Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #41
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't even think it's a penalty
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #42
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

100% clean hit. Buddy has his head down for a solid 3-4 steamboats, through open ice, with the puck. straight shoulder to chest, head is incidental contact, no elevation, just straight through him. Textbook open ice hit, and he deserved it. What else is Trouba supposed to do? Play touch bum with him? Sorry bud, you got your butt handed to you, but this is the big leagues now. It'll remind him exactly what every player is taught from minors, which is don't skate with your down, especially in a situation exactly like that.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #43
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I take issue with the notion that players should ‘let up’. What, take 25% off and hope you still lay an effective hit? So we have guys going in for checks that have to pull up, and risk making an ineffective play?
I remember Gio standing Kadri up one year, and it totally got under his skin (I think he actually had a suspension or a fine for some retaliatory action). I can’t imagine what that play would have been like if Gio has to stop and think “hm, this legal hit might be more than necessary to separate the player from the puck, I better dial it back”. Or Ferland in the Nucks series, where he literally took a player out of the play by laying him on his ass, promptly scoring thereafter.
Or Tkachuk on Kassian. Imagine expecting Matty to lay off a bit because he didn’t ‘need’ to lay into it.
You don’t want guys trying to injure players, and I don’t believe most players ever do. But to hurt your opponent? Yeah, you want them to know when you’ve hit them, not just bounce off the puck.

I think at that point you start asking players to give less than 100%, and I don’t support that in professional sports.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:01 PM   #44
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I honestly think he did let up on the hit, Trouba is a big guy and he could've exploded through on that hit. Looked to me like he just braced for impact instead of going all out and going right through Dal Colle.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #45
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If these type of hits are being taken out of NFL you can bet they will be taken out of hockey.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #46
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trouba had him lined up for a while (i.e. was in control of his actions), and drove his shoulder right onto Dal Colle's head. Principal point of contact. I would guess he will probably get 2 or 3 games.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #47
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep your head up son
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #48
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
...he hits him and then the contact lifts both his feet off the ice, as per physics.

I'll just pick on this post, because a few posters are saying the same thing. Seriously, what "physics" are you talking about? Action-reaction? Impulse? Mass transfer? The hit does not by itself cause the body to lift off. It can cause a ricochet effect, if a lightweight player (e.g. Gagner) hits a heavyweight player. Or, it can cause a forward motion in the direction of a hit, when a heavy player steamrolls another player in vulnerable position. In order for the body to get up int he air, the hitter must initiate the jump, which may occur before or after the hit itself.

Trouba absolutely was in a "jump mode". And the fact that he smirked and fist-bumped his teammate when sitting in the box, tells me he wanted to do it. I will be very surprised if he doesn't get a hearing and a game.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 02-25-2020 at 10:18 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #49
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He didn't jump into the hit.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #50
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
If these type of hits are being taken out of NFL you can bet they will be taken out of hockey.
Then take hitting out of hockey. Serious, if that is the way it heads you might as well just eliminate the physical element. You will also lose a large portion of the fanbase.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #51
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put me in the camp that thinks Trouba couldn’t have done anything differently and Dal Colle needs to keep his head up.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #52
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's clean too. Sucks to see that happen, but you can't be looking at the puck like that in the middle of the ice.

Slowing it down from the camera angle that runs along Dal Cole's frontal plane (0:56), the point of contact is the high center of Dal Cole's chest, and the head is going to snap back as a result, making it look like his head was hit. It's still very dangerous as that can cause injury to the neck and spine.

But as far as hockey rules go it's a clean hit.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:10 PM   #53
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Primary contact is the head, so I think a penalty is warranted now. Not the case a few years ago, and I really don't think he did much wrong to warrant a suspension, but he might get a game. It wasn't like dal Colle changed his head angle at the last minute.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:21 PM   #54
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post

I'll just pick on this post, because a few posters are saying the same thing. Seriously, what "physics" are you talking about? Action-reaction? Impulse? Mass transfer? The hit does not by itself cause the body to lift off. It can cause a ricochet effect, if a lightweight player (e.g. Gagner) hits a heavyweight player. Or, it can cause a forward motion in the direction of a hit, when a heavy player steamrolls another player in vulnerable position. In order for the body to get up int he air, the hitter must initiate the jump, which may occur before or after the hit itself.

Trouba absolutely was in a "jump mode". And the fact that he smirked and fist-bumped his teammate when sitting in the box, tells me he wanted to do it. I will be very surprised if he doesn't get a hearing and a game.
I’m no physicist, but I’m pretty sure it’s momentum.
Cars can’t jump at all, yet you will almost almost see the rear of a vehicle lift when involved in a powerful collision. Roll a ball on the ground towards a wall, and it will almost always go up before coming back. Maybe an actual physicists can chime in, but I believe your premise that a jump must be initiated is entirely wrong.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #55
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So what do you want the rule to be in that situation? Trouba should be required to try and poke the puck?
If you hit a guy in the head with your stick, it's a penalty -- regardless. If you hit a guy in the head with your shoulder, it's a penalty -- if you want concussions out of the game.

I'd rather see a high stick than a high hit. At least you can get new chicklets and they work just the same as the old. Ain't no replacing your brain.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:41 PM   #56
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Legally, yes you can. I don't see that as predatory at all. He had the puck there for your fair game outside intentionally hitting the head.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:42 PM   #57
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no issues with Chucky's hits on Kassian, so how can I have any issues with this one? Clean hit, shouldn't even be a penalty.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:43 PM   #58
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch point 2 to understand why this isn't a penalty, nevermind a suspension.

As others have said, Trouba shouldn't have to fight after a clean hit.

Last edited by Mike F; 02-25-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:49 PM   #59
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Seems like a pretty clean hit to me. Dal Colle put himself in a vulnerable position and Trouba tucked his arm and finished the check. But I truly have no idea whats clean or not anymore after the whole Kassian-Tkachuk incident.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:32 AM   #60
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The elbow to Pageau after was worse.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote