Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #1181
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
He's saying that that's why they chose that cut-off rather than lowering it to include other teams. They just cut off the number of teams at a point where the big markets happened to be, standings wise. If they'd been doing it in a manner that wasn't deliberately aimed at getting the Blackhawks et al. into the postseason, they would actually probably have cut it off at 16 or 20.

Or they want more teams in as a way of increasing revenue in a situation where the league has lost a ton of revenue.

This is not rocket surgery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #1182
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does revenue change significantly depending on which of the 24 teams are in? There’s no gate revenue.

It will benefit Sportsnet and NBC to have larger markets, but their contract with the NHL is already set. I’m sure the lawyers are hard at work to rework them but I doubt Sportsnet has told the NHL they’ll pay more if Montreal is in.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #1183
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d imagine having the play in rounds might offset some of the missed tv revenue for the final portion of the season.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #1184
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well if it was me I’d have a play in tournament for the 5th through 12th teams in each conference.

It’s a 7 game round robin. Play each team once. No ties, no loser points, every game that is tied through 60 minutes plays 3 on 3 until someone scores.

12th place team starts with zero points. Every other team is awarded starting points based on projected points over 70 games in excess of the 12th place team.

You’d be talking about 2 extra games over the current projected set up.

So yeah some of the bottom teams could be mathematically eliminated early on. They’d only have to hang around and play a weeks worth of games or so. Then the top 4 teams from that move on to the real playoffs.

I like this train of thought quite a bit. I might make one minor adjustment - I would propose to do a round robin with the teams in 6-12, if they insist on taking 24 teams. 6 games each. The reason is that there is a pretty clean drop off between 5th and 6th place in both east and west.

And your points idea works well in rewarding the regular season play so far, not just making a clean slate

Otherwise, I would prefer to see 22 teams, if qualification is based on merit and actual chance to get in, and if they insist on a clean slate. Having .500 Montreal in is not really reasonable.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #1185
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

More round robin than they’re proposing and you might as well just have a golf tournament instead.

Actually, I might watch that.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #1186
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I’d imagine having the play in rounds might offset some of the missed tv revenue for the final portion of the season.

It adds 40 potential games. It's not huge, but given some of the markets involved it'll definitely help.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Old 05-25-2020, 10:32 PM   #1187
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't really compare the NBA to the NHL...The lower seeds in the NBA already have ZERO chance of actually winning a championship let alone adding more teams that can't compete.

A 7th or 8th seed has NEVER won the NBA championship and only and handful have advanced past the first round in NBA history

Last edited by dino7c; 05-25-2020 at 10:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 11:12 PM   #1188
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I would't be shocked if the NHL didn't want to see how this plays out a bit as a longer term play. Cowperson used to say that if you want to get more scoring in the regular season...put more teams in the playoffs. In a 30 team league with 16 playoff teams, too many coaches are coaching to save their jobs, hence the huge emphasis on defence. So now there are a few of these better scoring teams (and the Flames can be one of them) who get to play with found money. You usually don't last long in the playoffs if you can't defend.

Really if they were to shorten the season to say 78 games in a 32 team league, and have a playin round...maybe the on ice product is a bit more interesting.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #1189
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Can't really compare the NBA to the NHL...The lower seeds in the NBA already have ZERO chance of actually winning a championship let alone adding more teams that can't compete.

A 7th or 8th seed has NEVER won the NBA championship and only and handful have advanced past the first round in NBA history
It’s even more shocking when you dig further:

Times a 1st seed won: 52
Times a 2nd seed won: 12
Times a 3rd seed won: 7
Times a 4th seed won: 1
Times a 6th seed won: 1
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 11:46 PM   #1190
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol rare for a 2 seed to win
Old 05-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #1191
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I would't be shocked if the NHL didn't want to see how this plays out a bit as a longer term play. Cowperson used to say that if you want to get more scoring in the regular season...put more teams in the playoffs. In a 30 team league with 16 playoff teams, too many coaches are coaching to save their jobs, hence the huge emphasis on defence. So now there are a few of these better scoring teams (and the Flames can be one of them) who get to play with found money. You usually don't last long in the playoffs if you can't defend.

Really if they were to shorten the season to say 78 games in a 32 team league, and have a playin round...maybe the on ice product is a bit more interesting.
That is a poster this website desperately misses.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #1192
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
How does revenue change significantly depending on which of the 24 teams are in? There’s no gate revenue.

It will benefit Sportsnet and NBC to have larger markets, but their contract with the NHL is already set. I’m sure the lawyers are hard at work to rework them but I doubt Sportsnet has told the NHL they’ll pay more if Montreal is in.
Well I'm sure Montreal and Chicago will sell more merch, more sports gambling etc
Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #1193
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
#NHL commissioner Gary Bettman expected to formally unveil the league's 24-team return to play format this afternoon at 4:30pm, followed by a media availability at 6pm.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #1194
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Just for argument's sake, in the 1998-99 season the Knicks made the finals as an 8th seed. That was a lockout shortened season. I can't see any 8th seed making the Finals in any format they choose this year. I can't see the Knicks making the finals any time soon.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #1195
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

And Pierre LeBrun immediately follows Frank's tweet with one of his own cautioning people that there is much more work ahead and this does not guarantee anything etc.

We get it. No guarantee. Everyone knows this.

This bugs the hell out of me. Just the news with less personal opinion please. Especially from LeBrun who seems intent on taking on the role of tempering expectations. I don't need to have every bit of potential good news followed by a sprinkling of pessimism. We have plenty of that literally everywhere.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #1196
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
And Pierre LeBrun immediately follows Frank's tweet with one of his own cautioning people that there is much more work ahead and this does not guarantee anything etc.

We get it. No guarantee. Everyone knows this.

This bugs the hell out of me. Just the news with less personal opinion please. Especially from LeBrun who seems intent on taking on the role of tempering expectations. I don't need to have every bit of potential good news followed by a sprinkling of pessimism. We have plenty of that literally everywhere.
The tweet does read as though it’s been finalized.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #1197
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DAZZLE View Post
Just for argument's sake, in the 1998-99 season the Knicks made the finals as an 8th seed. That was a lockout shortened season. I can't see any 8th seed making the Finals in any format they choose this year. I can't see the Knicks making the finals any time soon.
The 8th place seeds in the NBA are 5 games under and 1 game under .500.

The 9th place seeds are 16 games under and 8 games under .500.

No point in going to more than 16 teams in the NBA. The first round is essentially a joke already with 16 teams.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #1198
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The tweet does read as though it’s been finalized.

McKenzie, Friedman, Johnston, Pagnotta & Seravalli were all able to convey the news of today without telling us not to get our hopes up. They shouldn't have to. This was already explained when the news broke originally. They're doing what they should. Telling us the pertinent info.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #1199
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
McKenzie, Friedman, Johnston, Pagnotta & Seravalli were all able to convey the news of today without telling us not to get our hopes up. They shouldn't have to. This was already explained when the news broke originally. They're doing what they should. Telling us the pertinent info.
For the top percentile of avid hockey fans, yes we are aware. Even still, when I read that tweet I thought I had missed another vote of some type. A word such as “proposed” or “planned” would have changed that entire tweet.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #1200
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I like this train of thought quite a bit. I might make one minor adjustment - I would propose to do a round robin with the teams in 6-12, if they insist on taking 24 teams. 6 games each. The reason is that there is a pretty clean drop off between 5th and 6th place in both east and west.

And your points idea works well in rewarding the regular season play so far, not just making a clean slate

Otherwise, I would prefer to see 22 teams, if qualification is based on merit and actual chance to get in, and if they insist on a clean slate. Having .500 Montreal in is not really reasonable.
That works too. Anything that would give some proportional weight to the actual standings, while still allowing a reasonable chance for any invited teams to advance, seems preferable.

But I suspect they will go for the drama of the extra elimination series.
Closed Thread