Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #361
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
To me, he wasn't that interesting of a character. He was an archvillain red shirt only there to be killed by Ren.
he could have been something good. it was Rian's choice to turn him into the galaxy's most powerful Force idiot. I'm sure there are novel writers out there that will give him a treatment that isn't made out of pure contempt for Abrams.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #362
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hi Backstory has been pretty much pieced together from the various books and comics that have been released

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Snoke

However when they had the "Comedy" moment when Snoke's top half and bottom half slid off of the throne, I said to myself "That's it for him". The only thing missing was when Hux asked Ren what happened to Snoke, that Ren didn't reply with a "He had to split" line

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #363
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

having Snoke's tongue hanging out like he was roadkill was sure the cherry on top. I also enjoyed that one red guard that fell into some sort of cartoon industrial shredder and flew out as a million pieces. that's the sort of tone you should always go for when filming an epic and important battle scene.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #364
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny, because the last thing I really ever wanted to see in the OT was the Imperial Guards fighting, same in this one with the Praetorian Guards.

The Imperial Guards just looked mysterious and deadly, and if they were ever needed they would kick butt.

Then yoda came to town.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #365
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TLJ poisoned the well, and it doesn't help that people not so crazy about the movie were labeled as bad people by Disney and their minions. One more movie like TLJ and Star Wars as a brand will be essentially dead.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #366
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

saw these two stories in the sun today:

http://torontosun.com/entertainment/...fter-solo-flop

and

http://torontosun.com/entertainment/...noffs-still-on

i guess one of the above stories will be right one day
Old 06-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #367
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
TLJ poisoned the well, and it doesn't help that people not so crazy about the movie were labeled as bad people by Disney and their minions. One more movie like TLJ and Star Wars as a brand will be essentially dead.
This didn't happen.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #368
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This didn't happen.
Powerful argument.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #369
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Unlikely that it earns less based on previous trillogies

Star Wars - 307
Empire - 209 (68% of 4)
Jedi - 252 (120% of 5)

Phantom (the second worst). 474
Clone (by far the worst). 310 (65% of 1)
Sith (decent). 389 (125% of 2)

TFA - 936
TLJ - 620 (66% of TFA)
IX - 744 - 775 (120%-125% of TJJ)

I don't know if it will get to 744 but even attack of the clones and phantom menance didn't cause Revenge of the Sith to fail. Provided they stick with a Christmas opening it will out earn TLJ

Last episodes of Potter, Hunger games, Twilight etc all out earned their previous book movie and their previous 1st half split movies.
I could just post this again but I figured I would respond with an equal amount of thought and evidence that you put into your Disney is killing Star Wars is take.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:57 PM   #370
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Twilight and especially Hunger Games actually saw diminishing returns in their final movies. Lowest grossing HG movie is the last one (by a big margin). Twilight did a bit better but the last two movies didn’t out gross the second or third.

So your only example that holds is Harry Potter, whose finale became a pop culture event and far exceeded the rest of the series.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #371
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Safe to say at this point the film has bombed. It will lose at least $100 million some say losses are 3 times that. I don't think the movie is nearly as bad as the box office results suggest.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #372
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

No I agree, the reason for the film failing isn't in the movie itself, I thought it was good except for the ending scene. I think that the promotional work was solid and the clips they used were solid.

I think it is burnout, a bit of TLJ backlash and it is the spring release where movies go to die.

At least they resisted bringing everything together by having Han and a pregnant Qi'ra talking and she says "Its a girl" and Han says "We'll name her " and then we go to credits and everyone goes "Oh my god, I knew Han was Rey's baby daddy.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 06-28-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #373
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After being hugely disappointed with TLJ, I didn't bother going to see this one although I heard it was decent. It's pretty difficult to reserve and get time having a little one. I'll wait until it's streamable and save myself the $30 + babysitter fees.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #374
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I went to see it, but its funny I went to a movie by myself. I asked my dad, but he's getting too old for theatres, I asked some buddies and they weren't interested in seeing it. So I just went. Going to a movie by yourself is just weird though.

Anyways, I'll admit that right now my Star Wars fandom feels like its receding a bit. I mean lets look at the last few years.

The Clone Wars Captain Crunch says - "Awesome, great series, got darker as it went, really filled out the Star Wars Universe"

The Las Jedi - Captain Crunch says - "Well it was ok, it was pretty much a reboot of the new hope. I wasn't all that enamored with Kylo Ren, Vader had atmosphere. The good thing coming out, lots of interesting places to go, who's Rey's family, who's Snoke, omg they finally killed Solo"

Rogue One - "I really liked this, its a different kind of Star Wars movie. OMG Tarken and a young Leia, and that squadron leader, on and the guy with the arse for a chin. VADER!!!! These anthology movies have potential"

Star Wars Rebels Captain says - "Started as a kids show, never went as dark as TCWs but they had some great characters and story lines. I was glad to see they gave a good ending to Maul. OMG Vader, OMDG Thrawn. They killed a main main character, even TCW's didn't do that"

TLJ - "This is kind of a reboot of Empire. Poe's an enormous idiot", Kylo still not really that fearsome of an enemy. Wait Snoke's dead, double wait he's a redshirt, triple wait, Rey's parents are nobodies. They can trace us through Hyperspace? Who is Rose and why do we care? Oh wait we don't. Rey's parents are nobody, that's a dissapointment. Look its the Salt Speeders against the Walkers. Ren err Supreme Leader Ren, not that intriguing."

At that point I kind of hit bleh. I liked Solo but it didn't serve up the Star Wars Passion in me".

Oh an add on

New Star Wars EU books Captain says - "Wow these are bad, I'm not even looking at buying any more books."

Old 06-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #375
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
it is the spring release where movies go to die.
It opened Memorial Day weekend. That's traditionally one of the strongest times to open a movie. The first 6 Star Wars films all opened on Memorial Day weekend, and shattered records along the way.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #376
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It opened Memorial Day weekend. That's traditionally one of the strongest times to open a movie. The first 6 Star Wars films all opened on Memorial Day weekend, and shattered records along the way.

Yea, but I don't think any of those films had to compete with other massive blockbusters like the Avengers and Deadpool, which took a big bite out of Solo's potential box office take. Disney should have held off releasing it for at least another week or so, or just waited until Xmas where it would have performed better.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #377
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When Deadpool is a serious threat to a Star Wars movie you know Star Wars is in trouble. Heck Star Wars should be trouncing the Avengers, this is Star Wars. That's the problem, SW has become just another movie not a cultural event.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #378
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I went to see it, but its funny I went to a movie by myself. I asked my dad, but he's getting too old for theatres, I asked some buddies and they weren't interested in seeing it. So I just went. Going to a movie by yourself is just weird though.
Nah, it's pretty awesome. I love going to movies by myself. But then, I love going to movies. If I needed someone else to go with me whenever I saw one, I'd barely see anything.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #379
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the problem, SW has become just another movie not a cultural event.
With so many other franchises, Star Wars has become just another one of the many. I don't even blame the Disneyfication of it, I think it lost the mystique when the first of the prequels came out.

This article was written right before The Force Awakens came out, and it came to the same conclusion:

Quote:
Star Wars used to occupy a special place in the cinematic universe. The storytelling universe, really. They were these transcendent movies that captured imaginations across ages, genders, cultures, countries. They held up for decades, and would have continued holding up, I imagine. My daughter’s three, and I can’t imagine her not liking A New Hope when I show it to her in a few years. Or, if she doesn’t like it, it won’t be because it’s old (she loves Fraggle Rock and Peanuts, which is a good demonstration of how quality endures).

Now, though, Star Wars is stretched. As I write, only half of the movies in the franchise have been good, and when the new ones come out surely some of them will be bad. The new trilogy, all the origin stories they’re going to do — the whole thing will just settle into mediocrity. See the X-Men movies for a prime example of this.

More installments almost always means worse films.
https://medium.com/applaudience/star...e-ddc65a7c1316

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #380
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When Deadpool is a serious threat to a Star Wars movie you know Star Wars is in trouble. Heck Star Wars should be trouncing the Avengers, this is Star Wars. That's the problem, SW has become just another movie not a cultural event.
My boys simply aren't as into Star Wars as they are the Marvel stuff. I think that's a lot of the issue.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote