Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #741
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to recall a time when there was such consensus on a goalie performance.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #742
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My wife, after hearing me swear throughout the game, commented as I came to bed, "You seem to be handling this very well. No yelling. No swearing."

I smiled at her, kissed her on the forehead, and said goodnight. She didn't need to know I was dead inside.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #743
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night mid way through the game I was talking to my buddy about how this was exactly what Calgary needed to get back in the series. The team was on their way to a clear dominant victory which would have given them all the momentum to tie the series. So incredibly deflating
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #744
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Wait, I'm confused. You said no shots from the middle, yet I count 6 shots from the slot or closer, 2 of which went in.
C'mon they didn't literally give up nothing but it was minimal.

1 of those was the Thompson high stick tip, and the other was the Ritchie goal that if he catches the floater shot from the outside instead of kicking a rebound right up the middle to his stick doesn't happen.

The Flames played a real tight game defensively IMO and their goalie decided to turn every shot into a disaster.

And I am sure the Ducks noticed that he let that goal in from that bad angle in Game 2 and realized they had something there.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #745
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I never hear another CPer whine about missed penalties and high stick goals that should have been called back, I'll die a happy man.

It's a game officiated by humans, they aren't going to be perfect. That doesn't mean that there is a league-wide conspiracy or that the Ducks have footage of Bettman sodomizing a chicken that they are threatening to upload.

We got a lot of calls our way last night, and STILL people come here to whine.

Seriously? Embarassing.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #746
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am still incredulous this morning at the high stick goal being called good. it defies all logic.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #747
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I don't know that I'd pile on Johnny, you can't really be mad at a soft and small winger for playing soft and small can you?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #748
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

0 goals in 60 minutes of 3rd period hockey for the flames in the playoffs.

3 goals in 60 minutes of third period hockey for the ducks, 5 goals scored in the series after the second period.

Elliott has been bad but the flames just don't have the horses.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #749
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
If I never hear another CPer whine about missed penalties and high stick goals that should have been called back, I'll die a happy man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I am still incredulous this morning at the high stick goal being called good. it defies all logic.
Lol, less than a minute
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #750
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Is there any point to watching game 4? This team is going to roll over for the sweep after this game.

I'm still so unbelievably mad at that high stick call and Elliott and the team for not getting this win.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #751
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
My wife, after hearing me swear throughout the game, commented as I came to bed, "You seem to be handling this very well. No yelling. No swearing."

I smiled at her, kissed her on the forehead, and said goodnight. She didn't need to know I was dead inside.
You really need to read Steve Martin's book the Cruel Shoes. this post reads like a shortened version of the short story the Sex crazed love goddess

http://www.geocities.ws/humorbynutty/cruelshoes1.html

Quote:
Sex Crazed Love Goddesses

Little Billy Jackson had to go to the store for his mother to pick up some postage stamps. When he got there, he found the stamp machine out of order, and decided to walk the extra three blocks to the post office. On the way there, he passed a hardware store, a variety store, and a lamp shop. The line was short at the post office and he got his stamps quickly and returned home. His dog, "Spider," bounded out to greet him as his mom waved from the porch. Billy's mother was pleased at the job he did and congratulated him on having enough sense to go to the post office when he found the stamp machine was broken. Billy had a nice dessert that night and went to bed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #752
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yes, Canehdianman, it is a game officiated by humans. They are prone to mistakes. Which is why we have video replay, to allow for such mistakes to be corrected. So while you can whine about other people's complaints all you want, the fact remains that the NHL consciously blew an obvious call at a critically important point in the game, even with video replay. The complaints are fully justified.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #753
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Say we win tomorrow and then win game 5. What do you think our chances are back here for game 6 to push it to 7?

We arent dead yet. I know we will win tomorrow. Then we will go to Anaheim and everyone will be up for breaking the curse before the season is over. Let's say we are down 3-2 hypothetically speaking going into game 6 at the dome. Do you guys think we could go on to win 4 straight against this young inexperienced defence core of Anaheim?

I don't think it's impossible. We are definitely not getting swept. I'd be willing to bet we win the next 2 games. What happens after that I don't know.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #754
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decided to go re-watch all the goals against from the series.

Goal 3 in Game 1, Goals 1&2 in Game 2, and Goals 1,2,4,&5 in game 3 could all be considered somewhat "soft". Some aren't the worst but when you consider game situation and timing they are saves you hope your goalie can make.

If there were 2 or even 3 of those in the series it would be fine but we are through 3 games and there are 7 goals that you could say "Oh he really could have done better on that" and that's unacceptable.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #755
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy-Gunt View Post
Say we win tomorrow and then win game 5. What do you think our chances are back here for game 6 to push it to 7?

We arent dead yet. I know we will win tomorrow. Then we will go to Anaheim and everyone will be up for breaking the curse before the season is over. Let's say we are down 3-2 hypothetically speaking going into game 6 at the dome. Do you guys think we could win 4 straight against this young inexperienced defence core of Anaheim?

I don't think it's impossible. We are definitely not getting swept. I'd be willing to bet we win the next 2 games. What happens after that I don't know.
If we can win tomorrow and break the curse in game 5, I will feel pretty good about game 6.

I know the 4th win is the hardest to get, but the Ducks are pretty experienced so I am assuming they are ready for it. We will see if they are focused or come out flat after a big win last night.

If the Flames somehow manage to get to game 6 I think the Ducks will be reeling and the Flames will have a good shot at making it to 7 and then all bets are off.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #756
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy-Gunt View Post

We arent dead yet. I know we will win tomorrow. Then we will go to Anaheim and everyone will be up for breaking the curse before the season is over. Let's say we are down 3-2 hypothetically speaking going into game 6 at the dome. Do you guys think we could go on to win 4 straight against this young inexperienced defence core of Anaheim?

I think the best case scenario is that the Flames win the next 2 and come out with the Ponda curse broken and avoiding the sweep. Anaheim has 4 games to end this. After watching the Flames blow that lead last night and blow game 2, which they probably should have also won if it wasn't for 3 garbage goals, I just can't imagine how they win 4 in a row at this point. I'll be cheering for them, don't get me wrong. But even with my rosiest homer goggles on, I just can't see it.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #757
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
The NHL gets the high sticking goal right, we're not having this conversation...easy as that!!
Lots of posters have said that but with the way Elliot played, do you honestly believe that he wouldn't have let in another weak goal anyways. The high stick goal was really a blessing for him because you can't blame him for that one.

I knew the Flames were done in OT, Elliot was going to give up a weak goal, pretty much the first shot on net.

You can't really blame the refs for this one. 4-1 lead, no power plays for the Ducks, Bennett got away with a boarding on Bieksa. Elliot and Gully blew it.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #758
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Something to consider:

Is Elliott the real problem it is he he right goalie for the wrong team?

Do the soft goals from Elliott matter if the flames have 2 more legitimate scoring threats in the top 6?

Backlund, even with 3 points, has looked rough in these playoffs, that line went from being Calgary's best line toaybe their worst between the regular season and playoffs. Backlunday be hurt, but still.

This team is struggling to score and I wonder if that might be a bigger hurdle for the team than the bad goals, the belief that once they are down by a couple that they are out of it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #759
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We scored 4 goals in a playoff game. 4 goals should win a game. Elliott was not good and everytime a goal went in he was looking for a ref to complain about something.
atb
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #760
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I think play should have been stopped when Cory Perry was punching players on the bench. Goal 2 never would have happened.
To me that's the play that completely turned the game around. And barely anyone is talking about it. Nothing on the panel, only like 4 people on CP (including me) even noticed it. Last time I checked, it was a penalty when a player on the ice start chucking their fists at players on the bench. At the very least, a whistle. At the most, a game misconduct.

Yes that goal was weak. But it shouldn't have even counted. An official was right there telling him to leave his stick, and instead Perry start punching Flames' players. No stoppage in play. Goal.

To me that was a worse blown call then the high stick. Even as Perry was punching away, you could see the camera on the jumbotron focusing in on the event.

Is there a rule now where that's not a penalty/stoppage in play and I'm completely out to lunch?? To me that's the turning point in the game. Yes Elliott sucked taint all night. But it was 2 screw jobs that helped contribute to the loss. Perry at the bench, and the high stick. Unreal.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: