Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-30-2022, 12:15 PM   #6601
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have to think that they must have intelligence that suggests a real possibility of escalation if the blockade of Kalingrad continues. There is probably something they know that they don't want to share.

Kind of telling though that Lithuania is against lightening up when they are the ones that would be directly in the line of fire if things escalated.

NATO has to be careful how these wedge issue affect their alliance.
Like Germany marching in the infantry and saying this is now Koenigsberg?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:57 PM   #6602
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have to think that they must have intelligence that suggests a real possibility of escalation if the blockade of Kaliningrad continues. There is probably something they know that they don't want to share.

Kind of telling though that Lithuania is against lightening up when they are the ones that would be directly in the line of fire if things escalated.

NATO has to be careful how these wedge issue affect their alliance.
There is no blockade, Russia is not being denied access to Kaliningrad ports.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:48 PM   #6603
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1542581959553171458

Will be interesting to see what happens around Kaliningrad. By the sounds of it, Lithuania isn't down with appeasing Russia (thanks Germany ). Nor should they. Thanks for the weapons Germany...but sack up and STFU.
Quote:
Nick Schifrin:

Last week, Lithuania stopped goods traveling on train between Russia and Belarus and Kaliningrad.

Russia has made threats in response to that. How serious do you believe the Russian possibility of responding militarily is?

Gitanas Nausėda:

I don't believe in such scenario, because, since 2004, we are NATO member. And we have very clear assurances, which were repeated many times also by President Joe Biden, that Article 5 is sacred, rock-solid.

And it's not so easy to make harm on Lithuania, because we are quite well-prepared. We did our homework, because, since the very beginning, since the regaining of our independence, we realized that Russia is long-term threat. And, probably, we have to prepare.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/li...war-in-ukraine

At least one country and president has balls.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 06-30-2022 at 09:56 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #6604
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1542220135305564160
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:02 PM   #6605
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1542951057403305985
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 06:39 PM   #6606
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
There is no blockade, Russia is not being denied access to Kaliningrad ports.
I guess I don't really understand the difference between a blockade and sanctions that prevent materials and goods from entering an area. I just now realized that Russia is calling it a blockade, while most Western media sources are using lighter language. I just assumed they meant the same thing, but I guess there is something in the language used that makes it different.

Anyway, if a blockade is worse by definition, then maybe there should be one. Nothing Russian should be allowed to go through NATO waters, land, or air space.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:09 PM   #6607
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I'm wrong but I've always assumed that a blockade has an actual physical presence involved to ensure that nothing that's not supposed to get through doesn't get through - basically like a police road checkpoint.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:41 AM   #6608
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Noticed this somehow fell off the first page. I hope this doesn’t suggest we have started to forget about this heinous invasion by Russia.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #6609
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Noticed this somehow fell off the first page. I hope this doesn’t suggest we have started to forget about this heinous invasion by Russia.
I think most of us still think on it and try to follow the news, but have just run out of things to say.
I'm no more clear on how this ends than I was 2 months ago.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 08:04 AM   #6610
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I think most of us still think on it and try to follow the news, but have just run out of things to say.
I'm no more clear on how this ends than I was 2 months ago.
Not to mention, our immediate neighbour has been hitting the crazy sauce super hard lately, like someone's going to take it away from them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 08:14 AM   #6611
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately, Russia has settled from it's outrageous tactics at the beginning of the conflict into a more cautious and slow rolling approach focusing on steam rolling specific smaller regions. It seems to be working, albeit at a snails pace. But the reality is that they can and will outlast Ukrainian forces in the current situation as supplies run low and support starts to dwindle from the West. A lack of conviction from EU on sanctions (like we're seeing against Kaliningrad) will harm morale as well.

I am certainly still thinking of this conflict, but the situation is increasingly poor.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 09:34 AM   #6612
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I heard on the news last night that the latest estimates to rebuild Ukraine are on the order of about $1 trillion USD... just seems so wasteful and pointless.

It's hard not to be pessimistic of our species sometimes.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:43 AM   #6613
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've succumbed to looking at reddit for updates. Lots of suspect stuff being posted but a lot of chatter still going on. Part of it is that the information / location / logistics war is so sensitive, I don't think any party is totally willing to publicize details right now.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #6614
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I've succumbed to looking at reddit for updates. Lots of suspect stuff being posted but a lot of chatter still going on. Part of it is that the information / location / logistics war is so sensitive, I don't think any party is totally willing to publicize details right now.
It's jarring when you come across the odd pro-Russian posts on reddit. Like how can you be celebrating the capture of Ukrainians soldiers or the destruction of Ukrainian property? I mean I know, but still.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #6615
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I only learned about Kaliningrad on this thread - googled it and thought wtf that place should have been emptied the day Crimea was taken.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #6616
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
I only learned about Kaliningrad on this thread - googled it and thought wtf that place should have been emptied the day Crimea was taken.
They will use the same plan in the parts of Ukraine they claim as they did back then in Kaliningrad. Remove much of the Ukraine population and fill it up with Russians.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:57 AM   #6617
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
They will use the same plan in the parts of Ukraine they claim as they did back then in Kaliningrad. Remove much of the Ukraine population and fill it up with Russians.
I think 99.9% of Germans don't even want it back because it's filled with Russians now. Most of it's neighbors would probably welcome it being German again I'd bet.

An interesting part of the German constitution is that there's a statement along the lines of the current borders of Germany are the true and historic Germany and that they renounce all claims to anything outside of the present day Germany.

The crazy part is that traditional Prussia (which is basically the predecessor of actual Germany along with Bavaria) is like 50% outside of present day Germany. There was some serious ethnic cleansing and genocide by the Red Army AFTER the war that many people don't talk about.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:40 PM   #6618
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It's jarring when you come across the odd pro-Russian posts on reddit. Like how can you be celebrating the capture of Ukrainians soldiers or the destruction of Ukrainian property? I mean I know, but still.
Then best to not have a look at some of the Russian telegram groups. Just a cesspool of people that will further make you wish for the collapse of Russia. People cheering on missiles hitting malls, supporting raping women & children and still going on about Nazis and fascists...when it is they themselves who are acting like Nazis and fascists.

That country is full of POS people who blindly support this stupid war.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #6619
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think 99.9% of Germans don't even want it back because it's filled with Russians now. Most of it's neighbors would probably welcome it being German again I'd bet.

An interesting part of the German constitution is that there's a statement along the lines of the current borders of Germany are the true and historic Germany and that they renounce all claims to anything outside of the present day Germany.

The crazy part is that traditional Prussia (which is basically the predecessor of actual Germany along with Bavaria) is like 50% outside of present day Germany. There was some serious ethnic cleansing and genocide by the Red Army AFTER the war that many people don't talk about.
The elimination of Prussia was by design. Prussia was seen as the warlike portion of German intention, and thus by permanently sundering Prussia it was seen that Germany may lose some bellicosity.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 12:55 PM   #6620
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Back in the Soviet days, the Russian SSR actually proposed to hand the Kaliningrad Oblast to the Lithuanian SSR, but the leader of the Lithuanian Communist Party rejected the plan for that exact reason. He knew that taking on a large Russian population was not in Lithuania's best interests in the long term, hence why the oblast today is still considered part of "Russia".

There are some small fringe movements there that want separation from Russia to either join Poland or Lithuania, or to have outright independence as a Balto-Russian nation aligned with the West. There isn't enough support to make these movements relevant just yet, but there could be enough basis to start the long game there.

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks