Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Rating out of 10 : Flames Deadline
0 3 0.98%
1 8 2.61%
2 9 2.93%
3 33 10.75%
4 25 8.14%
5 51 16.61%
6 77 25.08%
7 73 23.78%
8 23 7.49%
9 1 0.33%
10 4 1.30%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #101
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their score of 4 for me during the deadline and score of 2 during the summer leaves them with a failing grade on the season for me. Having said that the playoffs are worth 75% of their overall grade so there is still a chance to pass by going deep in the second round or later.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #102
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

At 1 pm yesterday, I would have thrown a 3 on this. After digesting and reading, I've settled at a 6. It appears to be a pretty big upgrade to the bottom pairing which may translate into more offense. You know "good defense leads to good offense". If we had upgraded our right side, I would have went 9.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #103
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
Is the general belief that we wont be resigning Brodie?
A lot of that will depend on how ready they think Valimaki is.

I can absolutely see why he wasn't traded though, not only because the organization needs him for this playoff run, but the Flames need options in the off season.

I'm curious if people think the organization was actually going to blow it up? They've just figured out the goalie situation, with Rittich. Even if they did trade Monahan/Gaudreau, the team is still better than the very bottom of the league. So they are not likely to land that franchise centre anytime soon. You'd basically be trading Gaudreau/Monahan for the hopes you can draft....Gaudreau/Monahan.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #104
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Given the fact that Martinez fetched two 2nds, Scandela went for a 2nd and a 3rd and Chicago was hoping for a similar return for Gustafsson, I’m very happy to have only given up a single 3rd round pick for him as I think he can potentially bring something we lack to the PP. That said, I’d have loved to have picked up a top 6 RW but given the prices, I think Treliving did quite well. I give him a 7.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RT14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #105
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've come back to this, also looked at the video of Gustaffson's goals (the shot that we've been asking for?) and the total list of trades this season. I have come to the conclusion that I was wrong and I don't think anyone was going to offer a 1st for Brodie. There wasn't really a comparable trade (maybe skjei but he is younger and has term. Vatanen got very little.) It probably was better just to keep him in the end. We don't really have anything else worth selling at this point, and we probably weren't going to make a "blow it up" trade until the off season.

I was harsh earlier. This is probably a 5 or 6. We didn't do anything disastrous. I am always so hasty, but holding on to players longer even while trying to trade them has worked really well in recent years- the Duchene trade being the prime example, but Karlsson seemed to work well too.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #106
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The major failure of this draft in my opinion is the trades that weren't made. I have to believe Brodie is as good as gone. Not realizing any draft or on ice compensation for next year on that expiring asset is ultimately a significant misstep for the organization. It would've been a misstep for any deadline, but seeing the prices that were paid specifically for the assets the flames had to sell, it's hard to justify losing both hamonic and brodie this off-season for nothing. Knowing what transpired at the deadline, I'm now even more confident predicting the flames will end up re-signing Harmonic, which will end up being a mistake from a value to performance ratio.
This is a lot of speculation. What we do know is that Brodie is valuable to this team this season. Regarding Hamonic. He is hurt, and therefore impossible to trade. Moreover the fact that the Flames actually aquired D-men suggests that he will miss a significant amonut of time. Another fact although more subjective is that Stone, Yelleshin and Davidson were not good enough, and a large part of the reason the Flames D has struggled as of late. The Flames were not in a position where they could sell without mortgaging this season. Which does not make sense, because they are in a playoff spot, and could find a easy matchup first round.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #107
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW this is what Craig Custance has to say.

Quote:
Calgary Flames: B-minus

Nothing splashy but, when the dust settles, the third-round pick for Erik Gustafsson could end up looking like one of the best deals of the deadline even if he has his flaws.

“He’s not very good defensively but he’s a hell of an offensive defenseman,” said an NHL scout on Monday. “He sees the ice well. He makes the special pass. I like all those things about him but he (doesn’t defend well).”
https://theathletic.com/1633235/2020...on-wrapped-up/
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #108
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

was between 6 and 7 so I rounded up to 7.

filled the need for more D but not a winger...although maybe if Gus can make the PP better then that goal increase will off-set the missing forward.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #109
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gave it a 6. I would have loved if this allowed them to maximize a return on Brodie, however, given that they haven't, and looking at the acquisition cost, these are depth moves, not players they expect to be playing top4 mins...

Now that the deadline is done, and the flames right on the bubble, I would love to see a simple poll thread created: Deadline done, ~20 games left. Will the Calgary Flames make the playoffs?
a) No
b) Yes - WC
c) Yes - Divisional spot
d) Yes - Div champs
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #110
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
While icing a full complement of healthy defensemen.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Sure, but he didn't ask that. I gave him an example that parallels the Brodie situation pretty well.

If the Flames had moved Brodie for a higher pick or picks, and still brought in two other Dmen, they would still have enough healthy guys anyway. Especially with Gio back. Yelesin and Davidson also seemed capable of being a 6th Dman as well.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #111
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I've come back to this, also looked at the video of Gustaffson's goals (the shot that we've been asking for?) and the total list of trades this season. I have come to the conclusion that I was wrong and I don't think anyone was going to offer a 1st for Brodie. There wasn't really a comparable trade (maybe skjei but he is younger and has term. Vatanen got very little.) It probably was better just to keep him in the end. We don't really have anything else worth selling at this point, and we probably weren't going to make a "blow it up" trade until the off season.

I was harsh earlier. This is probably a 5 or 6. We didn't do anything disastrous. I am always so hasty, but holding on to players longer even while trying to trade them has worked really well in recent years- the Duchene trade being the prime example, but Karlsson seemed to work well too.
I appreciate the self-reflection, as I am just catching up on the thread and I thought your first few posts were over the top.

I too give it a 6. Nothing to get overly excited about, but very little downside as well. Would have been slightly higher if we could have improved RW, but it does seem clear it would have been tough without giving up too much. The Trocheck deal was the only one that I thought would be interesting from a matching perspective. He might make a difference and has another year left on his deal.

The Brodie thing is the toughest to swallow, but in the end I think the Flames did the right thing. I was as tough on Brodie as anyone at the end of last year/beginning of this year. I thought he was done. Done as a hockey player as it seemed that he had lost a step and done as a Flame as I thought he was passed over as a legit top 4 defenceman. I was wrong. He has been really good this year. With Gio and Hammer out, he may well be the difference in the team making the playoffs or not. He is our own rental, with a chance to re-sign, but perhaps not the expectation to. As always, it all depends on price and term.

Solid TDL day. Nothing to lose sleep over. 6.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #112
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

In isolation, both acquisitions are fair. I just don’t think they will be consequential to the Flames fortunes.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #113
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I rate the Deadline a 3 (could go up to a 5+ if Gustafsson returns to old form and resigns with the Flames). We didn't do enough to keep up with other teams in the division (Vegas/Oilers) but still traded away picks to plug a short term hole in the defense. As the GM if you don't believe enough in the group to go all in, you should try to trade away some UFA's so you can retool for next year.

In my glass half empty scenario both Gustafsson and Forbort are not upgrades on what we have, they don't resign, our UFA's that have value leave, and we are out a couple of picks.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #114
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Voted 5. Middle of the road team gets a middle of the road rating.

Plugged the holes they needed to but opted not to spend big time assets to bolster the team in general.

Pretty much confirming that management will let this core sink or swim as it is with changes coming this summer if necessary.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:07 AM   #115
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm still of the opinion that this core needs to be completely reworked, so not getting a head start on that, especially at a trade deadline with high prices being paid, is a major miss.

On the flipside, if Tre is confident in this core, then missing out on Trocheck is a major fail. He seems like exactly the kind of player to supplement the current top 6, and was traded for not very much. Outbidding the package Carolina gave up shouldn't have been that hard. Heck, just matching it while being in the other conference should have been enough for Florida.

As others have said, in a vacuum the moves the Flames made were fine, maybe even good, but overall in the context of this season, and the last many, many years, it's just more moves that keep the team mediocre and not ever building to a true contender.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #116
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Supposed to be a deep draft.

They also got a third back so it’s basically a trade down scenario. One prospect writer even said there is a minimal difference in quality between picks 25-50 this year. Lots of depth, but it comes down to personal preference
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #117
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. Would have rather sold Brodie and a healthy Hamonic than expend more assets for rentals. Middling assets yeah, but assets none the less. However, I understand why they didn't sell. Very tough spot to be in.

They did snag a couple Dmen with skill sets they need though, a big physical defensive dman that can skate and an offensive dman. Whats done is done, hopefully the team gels and gets hot down the stretch and makes some noise.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #118
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the voting tells me the majority see it as completely neutral, with the optimists beating the pessimists.

If we see a decrease in goals against and an increase in our PP we should be looking good without giving up really anything of value.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #119
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

8. Absolutely love the deals that BT didn't make. There seems to be some panic in the community about Brodie, but the fact he didn't move talks me BT is confident they can get a new deal done with TJ. He most certainly could have been moved easily and for a nice return had he chosen to do so. That's my take on it, I could be wrong. Do not see this as similar to what Burke did with Mike Cammalleri where he was pissed at the quality of offers.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #120
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted 6.

We needed help on D big time. There were other more talented players available but obviously at prices Tre was unwilling to pay.

I like the injection of new blood and enthusiasm into an exhausted defense corps.

And great having Gio back.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote