Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #41
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Not a fan of Clouston but he did a good job of upgrading his 2000 born depth. Bryan Lockener is a very promising young player. Very responsible 2 way player. Odds are he would have been taken in the first 2 rounds if he didnt have the NCAA scholarship to Denver University. Elijah Brown has the the tools to be a PPG in the league with his speed, skill, and creativity. They acquired him another trade for Seattle. Can't also forgot Ryan Chyzowski either.
Lockner scored in his debut tonight, and Brown had an assist.

These two will be good additions not only for this season, but the next two as well. Lockner being a right shot RW will likely get plugged into the top line with Rassell and Hamblin as the Tigers have been rotating guys through that line trying to find a fit since Ostir got injured.

They have a really nice crop of young forwards now. They'll be a factor for the division crown again next season, especially if Shaw and Quenneville come back as overagers.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #42
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

That Clague trade still has me a bit shell shocked. Wow! I guess that's what you do when there's no upgrade in goal, do everything you can to get the shot count down.

Now lets hope Hunter doesn't f this up.

Would be so nice to make another run at a championship! And then figure out how to get a few draft picks back, lol.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #43
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Went to the Pats game last night, and while I can understand they are probably a bit discombobulated with all the moves, they didn't play great, save for the first 20 minutes. They should have killed Edmonton the way they were playing, but sat on their heels.

That being said too, I don't quite understand the Kubic for Brown trade (yes, I know I'm oversimplifying it, but I don't feel like going into the other parts). While Brown doesn't play great during the season, he has proven playoff success and experience. He played big and tall too. Watching Kubic last night, he reminds me of Jonathan Quick, but less athletic. He plays extremely small, and isn't all that quick. I don't think he's the answer to the Pats goaltending.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #44
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going into the playoffs last year I thought Brown was going to be the Pats weak link. He really didn't impress me during the season, but he was ok in the playoffs.

Kubic gives the Pats another year to groom a starter, and talent wise is not really a downgrade. Risky going in to the Memorial Cup but they really needed to make moves up front.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #45
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Skinner with a 29 save shut out in his debut with the Broncos.

Flames prospect Gawdin with 2 goals and an assist in the 4-0 win.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #46
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barlage with the SO winner for the Canes the other night, and now he has 2 goals tonight.

Looks like a heck of a pick up.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #47
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty laughable that no one went after the MJ dman after the stick to Josh Mahura’s nuts in the 3rd last night, after all the supposedly toughness they added at the deadline.

Great push back by the Pats in the 3rd, after Moose Jaw came to send a message or appeared to outscoring them 4-0 in the first 20.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #48
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Don Hay, who tonight picked up win #743 as a Head Coach, becoming the league’s all time winningest bench boss.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #49
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As you'd expect, the jolt of a trade to a top 10 or even 5 team in the country has awoken Stuart Skinner. He was 14-15-2 / 3.38 GAA / 0.897 sv% with the Canes, now 6-2-0 / 2.00 GAA / 0.932 sv% with the Broncos.

Too bad he's all covered in oiler stink now. Still happy for the kid though.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #50
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm off to Cranbrook Friday to see the Chiefs/Ice game (my cousin Jaret plays for the Chiefs) and I also got tickets for the Ice/Bronco's game on Saturday evening. I always enjoy watching WHL games in the smaller venues and wish my schedule would allow me to travel more.

Last edited by FLAME ENVY; 01-29-2018 at 09:58 PM.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #51
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im surprised Barrett Sheen didn't get more than a five-game suspension for his WWE flying elbow to the head of Joel Craven Saturday. In the OHL thats a 150 game suspension (Im exaggerating but still).

Old 01-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #52
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a travesty.

Craven is really messed up. Terrible concussion.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #53
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canes now 7-2-3 since the trade deadline.

They just beat Swift Current 5-2, came within 30 seconds of beating Moose Jaw last week (ended up losing in OT) and lost 2 games to Kelowna in extra time as well. Competing hard with the top teams.

It's amazing to me that after dealing away some of their best players the team actually finds some consistency after struggling with it all season to that point.

They'd actually be ahead of Med Hat by 1 point if they were to win their 3 games in hand now, as the Tigers are struggling with just 2 wins in their last 10 games.

Jeri-Leon has been a nice addition to, tallying 5 goals and 8 points in 11 games since being acquired. Hopefully Cozens isn't out too long.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #54
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Sheen suspension is even more of a travesty if I what heard is true, Craven is unlikely to play again this season. For a team already decimated by injuries, they now lost Hollett indefinitely after he hurt his knee in Langley last night.

The injury list is littered too with the names of prominent players. The way this season has gone, when the playoffs start, health, or lack of, is something to watch. The number of frontline players who have recently returned from injuries is pretty significant as well.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #55
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That Sheen suspension is even more of a travesty if I what heard is true, Craven is unlikely to play again this season. For a team already decimated by injuries, they now lost Hollett indefinitely after he hurt his knee in Langley last night.

The injury list is littered too with the names of prominent players. The way this season has gone, when the playoffs start, health, or lack of, is something to watch. The number of frontline players who have recently returned from injuries is pretty significant as well.
Craven is not in good shape at all. He was ####ed up after the game.

The Tigers injury woes are ridiculous, and started before the season even began with their captain to be and best player Mason Shaw getting hurt at the Wild training camp and he still hasn't returned. He had 94 points as an 18 year old, and would likely be top 10 in league scoring had he been healthy. That's a big loss.

Preziuso and Ostir should be back in the next couple weeks, but Nassen is still out for a bit and since he's been out the Tigers have really hit the skids.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #56
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to see Brayden Burke become the first player in the WHL and CHL with 100 points, but still doesnt have an NHL contract.# Its obvious the kid has skill. I've heard off ice things that are issues, but that's in the past as hes apparently matured.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #57
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting to see Brayden Burke become the first player in the WHL and CHL with 100 points, but still doesnt have an NHL contract.# Its obvious the kid has skill. I've heard off ice things that are issues, but that's in the past as hes apparently matured.
Yeah. He had 109 points as an 18 year old two seasons ago with the Hurricanes. Still went undrafted because of his size, but the Flames did bring him to development camp that summer.

Of course, he was a massive distraction to the Hurricanes that fall at the beginning of the season (off ice issues indeed), so Anholt decided to move him along which sucks because that's a trade you aren't going to win. So instead of having a 100+ point forward for 2 more seasons, they got a couple of middling picks and Ryan Bowen.

Anyways, makes me bitter as a Canes fan. Hopefully he has matured, maybe someone will give him a try out if that's the case.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #58
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red Deer has tied Kootenay for the 3rd playoff spot in the Central. They are just on fire now which is nuts since before this hot streak they didnt win a game in a month. Helps that Kootenay has gone ICE cold as well. Pun intended.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #59
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Yep Red Deer sold off assets, and has still clawed their way back into playoff contention.

Nice moves by Sutter, and it also goes to show just how weak the Central is this year.

RE: Burke. Yep tough to lose that skill, but some issues for the kid here and glad that MJ seems to be working out for him.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #60
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It happens. Jason Krywulak had two 100+ point seasons for the Broncos in the early 90's and never got an NHL sniff. His 161 point season in 92'-93' is still a Broncos record that won't be broken anytime soon. Gawdin's having a great year but won't come close. I got to know Jason when playing with the Dinos, tremendous hockey player and a fantastic guy.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote