Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoic View Post
Help with looking for the following at any Calgary-area liquor store:

1. Canadian Club Chronicles 44

2. Johnnie Walker Blue New York Skyline Special Edition

Or advice on who to call who MAY have them? (i.e. a higher end shop in Calgary)

Thanks
Search for these items on https://www.liquorconnect.com/ to see if they have even ever been ordered through the AGLC to any stores in Alberta. If not, I would say you can't find them.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #942
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoic View Post
Help with looking for the following at any Calgary-area liquor store:

1. Canadian Club Chronicles 44

2. Johnnie Walker Blue New York Skyline Special Edition

Or advice on who to call who MAY have them? (i.e. a higher end shop in Calgary)

Thanks
I may have seen the Johnnie Walker at the new Wine and Beyond in Legacy. (Looking at the box online, pretty sure I drooled over it). Maybe give them a shout (587)625-1280.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:33 PM   #943
Tawiskaron
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Kensington wine market is having their annual inventory clearout before end of year stock count. Some pretty good discounts to be had this weekend.
Tawiskaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tawiskaron For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #944
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we talk bourbon in here?

Just finished a bottle of Bib & Tucker. Probably the coolest looking bottle in the shelf but it’s not for everyone. Pretty unique flavor, think licorice. I enjoyed it and it does look great in the liquor cabinet.

Picked up a bottle of George Remus next. It was in my whisky advent calendar and I liked it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 07:24 PM   #945
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bourbon is Eagle Rare. Full stop.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #946
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, bourbon is Blanton's Gold... But not full stop. Lots of good stuff out there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #947
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I more of a scotch guy, but I have all the time in the world for the easy drinking Woodford Reserve bourbon.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #948
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you like the sweeter Scotches, the higher end bourbons are in step with a $200 bottle, for about $120. The mass marketed bourbons around $60 are pretty one note, but some of those are a pretty tasty note.

Michter's does bourbon and rye, and I'm not a fan of their rye (there are cheaper and better Canadian options), but their bourbon is pretty good. Gifted a 10yr a while back and it was excellent. I also like Kentucky better than Tennessee, it tends to be smoother.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:31 AM   #949
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this thread because Scotch needs to be talked about. Especially at this time of year.

I'm a peat guy myself. About a month and a half ago I got back from a trip of a lifetime with my dad, my brother-in-law, and his dad.

We hit up most of the Islay distilleries:
- Bowmore
- Bruichladdich
- Kilchoman
- Ardbeg
- Ardnahoe
- Laphroaig
- Lagavulin

Didn't get to Bunnahabhain or Caol Ila.

Also stopped in at Oban and Tobermory (Isle of Mull) distilleries in our travels.

It all came about a couple of years ago while drinking Ardbeg in the back yard on a hot summer night. "We should go to some of these places one day." I didn't think it would actually happen, but I'm really glad it did.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2022, 09:44 AM   #950
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were there a few years ago, loved it. My favourite day was getting dropped off at Ardbeg, doing the tour and lunch in their restaurant, then walking the path to Lagavulin, Laphroig and into town. Proper tipsy by the end! It was hilarious at Laphroig when I went in the shop and realized I could collect "rent" for my plot of land I had registered years before. Got a free little bottle.

Spoiler!

Did Ardbeg have any good special malts? They had Drum for us, which was delicious and different.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2022, 10:02 AM   #951
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We were there a few years ago, loved it. My favourite day was getting dropped off at Ardbeg, doing the tour and lunch in their restaurant, then walking the path to Lagavulin, Laphroig and into town. Proper tipsy by the end! It was hilarious at Laphroig when I went in the shop and realized I could collect "rent" for my plot of land I had registered years before. Got a free little bottle.

Did Ardbeg have any good special malts? They had Drum for us, which was delicious and different.
We also collected our rent, but all but one of us hadn't yet registered for the Friends of Laphroaig thing yet. But we observed people walking up to the desk and saying "I'm here to claim my rent" and getting a free small bottle with no verification, so we just did it and got one too.

At Ardbeg, we were there the day before Hypernova was released, and they were very strict about keeping it embargoed, which was unfortunate. Cases of it were stacked in the store, but even our tour guide who was chummy with the staff couldn't get a bottle or a taste. I believe that our options for the tasting were Wee Beastie, An Oa, Corryvreckan, and maybe the regular 10. So nothing too "special".

I was pleasantly surprised by how tight of a whisky community there was there. Obviously it is a small place, but distilleries don't talk down about their competitors, and are often very kind about the other distilleries and what they produce. We even saw the Ardbeg guy in the parking lot of Laphroaig (right after he had given us a tour at Ardbeg) because he was there to meet his daughter for lunch or something like that.

Most are owned by massive conglomerates now anyway, but there really was a feeling of "we're all in this together". And despite their parent companies, most are still doing it the way they want to do it, and they way they always have done it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #952
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know if there's a major difference in flavors between American oak hogshead cask finish vs French oak hogshead cask finish in whiskey/scotches?

I have one I'm about to crack open. My understanding based on reading on the differences in wine is that both will be similar. French oak is likely to be more smooth with a longer after taste. American oak will be sharper and have more alcohol taste, but a deeper sweetness will aid to neutralize it. In the past, I've personally disliked American oak finishes because some have a strange subtle chemical/sappy flavor that is reminiscent of glue, but my buddy never tastes that weirdness, so I'm not concerned about that flavor. I've never tasted that flavor in French oak.

My buddy had a Tomatin 2006 private bottling American Oak finish cask strength (bottled 2018) that he really liked. I nabbed a Tomatin 2006 private bottling French oak cask strength (bottled 2021) and I assume it will be similar and he will like that one too.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:02 PM   #953
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Bumping this thread because Scotch needs to be talked about. Especially at this time of year.

I'm a peat guy myself. About a month and a half ago I got back from a trip of a lifetime with my dad, my brother-in-law, and his dad.

We hit up most of the Islay distilleries:
- Bowmore
- Bruichladdich
- Kilchoman
- Ardbeg
- Ardnahoe
- Laphroaig
- Lagavulin

Didn't get to Bunnahabhain or Caol Ila.

Also stopped in at Oban and Tobermory (Isle of Mull) distilleries in our travels.

It all came about a couple of years ago while drinking Ardbeg in the back yard on a hot summer night. "We should go to some of these places one day." I didn't think it would actually happen, but I'm really glad it did.

Isn’t OG Calgary on the isle of Mull?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #954
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Bay, ya. it's not much to behold:
Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2023, 05:02 PM   #955
Tawiskaron
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Just a friendly bump as its been over a month since someone posted.

Also, for anyone completing their Canadian Club Chronicle series...the 45 year came out a few months ago. Purchase it at Co-op as its $140 cheaper than your usual places I've found (KWM, Willow, Craft, BSW etc).
Tawiskaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tawiskaron For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 01:25 PM   #956
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If anyone likes to support local distilleries, Two Rivers Distillery here in Calgary is about to release their first batch of Whisky. Should be available to the public in the next couple weeks. I joined their Whisky Runner program a couple years ago, and was able to snag a bottle! hoping to dip into it later tonight.

Chatting with Mark, one of the owners. It's a single barrel release, so there'll only be ~300 or so bottles available. They'll have 6 batches over the course of this year, next one expected to be ready by June.

Sounds like they got hit pretty hard over COVID, and they were worried they weren't going to get to this stage. It's at the point where they won't be keeping any extra barrels to age longer, so they can focus on debt payments while getting these batches our the door!

So it's a great chance to support a local shop, and get in on a first batch!

Last edited by MrCallahan; 02-15-2023 at 01:28 PM.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:04 PM   #957
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Opened a bottle of Auchentoshan 12 year tonight. Nice sweet and warm flavour on a cold winters eve.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 07:08 AM   #958
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a bottle of 15 y/o Pappy, debating on whether to drink it or sell it, lol.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote