Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2022, 10:35 PM   #1
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Drunk Driving Killers in Canada

3 kids, their grandfather. And now their father.

5 years.

https://torontosun.com/2015/09/29/dr...g-before-crash

Marco Muzzo had just returned from his bachelor party in Miami on a private jet Sunday, hours before he was arrested for a collision that killed three children and their grandfather, a source told the Sun.

“They were very intoxicated (at the stag) there wasn’t a moment you didn’t see a bottle in their hands in those photos (on the video and photo-sharing website),” the man, who wished to remain anonymous, told the Sun Tuesday night.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7659694/m...drunk-driving/

Muzzo, who killed three children and their grandfather in a September 2015 crash in Vaughan, was granted full parole on Feb. 9.

“Your insistence on returning to live in the community where the victims are memorialised and the surviving victims regularly frequent, is concerning,”

https://globalnews.ca/news/8934254/e...es-by-suicide/

A man whose three children were killed by a drunk driver in a crash in Vaughan has died by suicide.

Global News has learned that Edward Lake was found deceased on Monday, the day after Father’s Day.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:44 PM   #2
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unbelievablely tragic, completely preventable. I cant even imagine the pain those parents went through. I cant say that I wouldnt do the same if the pain didnt go away 7 years later.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:49 PM   #3
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's ####ing brutal
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:16 PM   #4
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such irresponsible behaviour that was completely preventable, leading to the destruction of an entirely innocent family.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:30 PM   #5
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our Justice system has shown, with startling frequency lately, a woefully low appetite to punish perpetrators and a dreadfully low regard for everyday citizens.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:36 PM   #6
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Our Justice system has shown, with startling frequency lately, a woefully low appetite to punish perpetrators and a dreadfully low regard for everyday citizens.
IMO it isn't startling at all anymore, that's the expected outcome from the Canadian criminal justice system
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 12:17 AM   #7
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing they need to do is charge any passengers who sit in a car with a drunk driver with the same charges.

Losers are just as complicit if they get into their car.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:41 AM   #8
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw this in the news today.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...d-driver-mourn
Old 06-23-2022, 09:07 AM   #9
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a brutal story. I can't even imagine the grief of those parents, and I am not surprised at the dad's outcome. What could possibly be worse?

I don't remember where I read this, but Muzzo was so drunk he pissed himself after the collision.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the sequence of events that lead to this are mind boggling. had muzzo arrrived at that intersection one of two seconds later, then perhaps there is no accident there.

too bad he could not have made the right decision and called a cab
Old 06-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
the sequence of events that lead to this are mind boggling. had muzzo arrrived at that intersection one of two seconds later, then perhaps there is no accident there.

too bad he could not have made the right decision and called a cab
His family is worth $1.8 billion.

He coulda called a chopper to take him from the airport to his house. He knew he was above the law so he didn't care.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 10:52 AM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
His family is worth $1.8 billion.

He coulda called a chopper to take him from the airport to his house. He knew he was above the law so he didn't care.
If you read about the parole hearings, it makes this seem even worse. For most people a 10 year jail sentence (more like 7 with time served) would be enough to drastically change the course of your life. This guy after getting released, however, was just plugged directly into an executive position in his family's company. He then attempted to be placed back into the community where the family lived, so that he could be closer to the company's head office. The parole board denied him on the grounds that the family lived there, and it was clearly showing little to no remorse to drive by the accident scene every day on the way to his executive job.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've often wondered how people with so little remorse get parole. It baffles me.

At the end of the day, the Justice system isn't really designed to deal with the Victims. Its designed to deal with the Criminals in this case and the prospect of rehabilitation. I mean Muzzo is a scumbag and detestable, but if he doesn't re-offend then its a win for everyone but the shattered family.

I don't think we can go into debates about procedures and sentencing with any part of the debate being about what happened to the victims or their families.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:59 AM   #14
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

No perfect justice system or answer. However my personal (and I’m confident unpopular) opinion is that the Canadian justice system focuses too much on “rehabilitation” (eyeroll), leniency and principles of forgiveness, which are mainly covers to reduce costs as opposed to what should also be a system delivering punishment and relinquishment of freedom when especially breaking laws where people die.

Drunk driving laws, especially, are wildly lax. There are people I have heard of who have been arrested multiple times for drunk driving and still have their license, etc. just absurd.
Mr.Coffee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
No perfect justice system or answer. However my personal (and I’m confident unpopular) opinion is that the Canadian justice system focuses too much on “rehabilitation” (eyeroll), leniency and principles of forgiveness, which are mainly covers to reduce costs as opposed to what should also be a system delivering punishment and relinquishment of freedom when especially breaking laws where people die.

Drunk driving laws, especially, are wildly lax. There are people I have heard of who have been arrested multiple times for drunk driving and still have their license, etc. just absurd.
Rehab should probably be the top priority if our goal is to decrease things like this. There's plenty of examples of how a system that encourages harsh incarceration doesn't do much good. Releasing people more broken than they came in just creates a sinking ship.

Drunk driving is more complicated than just upping the penalty because by and large the people who are causing the deaths are so loser drunk they're operating on auto-pilot, chronic alcoholics, or often both.

The people who are going to have their eyes widened by a tougher jail sentence are probably the people who wouldn't cause such carnage in the first place. They're the have-3-or-4-and-should-really-call-a-cab people. Definitely worth getting off the roads, but they're not usually killing people. For this reason I don't see strengthening punishments as a bad thing at all (I just don't think it solves the overall problem).

If the goal is vengeance (and you're not crazy if that's where you land), then ya, tougher sentences will help that.

If the goal is to have fewer drunk driving deaths though, I think we need to focus more efforts on preventing trauma and strengthening addiction recovery.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #16
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
IMO it isn't startling at all anymore, that's the expected outcome from the Canadian criminal justice system
We don’t have a Justice system, we have a legal system.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #17
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Rehab should probably be the top priority if our goal is to decrease things like this. There's plenty of examples of how a system that encourages harsh incarceration doesn't do much good. Releasing people more broken than they came in just creates a sinking ship.

Drunk driving is more complicated than just upping the penalty because by and large the people who are causing the deaths are so loser drunk they're operating on auto-pilot, chronic alcoholics, or often both.

The people who are going to have their eyes widened by a tougher jail sentence are probably the people who wouldn't cause such carnage in the first place. They're the have-3-or-4-and-should-really-call-a-cab people. Definitely worth getting off the roads, but they're not usually killing people. For this reason I don't see strengthening punishments as a bad thing at all (I just don't think it solves the overall problem).

If the goal is vengeance (and you're not crazy if that's where you land), then ya, tougher sentences will help that.

If the goal is to have fewer drunk driving deaths though, I think we need to focus more efforts on preventing trauma and strengthening addiction recovery.
Rehabilitation is a nice concept, but the criminal should demonstrate it first before the courts just assume it’s going to happen. People in a jam get coached to say the right buzzwords to the courts by their lawyers all the time. Prove it first then maybe some leniency can be shown.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #18
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a travesty.

Canada needs to wakeup, but sadly it just never will.
Much like the US and their gun control laws, the day a psychopath walked into a school, murdered dozens of innocent kids and the gun controls remained the same is the same day you knew it will never changed. Now look how many times it continues to happen, same message falls on the same def ears... all because the NRA and its money can control politics.

Here in Canada the legal/justice system is inept and more concerned with rehabilitation of convicts/criminals. Add in high profile defense lawyers who can coach anyone to say the right things, or any high profile family with money and these cases and the time these people serve is a joke.

Poor family, as a father of two young boys I cant imagine what he went through for years since it happened. Absolutely gut wrenching.

Last edited by Royle9; 06-27-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:42 AM   #19
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Rehabilitation is a nice concept, but the criminal should demonstrate it first before the courts just assume it’s going to happen. People in a jam get coached to say the right buzzwords to the courts by their lawyers all the time. Prove it first then maybe some leniency can be shown.
How do you prove it from a jail cell? Any kind of rehabilitation concept always relies on a degree of trust. I don’t see how that can be avoided.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #20
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
We don’t have a Justice system, we have a legal system.
We have a Minister of Justice/Attorney General. And we have a Department of Justice. It seems like those would be indicators of a Justice system?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote