Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2017 NFL Preview and Predictions Thread

Alright, I know we still have 1 week of preseason left but the meaningful preseason games are done. Who do you like this year? Here's what I have:

AFC East:

NE 12-4
BUF 9-7
MIA 7-9
NYJ 3-13

Analysis: Pats are obviously the cream of the crop in an extremely weak division. I think the Bills were better than their record last year and should be an all-around better team without Rex coaching them. Dolphins are the prime regression candidates in this division and the Jets are absolutely atrocious. I'm not sure how they'll get 3 wins but they'll find a way.

AFC North:

CIN 10-6
PIT 9-7
BAL 8-8
CLE 4-12

Analysis: Both Cincy and Baltimore were plagued by injuries last year but I think Cincy did more in the offseason to get better as a team and has the slightly better defense to nip Pittsburgh for the division title. The Browns show signs of improvement but are still rebuilding.

AFC South:

TEN 10-6
IND 8-8
HOU 6-10
JAX 6-10

Analysis: The Titans narrowly take the division due to Andrew Luck missing a couple of games this year. Houston, who really had no business being the playoffs last year, regress hard and O'Brien is fired to end the season. Jacksonville's defensive improvements get them to 6 wins despite Bortles still being terrible.

AFC West:

KC 11-5
DEN 9-7
OAK 8-8
LAC 7-9

Analysis: According to the numbers, the Raiders are the biggest regression candidates in the league. We'll see if they buck the numbers but they'd be one of the few teams to do so. The Chiefs will probably also drop a couple of wins this season but I think they have enough talent to take the division again. The Broncos defense keeps them at 9-7, which is probably their ceiling until they improve at QB. The Chargers are improved but still not good.

Wildcards: Pittsburgh and Denver

NFC East:

DAL 10-6
PHI 10-6
NYG 8-8
WSH 7-9

Analysis: I think the Cowboys will miss Zeke and Dak will come down to Earth a bit. Their defense is also a question mark, especially the secondary but they might still have the overall talent to retain the division. The Eagles get improved play from Wentz with his new improved supporting cast. If the secondary is better with the addition of Darby, then their elite offensive and defensive line play could snag the division title. The Giants offensive line is horrible and Eli isn't getting any younger. While they have a plethora of receiving weapons and a solid D, the lack of a run game and protection problems will cost them a few wins. Washington continues to be Washington.

NFC North:

GB 10-6
MIN 9-7
DET 7-9
CHI 5-11

Analysis: Green Bay and Minnesota are neck and neck for me but Green Bay gets the nod due to Aaron Rodgers. If he misses any time though, I think the Vikings walk away with division. The Lions didn't really get better in the offseason and they were already overperforming last year. Chicago gets a little better but not enough to save John Fox's job.

NFC South:

ATL 11-5
NO 8-8
CAR 7-9
TB 6-10

Analysis: Atlanta's offense is for real and the defense improves enough for them to hold serve in the division. The Saints got better enough on both sides of the ball that I think they can challenge for a WC spot but ultimately come up just short. TB upgraded Winston's weapons but they still look poised to regress. Carolina improves slightly with the additions on offense but I'm not sure they've done enough on D to snag a playoff spot.

NFC West:

ARI 11-5
SEA 8-8
SF 5-11
LA Rams 2-14

Analysis: We'll see if Carson Palmer can make it through one more season but I like the Cards chances this year, especially with the Seahawks still having offensive line questions. San Francisco looks improved just by getting away from Chip Kelly. The Rams might be the worst team in football and have by far the worst owner and FO.

Wildcards: Philadelphia and Minnesota

PLAYOFFS:

I really hate predicting playoffs at the beginning of the season but here goes:

Wildcard

PIT over TEN
CIN over DEN

GB over PHI
MIN over DAL

Divisional round:

NE over PIT
KC over CIN

GB over ARI
ATL over MIN

Conference championship

NE over KC
GB over ATL

Super Bowl

GB over NE
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

My main predictions:

AFC
Jets either go 0-16 or 1-15. They're bad.
Browns start their turnaround and win 6-8 games.
AFC North division winner wont have more then 9 wins.
Titans run away with the AFC South.
Colts are last in AFC South.
Chiefs and Raiders battle for AFC West.
Broncos finish last in their division.

NFC
East - Dogfight of a division. I can't pick who wins it. Anyone can really.
NFC North will see Packers win the division.
Bears will be competitive but lose a lot of close games. Likely 2-3 win team.
Bucs arrive and beat the Falcons for the division. Falcons make it in as a wildcard.
NFC West sees Cardinals bounce back and win the division.
Seahawks miss the playoffs.

Pats vs Bucs in the super bowl.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol I mean as Bucs fan seeing anyone predict them in the Super Bowl is pretty funny. Bucs are still far too weak on defense and don't have enough of what you need to win in this league (namely good corner play and pass rush). I'm also still not convinced Jameis is really going to be great, his decision making is still quite suspect. I think they'll definitely be fighting for a playoff spot, but they're still another year at least away from being any kind of real threat. As far as predictions go...

AFC
1. New England (13-3)
2. Tennessee (11-5)
3. Kansas City (10-6)
4. Cincinnati (10-6)
5. Pittsburgh (10-6)
6. Oakland (9-7)

NFC
1. Seattle (12-4)
2. Green Bay (11-5)
3. Atlanta (11-5)
4. Philadelphia (10-6)
5. Dallas (10-6)
6. Tampa Bay (9-7)

NFCCG: Seattle over Atlanta
AFCCG: New England over Cincinnati

SB: Seattle over New England

MVP: Russell Wilson
COTY: Sean McDormott (I think Buffalo wins 9 games and just misses a playoff spot)
OROY: OJ Howard
DROY: Miles Garrett (the Browns win something!)

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 08-29-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if I should be nervous or excited with these Titans expectations this year.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote