Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 12:47 PM   #4861
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
When I used to commute downtown, Nose Creek pathway under 16th was always an issue. Is it ok, is it a foot and a half deep, is it icy death?
Yeah, we're at about 7" deep on that bad boy right now.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:28 PM   #4862
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Why invest millions in parks and paving without considering drainage? Why is the standard different for a walking path vs a road?
A few reasons come to mind. Pathways are considered more aesthetically pleasing when they're flush with the surrounding terrain. You can of course make the pathway slightly proud to the terrain but that doesn't solve any icing problems if it's too flat. Then you need to do more grading to keep water moving. Now you're blocking the natural water flows of the park space.

Raising a pathway to install the smallest allowable culvert for drainage (the city might allow a minimum 300 mm diameter) won't look as nice and create a separation in park spaces where a pathway isn't at the edge of the space. Ditches along the pathway are going to err on the smaller size (probably the smallest allowable v-ditch) and become more of a tripping hazard than anything.

Finally, all this costs more money, and pathways in open spaces traditionally haven't had a large budget.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:40 PM   #4863
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yeah, we're at about 7" deep on that bad boy right now.
Went thru today, that’s as bad as I’ve ever seen it. Some poor lady was hanging onto the chain link fence trying to pass.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:31 AM   #4864
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Does anybody know if the pathway is open going from Douglasdale to Douglas Glen under Deerfoot? I thought I heard something about a closure for the bridge work, but it shows open on the city's pathway map.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:00 AM   #4865
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Does anybody know if the pathway is open going from Douglasdale to Douglas Glen under Deerfoot? I thought I heard something about a closure for the bridge work, but it shows open on the city's pathway map.
On the east side of the river, I rode through on Saturday no problem.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 06:40 PM   #4866
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I were to cycle a lap around the city, starting from the NW in Evanston, would it be best to go clock-wise or counter clock-wise? I'm thinking counter clock-wise to get most of the hills out of the way early.
phaneuf_train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:01 PM   #4867
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_train View Post
If I were to cycle a lap around the city, starting from the NW in Evanston, would it be best to go clock-wise or counter clock-wise? I'm thinking counter clock-wise to get most of the hills out of the way early.
Might be a game time decision depending on the wind. It's always nice to have the tailwind at the end.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:25 PM   #4868
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Might be a game time decision depending on the wind. It's always nice to have the tailwind at the end.
Agreed. Use the force wisely young pedaler. The force can be strong some days. Pedal hard you must.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:18 PM   #4869
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Agreed. Use the force wisely young pedaler. The force can be strong some days. Pedal hard you must.

I do know that, regardless of wind, counter clockwise is not the direction to do the ride when starting in Tuscany. Nothing quite like hitting that long climb from Nose Creek to the top of Country Hills when you’re 100ish km into your ride.

“Shut up legs” - Jens Voight
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treycal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 02:52 PM   #4870
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
I do know that, regardless of wind, counter clockwise is not the direction to do the ride when starting in Tuscany. Nothing quite like hitting that long climb from Nose Creek to the top of Country Hills when you’re 100ish km into your ride.

“Shut up legs” - Jens Voight
That is true. I've only ever started in the south and always do counter clockwise so the hills are more towards the start as well.

Clockwise is probably for the best and most of the route will be protected or winding enough that you wouldn't be in full headwind for long.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:29 AM   #4871
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Slushy enough to slowly freeze up my rear cassette Thursday morning one cog at a time.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote