Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Parents to pay for broken $132,000 Statue

I'm seeing this story around my feeds lately:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/...culpture-132k/

Basically, an unsupervised 5yo gave a statue in a community center a hug. The statue fell over and broke. The insurance company is coming after the parents for the $132,000 price tag of the statue. The parents are shocked and feel that they aren't responsible for the damage their child caused.

A lot of split opinions on this one, from what I can see. To me, it seems pretty straightforward. Kid broke statue. Kid sure can't pay for statue. People responsible for kid pay for statue. It sure sucks, but the statue is damaged due to the parents negligence.

Or should their be a limit on this sort of thing? Parent's are responsible for say...up to $10,000 of jr's property damage, and the rest is something the victim just has to eat the cost of?

Or is this a case of a kid being tempted to touch a shiny that didn't have enough security measures around it to prevent kids from resisting its siren song?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get where you're coming from and people have to be responsible for their actions.

But if something is worth $130K how can it be displayed in public in such a way that a 5 year-old could just casually knock it over? Theres got to be some contributory negligence there.

If he was beating the hell out of the thing to destroy it thats another story, but just knocking it over?

Go to any piece of public art and that stuff is borderline indestructible for reasons just such as this.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think generally parents need to be watching their children but accidents happen, and if something is that valuable, it shouldn't be put in such a vulnerable place.
So I largely blame the community centre for being dumb.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So an insurance company is refusing to pay for an accident?
They have some beef with the place that displayed this without any barriers or signs, but the parents should not be on the hook for an insured item.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can’t see the insurance company winning this.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
So an insurance company is refusing to pay for an accident?
They have some beef with the place that displayed this without any barriers or signs, but the parents should not be on the hook for an insured item.
My understanding is that the insurance company is paying for the item, but then going to attempt to recoup their losses from the responsible party.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only negligence here is the community centre for displaying such a valuable glass item with absolutely no safety measures in place.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parents should always let kids roam completely free around an art exhibit. My favorite part of the clip is the mother thinking it would be worth $800.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The only negligence here is the community centre for displaying such a valuable glass item with absolutely no safety measures in place.
And/or the insurance company for insuring the thing in the first place with no stipulation for safety measures to manage the risk of damage.

Isn't that their job? Risk assessment and management?

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 132k is the number the artist made up of what it is worth.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I’ve got a 5 year old and a 3 year old. I’ve often been distracted by one and had the other get into trouble. I get the sentiment that the parents are responsible, but how was a 5 year old able to destroy the statue?
Old 06-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this was a community centre, but I think in general kids under the age of 14 probably shouldn’t be allowed in art galleries. Children don’t get it, mostly don’t want to be there, and are distracting to the people who do want to be there.

Around Ottawa and Paris in the art galleries, the children seemed to have zero interest and were irritating. It’s like being in a movie theatre with a bunch of chatty people, but worse.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #13
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I’ve got a 5 year old and a 3 year old. I’ve often been distracted by one and had the other get into trouble. I get the sentiment that the parents are responsible, but how was a 5 year old able to destroy the statue?
It was on a pedestal about shoulder height on him. He reached up and gave it a 'hug'. It toppled over off the pedestal. He tried to hold on, but he's got it around the bottom and the top comes right over, smashes onto the ground and then he falls on top of it, completing the destruction.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #14
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Parents should always let kids roam completely free around an art exhibit. My favorite part of the clip is the mother thinking it would be worth $800.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay, but I'm not sure work by Bill Lyons of Kansas City really moves the needle much in the art world. There's a piece in this auction by him that sold for $300:

http://kansascityartistscoalition.or...m-2018-web.pdf

The idea that some unknown from Kansas City is going to produce a sculpture worth $130K is laughable.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I know this was a community centre, but I think in general kids under the age of 14 probably shouldn’t be allowed in art galleries. Children don’t get it, mostly don’t want to be there, and are distracting to the people who do want to be there.

Around Ottawa and Paris in the art galleries, the children seemed to have zero interest and were irritating. It’s like being in a movie theatre with a bunch of chatty people, but worse.

My son is 13. He has been selling his art since he was 9 and visiting galleries since well before then. I get that some parents drag their uninterested kids to various things but yours is quite the sweeping statement.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #16
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
It's worth what someone is willing to pay, but I'm not sure work by Bill Lyons of Kansas City really moves the needle much in the art world. There's a piece in this auction by him that sold for $300:

http://kansascityartistscoalition.or...m-2018-web.pdf

The idea that some unknown from Kansas City is going to produce a sculpture worth $130K is laughable.

I thought fossilized blue whale sperm was way more valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #17
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also question the value of this work. 130k is Jim Dines territory. This guy has no record of sales in that bracket, or any other bracket really. I suppose he can ask, but I suspect any challenge would be met favorably in court.

The exact same thing happened to me with a Dali sculpture at an exhibition in kelowna a couple years ago. It was bronze falling on concrete in a big warehouse. That poor kid was stunned.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #18
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Maybe they should submit the video to America Funniest Home Videos and hope to win the $100,000 Grand Prize at the end of the season.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #19
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty simple to me. Parents are/should be responsible. People, even kids, need to be responsible for their actions. Sure maybe it could have been protected better but that doesn’t absolve the parents and kid of their responsibility.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #20
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Maybe they should submit the video to America Funniest Home Videos and hope to win the $100,000 Grand Prize at the end of the season.
Yes, since there's no show called 'America's Most Pathetic Examples of Being Pathetic'.

I'm certainly not a negligent parent apologist, but if that paper mache piece of crap was worth $132,000, I think a little more than a velvet rope should be guarding it from little kids. And for that matter, why are little kids inside a gallery with such expensive works? What a scam. If it was actually that valuable, there'd be guards guarding it from being stolen, and the kid would have been bounced by them.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post: