Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default 1 killed and 1 wounded on set of Alec Baldwin movie

Jesus Christ, did they load the prop gun with real bullets?

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...fe-1235094931/

Quote:
Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a set in New Mexico on Thursday, accidentally killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.
The incident occurred on the set of “Rust,” an independent feature that was filming at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, a popular production location south of Santa Fe.
Hutchins, 42, was transported by helicopter to University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, where she died. Souza, 48, was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe, where he was receiving emergency care.
The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office said in a statement that Hutchins and Souza “were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Alec Baldwin, 68, producer and actor.”

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A prop gun can kill someone? That doesn't sound right. Tragic and needless.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
A prop gun can kill someone? That doesn't sound right. Tragic and needless.
That’s how Brandon Lee died on The Crow.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:21 PM   #4
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wondering why he was pointing it at, and pulling the trigger on it, even if it had blanks.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:31 PM   #5
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon-Erik Hexum died in the 80s from playing Russian roulette with a prop gun as well. I don't know why I remember that happening.

There was a guy in my office who had quick draw world records and did stunt work in movies. He'd do this trick at office parties where a co-worker would have a balloon at each foot, hand and above their head. He'd shoot them all out from a draw in well under a second with a six shooter. He'd use blanks, but they had enough stuff coming out of them to pop the balloons from a good distance, and the volunteer would wear a thick duster jacket and hat to protect themselves.

It seems like enough stuff comes out of the gun to do a bit of damage if fired closely at someone and the blank is a bit livelier than designed.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 09:39 PM   #6
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cinematographer and director? Seems like there's more to this.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #7
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Cinematographer and director? Seems like there's more to this.
My guess: cinematographer filming the gun pointed straight to camera, director is looking over the cinematographer's shoulder.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 10:37 PM   #8
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously not a prop gun. Whoever's job it was to make sure they weren't real bullets certainly has some explaining to do.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:55 PM   #9
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some prop guns especially revolvers and I think this is a western so they may gave been using one will have a fake bullet in the chamber so it looks like it is loaded. This is what killed Lee and not the actual blank. The blank propelled the fake bullet tip in the chamber. With Jon-Erik Hexum is was the force of the blank so close to his temple that killed him.

So many questions.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 02:36 AM   #10
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Some prop guns especially revolvers and I think this is a western so they may gave been using one will have a fake bullet in the chamber so it looks like it is loaded. This is what killed Lee and not the actual blank. The blank propelled the fake bullet tip in the chamber. With Jon-Erik Hexum is was the force of the blank so close to his temple that killed him.

So many questions.
Went back and checked the Lee case.

Badly made dummy bullet (bullet with a primer but no gunpowder, used as you said because they look real in close-ups) had stuck in the gun during an earlier scene and not removed before the next scene which used blanks (gunpowder and primer but no bullet).

Bullet+gunpowder=actual shot, aimed right at Lee in a scene where his character was killed. (They didn't use that piece of footage in the film.) Clear case of negligence, and obviously some terrible luck.

(Only a part of the bullet hit Lee, but it's unclear from the descriptions I read whether there was only a part of the bullet stuck in the gun, or if the bullet shattered when the shot was fired. Not that it really matters.)

Very possible this new accident was something similar.

Horrible thing to happen, can't even imagine what the people involved are going through now.

Imagine pulling that trigger, those people hit were propably right in front of Baldwin. Imagine being the person responsible for the guns. Incredibly sad.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #11
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baldwin firing directly into the line of sight of the camera makes the most sense here- and why the DP and Director would then possibly be in the line of fire- and possibly even at close range.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #12
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ugh that is terrible. I can only imagine how terrible Baldwin is feeling. Gonna be needing some counselling I would think.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

When I was in the army, we used a lot of blank rounds. Blanks are basically the same as a regular round with the bullet removed and replaced with a wad of packing material to keep the gunpowder in the round from spilling out.

When we were using blanks we added a blank firing attachment to our weapons. This prevented the wad from exiting the barrel, but still allowed the expanding gases from the explosion to exit. With out the bfa, that wad comes out of the barrel at pretty high speed, so if you're close range when you fire that wad can do damage.

That's why we were also encouraged not to aim directly at a person at close range.

I expect because they're going for realism, they don't use any kind of barrel attachment.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 10-22-2021 at 09:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Small, independent film which probably equates to small budget, so a couple of questions to ask:

Non-union prop crew?
No armorer?

So, if you have a prop manager who didn't know firearms and not knowing the difference between live and blank rounds...
Old 10-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #15
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang.. what the hell!? Condolences to all involved
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Small, independent film which probably equates to small budget, so a couple of questions to ask:

Non-union prop crew?
No armorer?

So, if you have a prop manager who didn't know firearms and not knowing the difference between live and blank rounds...

Usually pretty hard to mistake the two. Blanks are intentionally made to look different. And I was watching the news, if your on a movie set and handling firearms as a prop person etc, there is a certification and training program or you can't use actual firing weapons.

I've seen a guy get hit with the wadding from a blank round, he was a good distance away from the pistol shot, and it still hit him with a lot of speed, again its why we were trained to aim away even with a BFA.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #17
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Baldwin firing directly into the line of sight of the camera makes the most sense here- and why the DP and Director would then possibly be in the line of fire- and possibly even at close range.
The only question I have around this would be that the DP is rarely behind the camera especially while filming. They setup the shot, lighting angles etc but once filming starts they are typically back at video village. Some times the director is even at video village. While it would be very close to set especially on location it is usually a ways away from the actual filming tucked away off to the side.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #18
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

When doing a shot like that film into a mirror for extra safety I guess?
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #19
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Condolences to Halyna Hutchins who sounds like she was a real talented cinematographer.

Last edited by Macman; 10-22-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #20
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I would hope there is a proper investigation since this is Alec Baldwin, need I say more. One of his past tweets is being talked about which I won't post here. He was also arrested and charged a while back for picking fights with random people on the streets of NYC.

Condolences to Halyna Hutchins who sounds like she was a real talented cinematographer.
garbage post.

anyway...

https://www.cnn.com/entertainment/li...3ba0260b033c14

Joseph Fisher, a prop master who works on movie sets and has handled weapons in the military and with the NYPD. "Typical prop load will be about 25 to 50% of the gunpowder in an actual projectile load that would be used in a regular weapon."

Even though there is no actual physical projectile mounted on the cartridge, there will be gas, heat and air coming out of the weapon since there is gunpowder load present, "and those can cause physical injury within 25 to 50 feet, depending on the load," Fisher added.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 10-22-2021 at 11:59 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post: