Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #461
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frozen Four Media Day for the Friars...

They were joined on the ice for the first time since last season by Drew Brown. Brown would have been a senior this season, but missed the entire year undergoing treatment for cancer, which was diagnosed shortly after the season ended last year. He received the word that he's cancer-free just last week.

That should be a nice inspiration for the team.

Remember: Before the Flames game tomorrow, you can watch Providence take on Omaha at 3:00pm MT on TSN2. The BU-North Dakota game is at 6:30pm MT, also on TSN2 (unless the first game runs long). The winners of the two games meet on Saturday at 5:30pm MT, again on TSN2.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:34 AM   #462
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a... No wait, that was definitely a bang!

Back in September, when this thread started, there were many predictions that Providence would win Hockey East and make it back to the NCAA Tournament. BU was predicted to finish 6th in Hockey East, and it seemed like tracking Eichel's progress might be something Flames fan should do.

Early in the season, it seemed like all of those predictions were going to be wrong. Eichel's impact was huge and Providence struggled out of the gate. Also, those darned Flames kept losing their McEichel points.

Now, here we are. A National Champion has been crowned, and wouldn't you know it? There were three Flames' draft picks on the winning team...

Jon Gillies stood strong when he needed to, and was named the Frozen Four MVP. Gillies and Jankowski were named to the All-Tournament team.

In the biggest games, on the biggest stage, Jankowski stood tall (and not just because he's 6'4"). Two goals and one assist in the two Frozen Four games, including the GWG in the semifinal and huge tying goal on the power play when Providence was struggling in the final. He was also a beast in the face off circle and played a really strong defensive game throughout the Frozen Four.

The three points in the Frozen Four also gives Jankowski 27 points in 37 games this season, which surpasses his total of 25 in 39 games last season. His 8 goals were a drop from 13 last season, but none were bigger than the two he potted in the last two games.

I hope that anyone who has been calling Jankowski a draft bust watched Providence's two Frozen Four games because he showed us why Button and Weisbrod were so high on him.

Gilmour was also strong in the Frozen Four despite getting no points. If I were to guess, I'd bet his injured hand is not back to 100% quite yet. He wasn't the offensive threat from the blue line that he has been in the past.

On the other side, don't feel too bad for Brandon Hickey. BU already won 2 trophies at the TD Garden this season: The Beanpot Tournament and the Hockey East Championship. Going into today's game, they had not lost at the Garden in five games this season.

Hickey had a very strong freshman season for BU, with 17 points in 41 games. In a season when Jack Eichel was the talk of the team, Hickey received a decent amount of press himself. It will be interesting to see if he gets any consideration for the World Juniors next year. I think he should, but Team Canada doesn't tend to give much attention to college players.

BU is expected to lose a number of players to the NHL next season, including Hobey Baker winner, Eichel. Providence will also be losing some key pieces, including Gillies and maybe Jankowski. It might be tough for either team to return to the Frozen Four next year, which is why it's so nice that PC got the job done this year.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #463
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

I hope that anyone who has been calling Jankowski a draft bust watched Providence's two Frozen Four games because he showed us why Button and Weisbrod were so high on him.
Those guys will find their excuses, guarantee it. There is a reason some of his harshest critics choose not to say anything about the game tonight, despite being active on the board.

It's better to dig in and hope you're right then be wrong and want the Flames to have another good prospect!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #464
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Those guys will find their excuses, guarantee it. There is a reason some of his harshest critics choose not to say anything about the game tonight, despite being active on the board.

It's better to dig in and hope you're right then be wrong and want the Flames to have another good prospect!
The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. Jankowski seems to be improving all the time, but I personally see him miles behind Granlund as our future #3 centre. I hope he makes the flames someday but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays another year of college, then gets buried in the minors either. Jooris proved, you don't write off college guys based on their production, but doesn't Granlund seem like what you want in your third line C?
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #465
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's great that he scored timely goals in the most important games, but what impressed me most about Janko yesterday was his two-way play. Thought he had some outstanding defensive shifts and I think it's great that he's learning to play a complete 200 ft game at Providence. He seems to have all the tools to be a great 3rd line shutdown center with good FO skills and who can play up the lineup if needed. Kid is a legit prospect, no doubt about it.

Personally I'd be fine with either decision on him, but without Gillies and their seniors (plus who knows about their juniors, some could turn pro too), this could be a significantly worse team next year. Don't think a move to Stockton would be a bad idea.

Gillies is a no-brainer. Would also love to see Gilmour turn pro, but it might be a numbers game. With Kanzig turning pro, I don't know if there's room for Gilmour next season ... might depwnd on who they're re-signing (Cundari, Ramage, Acolatse etc).

Kudos to Nate Leaman, he seems to be a fantastic coach. I remember interviews of him 3 years ago when we drafted Janko and Gillies ... back then, he had just started at Providence after being at Union and it looked like it's going to take some time to build a successful programme there. Winning a national championship after 3 years is impressive.

First time I saw Hickey and I was impressed. Style-wise he reminded me of Brodie ... could be yet another 4th rd steal.

Last edited by devo22; 04-12-2015 at 07:54 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #466
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
but doesn't Granlund seem like what you want in your third line C?
Honestly, no no really. He doesn't have the size or strength for the role, falling behind Backlund in both those categories. I've said for a while Granlund would look better on the wing, even in a 2nd line role. Don't think I've seen the defensive acumen from Granlund where I'd feel comfortable having him in that role either.

But who knows!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #467
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Mike Snee of College Hockey Inc. says Brandon Hickey put on 12 lbs of muscle thanks to BU's weight training program.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #468
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

So he's close to 190 lbs already. Awesome. Put on another 10 or so and he'll be close to NHL playing weight for his height.

I only foresee one more season fro Hickey in NCAA. Really excited about him. Such a Brodie clone.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #469
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

don't forget Hickey finished in the top 10 in a lot of the NHL Draft Combine tests:
http://www.topendsports.com/sport/ic...sults-2014.htm

Kid is a natural athlete
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #470
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
don't forget Hickey finished in the top 10 in a lot of the NHL Draft Combine tests:
http://www.topendsports.com/sport/ic...sults-2014.htm

Kid is a natural athlete
Hunter Smith was in there a bit too iirc
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 AM   #471
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see Hickey as a Brodie clone. I have had a hard time trying to figure out what player Hickey was most like, but I think I finally figured it out. Hickey is a lot like Giordano was 2-3 years ago. Giordano was much more physical (not that he isn't now - just not like he was a couple of years ago) than he is now, and always had a great 2-way game without any significant glaring weaknesses.

I have a hard time trying to match up Hickey with anyone else in the organization currently that plays like him. The closest I can get is Rafikov, but Hickey seems like another tier higher in terms of his offensive acumen - and I think it directly stems from his skating. He just checks off everything in a list that comes to defencemen:

Physical? Check
Can make solid plays/passes with the puck? Check
Can shoot the puck well? Check (cannon)
Can skate well without and with the puck? Check
Defensively sound? Check
High IQ in all areas of the ice? Check

Seriously, this kid doesn't seem to have any flaws. I mean, he isn't NHL-ready or anything, and still needs to develop, but I am talking about flaws like: "If only he was a bit more physical", or "the kid needs to learn how to play in his zone" or "great that he knows defence, but he can't pass to save his life" and especially "Kid has all the tools, but no toolbox".

It seems like he has every tool ever designed for defencemen, and has an absolutely wonderful toolbox to make use of all those tools. It is going to be such a treat watching this kid develop, and I bet next season he starts getting a whole lot of accolades.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #472
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hickey definitely isn't a Brodie clone, but they do share a lot of the same assets that make them dangerous. Hickey just has the physicality and heavy shot to go along with it.

That's not to say Hickey is going to ever reach Brodie's level, but he may potentially have an even higher ceiling than Brodie. It's up to Hickey to continue developing at the pace he has been. One more year of college and a year of AHL will hopefully be sufficient. Hickey could be a legit top 4 defender by the 17/18 season if all goes well.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #473
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think it is safe to say that the Jankowski is going back for his senior year.

I guess for the next year there will be much worry and hand wringing if he will sign or go to UFA and debates as to whether a 2017 2nd round pick is more valuable than him.

Fun to look forward to!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #474
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to say with Jankowski. Still thing he could turn pro next year.

Maybe he comes into prospect camp, impresses and they get him into the AHL.

I think the main thing is unlike Gillies, there isn't really an immediate need to sign him right now.

With lots of forward depth, he wouldn't really be necessary to add to the roster right now.

With Gillies though he is an insurance plan.

Ramo and Ortio are still not 100% and could easily have a set back. Gillies gives us insurance that if Hiller gets hurt, that we don't have to go with an injured goalie or Brad Theissen.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #475
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. Jankowski seems to be improving all the time, but I personally see him miles behind Granlund as our future #3 centre. I hope he makes the flames someday but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays another year of college, then gets buried in the minors either. Jooris proved, you don't write off college guys based on their production, but doesn't Granlund seem like what you want in your third line C?
No, I don't agree with that. IMO, Granlund is more of a 2nd line C - and therein lies the problem for him.

Jankowski is big, good defensively, good on the dot, and can chip in with some offense. He is potentially the PERFECT 3rd line C.

The thought of Monahan, Bennett, and the guy that Jankowski could become, is... <insert happy gif>
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #476
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Hard to say with Jankowski. Still thing he could turn pro next year.

Maybe he comes into prospect camp, impresses and they get him into the AHL.

I think the main thing is unlike Gillies, there isn't really an immediate need to sign him right now.

With lots of forward depth, he wouldn't really be necessary to add to the roster right now.

With Gillies though he is an insurance plan.

Ramo and Ortio are still not 100% and could easily have a set back. Gillies gives us insurance that if Hiller gets hurt, that we don't have to go with an injured goalie or Brad Theissen.
I think Nate Leaman would probably want a commitment now rather than waiting to June on whether Jankowski is coming back. He needs to plan out his roster and if Jankowski is his #1 C.

If the Flames don't have the space for him now they could have signed him with the contract starting next season.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #477
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does it really impact Leaman? Can't really shift your plan short term in college. The guy that would replace Janko would already have to be on the roster one way or another.

Wouldn't really change his recruiting plan either IMO, as that guy is likely 2 years away from making an impact.

Think the ball has to completely be in Janko and the Flames court here.

If Janko has a great development camp and the Flames decide not to risk the final year and offer him a contract I don't think he is turning it down. Regardless of any commitment to Providence or not.

Personally I think the Flames probably want to get him into YYC and see his physical development up close before they make any decision on a contract for next year.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-15-2015 at 04:15 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #478
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Does it really impact Leaman? Can't really shift your plan short term in college. The guy that would replace Janko would already have to be on the roster one way or another.

Wouldn't really change his recruiting plan either IMO, as that guy is likely 2 years away from making an impact.

Think the ball has to completely be in Janko and the Flames court here.

If Janko has a great development camp and the Flames decide not to risk the final year and offer him a contract I don't think he is turning it down. Regardless of any commitment to Providence or not.

Personally I think the Flames probably want to get him into YYC and see his physical development up close before they make any decision on a contract for next year.
I am not sure how you can say it doesn't impact Leaman. He has a roster spot to fill if Jankowski leaves... that means he has to go recruit somebody or he has to accelerate one of his commitments to start a year earlier (if he can).

Gillies announced he was going back for his Junior year on April 4, 2014. Why? For Leaman's benefit. Gillies being at Providence is due to a senior goaltender at Northeastern deciding not to go pro and Gillies getting out of his Northeastern commitment.

And I am not sure what the Flames can glean from a camp in 3 months time that watching Jankowski play in the last few weeks can't tell. Especially since Treliving has said he doesn't want development camps to have a focus on evaluation and wants to reduce on-ice time.

If they are that much on the fence about him, then he should go back.

Last edited by sureLoss; 04-15-2015 at 05:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #479
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Here is Treliving on Development Camp:

Quote:
Treliving and his cohorts took notes all week, keeping track of elements they liked and activities that may be scrapped in 2015.

"I think it's safe to say there will be changes," Treliving said. "I want to continue to place the emphasis that it's education, it's development, it's giving these guys the tools. Yes, you want to get a little glimpse and take a little see on how they move, do those things.

But in a lot of ways, the emphasis on doing too much heavy lifting on-ice and evaluating in the middle of July, it can be dangerous. I don't think it's radical changes but we'll tweak it going into it next year."
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #480
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Sureloss here. If the Flames wanted Jankowski to turn pro next season, they probably would have signed him at the same time Gillies got signed. It still may happen, but you have to figure that the chances are much slimmer.

Personally, I don't think there is a wrong decision to be made. I think there is a lot of development that Jankowski can do in his final year of college, and I also think that he is probably ready for the AHL and could develop nicely there too. This at least saves another year off his ELC, so that helps in the long run.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: