must try