Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 01:02 PM   #10041
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Last year was their year.

Three players scoring over 100 points each, with their top-scorer flirting with 2.0 pts/GP for the first time since 1996. Six of their top-seven scorers registered career seasons, and they were playing in front of a goalie who caught lightning in a bottle, all to go along with the first power play to crest 30% in over 40 years.

to me as an outside observer that was always the big one. sure I expected the wonderduo to continue their ways , but they had this group of 30 somethings all signed to pretty big deals. the goalie has already been disappeared but

Hyman - beats career high by 29 points and 9 goals at age 30
Nuge - beats career high by 35 points and 9 goals at age 29
Kane- beats career high (injury adjusted) for goals and ties for points at age 31

you don't need actuarial tables to predict what could happen next
Old 11-22-2023, 01:03 PM   #10042
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I seriously think Draisaitl’s trade request will come before the trade deadline if they keep losing like this through December. Doubt the actual trade happens before the TDL though.

Even if Draisaitl doesn’t make a trade demand… he won’t re-sign this offseason. At most, I could see him saying “let’s see how the season goes”. Which means, if they don’t get off to a roaring start right away next season, he’s not re-signing at all and he’s off to free agency. The question is… would the oilers go into next season without him signed or would they trade him this summer if he refused to sign? I really don’t think they will trade him this summer unless he demands a trade. Because losing draisaitl like means McDavid will follow, they will probably just take the gamble next season. If it’s a losing season again… they will have to trade him at the 2025 TDL. If they look like they might make the playoffs… they’ll walk him to free agency.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:09 PM   #10043
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
to me as an outside observer that was always the big one. sure I expected the wonderduo to continue their ways , but they had this group of 30 somethings all signed to pretty big deals. the goalie has already been disappeared but

Kane- beats career high (injury adjusted) for goals and ties for points at age 31

Unless your part of the media, they have yet to figure out E=NG
Old 11-22-2023, 01:18 PM   #10044
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
The Oilers would have to send multiple picks to shed Campbell's contract. If the Flames had to move a first rounder to trade Monahan for one year, it would be more for Campbell. Almost four more seasons at five million for a goalie that couldn't even play backup for Stuart Skinner!

I would think the bare minimum is two first rounders... maybe even three, I think for Saros it would need to be 5-6 first round picks if they plan on Nashville taking Campbell off their hands. Jack Campbell is a boat anchor, and it's obvious other teams know that. He is no longer an NHL goalie, and all the other GMs know that. I don't know if he's even an AHL starter these days.
Especially when you consider that no team getting campbell is likely to roster him, its why i think any deal with him needs to be treated like 2 deals. 1 to deal with campbell, one for the asset. Even if a GM is feeling particularly generous with Kenny, it is still a 1st to take campbell plus probably a 2nd or 3rd for each year left on his deal. Then there is the deal for whatever goalie they are trading for, which is still a deal where the other GM knows they have the oilers by the short and curly's. Not to mention the trade partners are limited to teams that are comfortable backfilling the goalie they move with someone from the farm, because Campbell is probably done playing in the show. Plus, to further how badly over the barrel they are in a trade, most of the goalies that get linked as someone they might trade for have some sort of trade protection and I can't imagine the oilers running campbells career into the ground as hard as they did does much to entice other goalies to give grease a chance.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:54 PM   #10045
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Even the wonderduo were probably due for a bit of regression, because at some point teams were going to slow down that PP a little bit.

Now it's probably better than the 21% it's at right now, but not sure they were going to have another 30%+ year.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:09 PM   #10046
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder what another GM would value Drysaddle at knowing that he wouldn't be playing with Connor on a different team. I'm sure there is at least one that would pay face value.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:12 PM   #10047
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I think the Oilers give up on finding another goalie, recall Campbell and go to Plan B: Sign Phil Kessel in a last-ditch attempt to outscore their way to respectibility.

Oilers are going to Oil.
This sounds realistic, even probable.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:12 PM   #10048
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
I wonder what another GM would value Drysaddle at knowing that he wouldn't be playing with Connor on a different team. I'm sure there is at least one that would pay face value.
Likely a top-quality young roster player, top prospect and 1st
Old 11-22-2023, 02:27 PM   #10049
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can actually see Drai re-signing. That way he can continue to make big bucks with no requirement to actually play a 200 ft game.
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 02:33 PM   #10050
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best case scenario is they extend Drai for some stupid number like 15 million AAV, and then McDavid walks anyways. Unlikely but I can dream
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 02:57 PM   #10051
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
Ah yes, the Warren Young paradox.

A line mate of Mario's in his rookie season, Mario basically shot pucks off of his body and into the net and Warren ended up with a 40 goal 72 point season. After a career in the minors he hit the jackpot. After making 85k in 84-85 he signed with the wings for 4 years in a front loaded contract of 970k followed by 3 years at 170k and a 170k signing bonus. After loudly yelling yahtze and pumping his fists for 3 solid months over the summer he went to the Red Wings and bombed. He lasted a year with the Wings before being dumped in the minors, the Pens actually traded him back hoping to recapture his magic with Mario. He did 8 times in the 86-87 season, then bombed back to the minors.

I'm not saying that Draisaitl is all the way Young. But has he ever really established that he can drive a line without Conna? The answer is a long nooooooooooooooo.

So if I'm a GM I'm really leery of him if I want him as a center point of the team. Besides that his effort without the puck is spectacularly um bad.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 03:04 PM   #10052
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

RNH will definitely be one of those who am I answers one day. I played 1200 NHL games for one team. I was a number one overall pick. I had a single 100 point season but never topped 70 in any other. I smell like ass due to where I spent my entire career. Who am I?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 03:08 PM   #10053
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Best case scenario is they extend Drai for some stupid number like 15 million AAV, and then McDavid walks anyways. Unlikely but I can dream
That's exactly what I think will happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 03:10 PM   #10054
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Likely a top-quality young roster player, top prospect and 1st
I expect the trade to be "one for one".
Old 11-22-2023, 03:12 PM   #10055
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I can actually see Drai re-signing. That way he can continue to make big bucks with no requirement to actually play a 200 ft game.
Hey. They’re trying to keep the puck out of their net.

Just ask Connor.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:13 PM   #10056
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
RNH will definitely be one of those who am I answers one day. I played 1200 NHL games for one team. I was a number one overall pick. I had a single 100 point season but never topped 70 in any other. I smell like ass due to where I spent my entire career. Who am I?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 03:15 PM   #10057
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Clearly AI isn't that advanced yet; should have been a toilet
Or one of those round urinals they have there.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:42 PM   #10058
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I was at that show, Max Bell arena ! circa 84-85
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 04:50 PM   #10059
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
I was at that show, Max Bell arena ! circa 84-85
General Admission?
Old 11-22-2023, 04:59 PM   #10060
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Everything their players did last year revolved around the PP. People look at them like these guys had amazing years, but they really weren't that much better, they just got points.

McDavid, Leon, Nuge and Hyman were all well over 3 mins a game on the PP. Nuge, McDavid and Leon were all over 50 points on the PP. Hyman was at 26.

The Flames leading forwards on the PP were all under 3 mins a game and Toffoli lead with 25 points on the PP.

McDavid had a huge year, he was likely to regress. The rest of these guys were just mooching off him other than maybe Leon but even he isn't as good as his numbers.
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough