Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #181
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Not a fan. This team has never had shortage of receivers. They needed to make an example out of this and they failed. Failure will be allowed to continue.

It wasn't just one fumble; he had multiple drops, also showboated into the end zone on the first score of the Grey Cup. He got enough balls thrown his way to pad his stats otherwise it was an awful game from him and should've been allowed to move on.
He was still their most dangerous receiver when healthy. He needs to work on his ball security but he was amongst the league leaders in yards and TD's when he got injured. He's got potential to be one of the top receivers in the league and re-signing him IMO is a no-brainer.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #182
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I blame him for that awful fumble that cost the Stamps the Grey Cup, would like to see him come back even more focused and driven to make amends.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #183
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brandon Smith will be back next season.

The Stampeders have signed veteran international defensive back Brandon Smith. The native of Oakland, Calif., had been eligible to become a free agent in February.

Smith has played 142 contests in the regular season and 16 in the post-season – with all but one of those games being starts – since joining the Red and White in 2008.

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/12/2...h-staying-put/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #184
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Versatile offensive lineman Brad Erdos extends.

The Stampeders have signed national offensive lineman#Brad Erdos. A four-year veteran out of Simon Fraser, Erdos had been eligible to become a free agent in February.

“Brad is an important member of our offensive line and it’s good to have him back,” said Calgary president and general manager John Hufnagel.

“I’m happy to be back in Calgary,” said Erdos. “It’s a great city and I enjoy playing in front of our awesome fans.

“The players and coaches here are some of the best in the league and I’m excited to get the chance to work with them again. We have some unfinished business and are ready to take another run at the Cup.”

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/12/2...s-staying-put/

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #185
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Joe Burnett's situation depends on whether Shaq Richardson will sign with the NFL or not. If Shaq leaves, Burnett will be re-sign. If he stays, then I guess Burnett leaves.
I like Burnett but he pretty lost his spot last season. Actually Jameel Thurman might even take that starting spot if Deron Mayo is back healthy. It is a problem that both Huf and DD love to have..too much depth.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #186
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
I think Joe Burnett's situation depends on whether Shaq Richardson will sign with the NFL or not. If Shaq leaves, Burnett will be re-sign. If he stays, then I guess Burnett leaves.
I like Burnett but he pretty lost his spot last season. Actually Jameel Thurman might even take that starting spot if Deron Mayo is back healthy. It is a problem that both Huf and DD love to have..too much depth.
I don't see a scenario where Mayo is back with the team, unless he takes a big pay cut. Harris / Thurman / McManis were all exceptional and are all young / cheap. They also have Dwayne Norman who they like. Very deep at weak side without Mayo.

I just can't see them playing anyone but a DB at SAM. Position required ability to cover.

All secondary starters are free agents. Depends on who comes back, Patrick Levels I feel will be starting somewhere next year. At corner or SAM.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #187
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave Dickenson is being inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. Congrats to DD.

DAVE DICKENSON
University of Montana
Quarterback, 1992-95

A Montana football legend, Dave Dickenson remains the Grizzlies’ all-time leading passer and still holds 28 other school records. The two-time First Team All-American becomes the second player in school history to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

The recipient of the 1995 Walter Payton Award as the top player in the FCS, Dickenson led Montana to the FCS national title that year. In the championship game, he orchestrated a 12-play, 72-yard scoring drive that culminated with the game-winning field goal as part of a come-from-behind win over Marshall. In four playoff games in 1995, Dickenson threw for 1,500 yards and 13 touchdowns, bringing his totals at the end of the season to 5,676 and 51, respectively. Although the NCAA did not recognize playoff statistics at the time, he completed the regular season with a school- and then-Big Sky Conference single-season record 4,176 passing yards. Dickenson’s 379.6 yards per game in 1995 rank fifth all-time in FCS history and still stand as a school and conference record. His record-setting senior season also extended off the field where he was named an NFF National Scholar-Athlete and earned his third consecutive Academic All-America honors.

The three-time First Team All-Big Sky selection and Big Sky Offensive MVP led the Grizzlies to conference titles in 1993 and 1995, and he led the FCS in passing yards per game as a junior and senior. Dickenson finished third for the Walter Payton Award in 1994 and was an Honorable Mention All-American in 1993 after leading the team to the playoffs in both seasons. A three-time team MVP, his school-record 11,080 career passing yards are sixth in conference history, and his 33 career wins remain a program best. A member of the University of Montana’s Grizzly Sports Hall of Fame, Dickenson’s No. 15 jersey is one of only two retired jerseys at the school.

After college, Dickenson played professionally for 12 seasons, most notably in the Canadian Football League for the Calgary Stampeders (1997-2000, 2008) and the BC Lions (2003-07). The 2015 CFL Hall of Fame inductee was the league’s MVP in 2000, and he won three Grey Cups (1998, 2006, 2008). Dickenson spent the 2001 and 2002 seasons in the NFL with the San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins and Detroit Lions.

After seven years as an assistant coach, Dickenson has served as head coach of the Calgary Stampeders since 2016, leading the team to two Grey Cup appearances in as many seasons and earning coach of the year honors after his first campaign. Active in the community, Dickenson is heavily involved with the Special Olympics in Alberta, Canada, and supports the Calgary Urban Project Society. A member of the Montana High School Association Athletic and State of Montana Football halls of fame, he was named the Big Sky Conference’s greatest-ever male athlete in 2013.

http://www.3downnation.com/2018/01/0...ll-fame-class/
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #188
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he was 6'2" he would have been a career NFL QB as he had everything except size.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #189
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Calgary Stampeders have signed international receiver#Reggie Begelton, national offensive linemen#Dillon Guy#and international defensive lineman#Mike Rose.

All three players were with the Stampeders in 2017 and finished the season on the practice roster.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/01/0...ree-players-2/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #190
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@mikejurecki:

#Raiders sign DB Shaquille Richardson to a futures contract. @UofA

Old 01-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #191
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Former Stamps QB Keeling dies at 78

https://www.tsn.ca/former-stamps-qb-...at-78-1.973920

Former Calgary Stampeder Jerry Keeling, who quarterbacked the team to the 1971 Grey Cup title, has died. He was 78.
The Stampeders announced his death Saturday in a press release.
Keeling — known as "Bones" to his teammates because of his slender build — joined the Stampeders in 1961 after a standout career at the University of Tulsa.
He first made a name for himself as a defensive halfback, earning CFL all-star honours in 1964, 1965 and 1967 and was a five-time division all-star on the defensive side of the ball. Keeling moved to the top of the depth chart at quarterback when Peter Liske left for the NFL.

As one of the best two-way players in franchise history, Keeling has his name in two places in the CFL record books. He shares the CFL's record for the longest pass, a 109-yard connection with Terry Evanshen at Winnipeg on Sept. 27, 1966, and also has one of the longest fumble returns in league history, a 102-yarder against B.C. on Sept. 22, 1964.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #192
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/01/2...ood-test-time/

Quote:
“They flew me down to a mini-camp,’’ Rob Cote, who announced his retirement Tuesday morning at McMahon Stadium, reminisced.

“I remember that vividly.

“I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why I was doing all this … flying to work out for a team based, y’know, here. I was attending U of C at the time and wondering: ‘Well, why don’t I just park in the usual lot and walk across the street to McMahon if they want to take a look at me?’

“I was a junior kid. My only goal was to not be the worst guy out there. I didn’t want to embarrass myself. So I’d trained my butt off.
Thanks for all the work Cote! Enjoy Retirement!
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #193
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I loved Cote, he was always the invisible man but had an amazing work rate.

I bought a Stamps jersey a few years back lettered for Cote.

That fullback position isn't glamorous or for the attention seekers, but Cote was very good at it.

Enjoy retirement.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #194
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP to former Stamps coach Bob Vespaziani...

Vespaziani joined the Stamps in 1986 after eight seasons as an assistant coach with Winnipeg and BC. He guided the Stamps to a 13-13 regular-season record in his 26 games on the sidelines and, in 1987, he added Wally Buono to the Calgary coaching staff.

Buono later became the Stamps’ head coach and in 1995 he hired Vespaziani for what would prove to be a five-year stint as defensive line coach. Vespaziani was part of the Stamps’ Grey Cup-championship team in 1998 and also won championships with Winnipeg in 1984 and with BC in 1985.

“Bob had a great sense of humour and he was loved both by his fellow coaches and the players,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel, who served with Vespaziani on the Stamps coaching staff in 1995 and 1996. “He will be missed and, on behalf of the Stampeders organization, I offer deepest condolences to his family and friends.”

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/01/2...ob-vespaziani/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #195
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

games played:

276 – Mark McLoughlin
224 – Larry Robinson
223 – Jay McNeil
216 – Jamie Crysdale
214 – Alondra Johnson
188 – Ron Allbright
184 – Jerry Keeling
180 – Wayne Harris
179 – Rob Cote
178 – Nik Lewis
178 – Randy Chevrier
176 – Allen Pitts
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #196
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Congrats @robcote26 u were and will always be one of my favorite teammates. U were that little piece that made everything better. Some don't know it exists and others over look it until its broken. U were very valuable to the team's success in Ur career. #Respect #GradeAFamilyToo - Nik Lewis

Congrats to @robcote26 aka “The Weapon” on a great career. He did all the little things that don’t show up on the stat sheet. A true professional, team first player, and all around good guy. Glad I had the chance to strap it up with you for 6 years. - Marquay McDaniel
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #197
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/01/2...gns-red-white/

Quote:
The Calgary Stampeders have signed international defensive end Ja’Gared Davis. The Southern Methodist product had been eligible for free agency on Feb. 13.

Davis joined the Stampeders in 2016 and has recorded 16 sacks in 28 regular-season games for the Red and White over the past two seasons. In 2017, he played 10 games including nine starts and had 32 tackles including one tackle for loss, nine sacks, 21 quarterback hurries, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and a punt block.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #198
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
That's huge.

IMO he is the best rushing end they have, and I'm the biggest Charelston Hughes fan you will find. Keep doubling CH and this guy gets one on one ..he wins most of the time.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #199
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/0...oaching-staff/

After a six-year career in the Canadian Football League including the past four seasons with the Stampeders, Joshua Bell is retiring as an active player and has been named Calgary’s defensive backs coach.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #200
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wtf?!

CFL on TSN

Verified account

@CFLonTSN
2m2 minutes ago
More
REPORT: Stampeders trade All-Star DE Charleston Hughes to Ticats http://tsn.ca/1.986757 (h/t @3DownNation)
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post: