Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #1681
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
But we can agree BP's is no better, right?
BP’s is worse. Swiss Chalet fries are pretty good at least...unless they are delivered and they are soggy and gross.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #1682
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Scoop either started in Lethbridge or we had our own version of it. I went to school with Lindy Moriyama and Tammy Jean Young, the original hosts.

Turns out that we played again Robb Goodwin in hockey one or two of the seasons when this was on the air. Not sure how we knew this was him, but we did, and even at 12 and 13 we'd have guys on the team skating by him saying "Here's a scoop, we just scored" or "Scoop this, you guys suck".
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 11:37 PM   #1683
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone recall a kid's news oriented show (I believe it was a nationally syndicated CBC program with a male & female host) that was on during the mid 80's and featured the 'Five W's' of the news that week in which the viewer would initially have to guess the answers? My Grade 6 teacher would always record it and we'd watch it in class.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #1684
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pylon tells me that we should all remember that we miss Don Wood and Kingo Bingo!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #1685
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #1686
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Totally random but does anyone remember Marvelous Mmmuffins? They used to be in all the malls; I don't think I actually ate their much (being a kid) but I distinctly remember their stores...

Good article here: https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wi...0s-muffin.html

I think Cookies by George is another "niche" food store (discussed earlier in this thread I believe); I also remember when Cinnabon first opened -- that place seemed super busy for the longest time...
My Dad owned one of these, im pretty sure its the exact one in your picture do you know what location that was?
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #1687
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

That one was over in the Muffin District. Across from Muffin Bottoms and kitty corner to Ear Muff'ns.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #1688
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
My Dad owned one of these, im pretty sure its the exact one in your picture do you know what location that was?

Found the photo on google. Apparently it is 10088 - 102 Ave in Edmonton:

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/mmmuffins-edmonton
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #1689
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zellers is long gone in Calgary, but apparently there were two locations in Ontario that were still open but now are finally closing: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada...lose-1.4580805

Kind of funny that they stayed open years after Target closed...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #1690
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Found the photo on google. Apparently it is 10088 - 102 Ave in Edmonton:

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/mmmuffins-edmonton
FFS, I hate Yelpers so much. Did you see this little bitch that left a 3-star review because she wished it had more cinnamon and thought $2.25 for a fresh-baked muffin was too expensive.

Quote:
For many years when I was in a mood for a muffin I would head to mmmuffins for their apple cinnamon. It was my favourite muffin and I have never found another to compare. Recently I was in City Centre on a way to a meeting and decided to get an apple cinnamon. Glad there was no line up and there were about 5 muffins left. There were other kinds but the selection doesn't seem to be large.

I got my muffin but had sticker shock that the price is now $2.25. Yes, it tastes better than other fast food places that sells muffins and it's not processed and tastes freshly baked. But I found it lacked a little more cinnamon than in the past.

I would still go back and have this muffin once in a while and hope it's a little more spicy!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #1691
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a pretty strong reaction to what is a pretty passive review. She even says she would go back.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #1692
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
That is a pretty strong reaction to what is a pretty passive review. She even says she would go back.
It's the three stars that kill a business. If you're not giving five stars, you're damaging them. She seemed to enjoy her muffin (although it could have used some more cinnamon in her expert opinion), but she gave it a 60%. That's a pass, but not by much, and certainly not a rave review. What gives her the right to stamp that low score on the forehead of a company and then leave it there for going on six years now? I mean, I guess the company is no longer in business so it matters less, but their legacy is this chick's nasty little review.

This is why businesses need to be able to shed reviews - good and bad - after six months. Her 60% review lives on forever. Fata her.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #1693
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post

I was the MMMMMuffin muffin guy on Macleod trail one summer when I was a kid. If your dad owned the one in south center I owe him an apology and a pair of custom yellow clown loafers. I was fired for j-walking and I may have kept the muffin shoes.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #1694
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver;7198291[B
]It's the three stars that kill a business. If you're not giving five stars, you're damaging them[/B]. She seemed to enjoy her muffin (although it could have used some more cinnamon in her expert opinion), but she gave it a 60%. That's a pass, but not by much, and certainly not a rave review. What gives her the right to stamp that low score on the forehead of a company and then leave it there for going on six years now? I mean, I guess the company is no longer in business so it matters less, but their legacy is this chick's nasty little review.

This is why businesses need to be able to shed reviews - good and bad - after six months. Her 60% review lives on forever. Fata her.
Okay, I have to ask if this is actually a thing?

In my world 5 stars is absolute perfection for a rating. A business would have to have provided amazing service to warrant a 5. 3 stars is 'average' but average means completely acceptable in my world. Giving a rating of 3 would mean (to me) that everything was I would have expected and I got the service I expected. What's wrong with that?

Am I out of the norm in thinking this way? Nothing wrong with a 3, I would rarely ever give out a five. Am I that out of touch with online ratings? Or has grade inflation crept into our rating system now as well?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #1695
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, you're right. 3 out of 5 stars is perfectly acceptable if the service was worth 3 out of 5 stars.

If people are too stupid to figure that out and expect perfection on everything, that's not your problem.

One way to guarantee you're not getting a 5 star review from me is to play that stupid "anything less than 5 stars might as well be zero". Screw you, fine I'll give you zero and you tell me that's the same as 3 stars.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #1696
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

After I got screwed around at Europcar the guy gave me a review card and said "make sure it is 9 or 10, or I get in real trouble." He had a reall look of concern on his face. Like, wtf? It was not 9 or 10, it was at best a 3. I'm to lazy to review anyway, so lucky for him, but why are companies doing this to their staff?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #1697
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

That comes from the Net Promoter Score (NPS) a lot of businesses like to use. They want everything to be a 9 or 10 because then you are a "Promoter" and your score means you will tell your friends how much you likes the product. 7-8 is neutral. 0-6 is a detractor.

So places all want 9-10. That can be fine, but when bonuses and things are tied to those scores then you get employees asking for the scores they need whether they deserve them or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Promoter
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #1698
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Okay, I have to ask if this is actually a thing?

In my world 5 stars is absolute perfection for a rating. A business would have to have provided amazing service to warrant a 5. 3 stars is 'average' but average means completely acceptable in my world. Giving a rating of 3 would mean (to me) that everything was I would have expected and I got the service I expected. What's wrong with that?

Am I out of the norm in thinking this way? Nothing wrong with a 3, I would rarely ever give out a five. Am I that out of touch with online ratings? Or has grade inflation crept into our rating system now as well?
I don't know if you're out of the norm, but I can tell you every single business would rather you not write a review at all before you'd give less than five stars. No business wants to be average or below because customers prefer the best business. If I could, I'd pay you to take down a three-star review because they're that bad. If you're three-starring businesses, you're damaging them, just so you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
No, you're right. 3 out of 5 stars is perfectly acceptable if the service was worth 3 out of 5 stars.

If people are too stupid to figure that out and expect perfection on everything, that's not your problem.

One way to guarantee you're not getting a 5 star review from me is to play that stupid "anything less than 5 stars might as well be zero". Screw you, fine I'll give you zero and you tell me that's the same as 3 stars.
No, he's wrong. Pricks give three stars. They're not acceptable unless your goal is to hurt the business, in which case congratulations, goal achieved.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #1699
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't know if you're out of the norm, but I can tell you every single business would rather you not write a review at all before you'd give less than five stars. No business wants to be average or below because customers prefer the best business. If I could, I'd pay you to take down a three-star review because they're that bad. If you're three-starring businesses, you're damaging them, just so you know.
ProTip: if you leave garbage reviews for places on Google, some of them will actually message you back and try to improve your experience with free meals next time or coupons/gift cards.

But usually I ignore it because if the place was garbage I don't really want to go back and eat free garbage.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #1700
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Sliver is right about the weight of 3 stars. I get it, some people think they're leaving a slightly above average rating, but it really isn't viewed that way by consumers, that's just the reality.

5 stars is a place you want to go/use, 4 stars is pretty decent. 3 stars is poor and a place you'll likely avoid. You can still do it, but you have to understand you're giving them a poor review and effectively telling people to stay away, despite what you've actually written.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time