Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Rating out of 10 : Flames Deadline
0 3 0.98%
1 8 2.61%
2 9 2.93%
3 33 10.75%
4 25 8.14%
5 51 16.61%
6 77 25.08%
7 73 23.78%
8 23 7.49%
9 1 0.33%
10 4 1.30%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2020, 10:38 PM   #21
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d say a 6, addressed the power play and also depth on defence. I wanted an upgrade on RW but I understand prices were nuts. This is Tre’s final kick at the can with this group, it changes are likely in the summer.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny darko View Post
The overall tune that I am hearing is mostly frustration with being stuck in a blah middle ground. Not quite sucking, but not contending either. I would much rather the Flames be in a position like Vancouver or Edmonton. Where their GM felt that the roster has earned the deadline additions, and the fans are okay with the picks being traded because they genuinely feel like some magic could happen once the group gets into the post season. I would be happy to part with picks if I felt the same about this team.
Just watch what “magic” happens with those two teams.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:44 PM   #23
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

6, was wanting some intellectual honesty about the prospects of even making the playoffs let alone going on a run.

This team hasn't shown us anything except for a nice run after Peters was jettisoned. The goal differential and general poor play are big red flags for a playoff team.

If we aren't signing Brodie, which would be a mistake imo, we should have tried to flip him for something.

The other part of me hopes they can pull together somehow with some fresh blood. The depth players have come alive recently and if the top guys get it together they could figure this out.

In the context of the prices paid by other teams I think Treliving did well. We certainly didn't get fleeced on these trades.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:45 PM   #24
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious what moves people would have liked to see.

Trading Hamonic was my first choice but who's buying in that deal if he's out for a month?

Can't really trade Brodie with Hamonic injured either, sends a message to the team (and arguably more importantly, Treliving's bosses) that the team isn't expected to make the playoffs.

I wanted a top 6 forward but who? The only deal I saw made in the last few days that I would have liked the Flames to make was Kovalchuk. Who even knows, we might have even had a better offer there but Bergevin let the player choose his destination.

Getting another mid round pick back for a guy like Czarnik would have been really nice but who knows what kind of interest there is in that.

Imo the fixes this team needs, and there definitely are some, aren't the type you acquire in February. They're draft Day and summer deals

Last edited by btimbit; 02-24-2020 at 11:01 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #25
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Curious what moves people would have liked to see.

Trading Hamonic was my first choice but who's buying in that deal if he's out for a month?

Can't really trade Brodie with Hamonic injured either, sends a message to the team (and arguably more importantly, Treliving's bosses) that the team isn't expected to make the playoffs.

I wanted a top 6 forward but who? The only deal I saw made in the last few days that I would have liked the Flames to make was Kovalchuk. Who even knows, we might have even had a better offer there but Bergevin let the player choose his destination.

Getting another mid round pick back for a guy like Czarnik would have been really nice but who knows what kind of interest there is in that
They could have traded away Brodie while also acquiring Gustafsson/Forbert. It wouldn't send that message.

Injuries should never have any impact on anything unless you're a bona fide contender, or you have so many injuries that you know you can't contend.

Couldn't disagree more on the Kovalchuk front.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #26
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ll post what I did earlier in the day below. Flames had to do something to show the the players they want to compete and win. They gave up very little and got two interesting pieces that could fit in. From earlier:

You know what? I expected to be disappointed with today and I am actually pleasantly surprised. We have injuries on D and these guys provide us with some extra jam for the playoff push.

Forbort has handled elite competition before and is physical. Big force and great at boxing out the front of the net. Something the Flames have struggled with.

Gustafsson can really help our transition game. We need that puck up the ice quicker and he can do that while also helping the PP.

What Im really intrigued about is how this sets us up for next year. With Gustafsson being a leftie on the right side there is a good chance to sign him for a decent price.

I always expected the Flames to make a push for Hall and switch up their defensive mix for next year, but if these guys work out it clears that picture up a bit. I could see the Flames doing:

Sign Forbort - 2.75
Sigh Gustafsson - 3.75
Sign Hall - 9.5
Sign Demelo - 1.8
Re-sign Mangiapane - 2.55
Re-sign Kylington - 1.5

That leaves you the opportunity trade Hanifin. I have no doubt you could move him at the draft and get a first ++ to help restock the cupboard a bit.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Hall - Backlund - Tkachuk
Lucic - Ryan - Mangiapane
Dube - Bennett - Gawdin

Giordano - Andersson
Valimaki - Demelo
Forbort - Gustafsson
Kylington

Not perfect, but something along those lines. Might need to shave some cap by trading Bennett or finding a cheap back up depending on what the cap rises to. Would be better to get some more right shots in the forward group as well, but not bad! Forbort and Gustafson are cheaper, younger replacements for Hamonic and Brodie.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, so many people saying getting Gustafsson means Brodie should have been traded. Do they think they are at all similar? They are almost opposites in skill sets.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 PM   #28
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
They could have traded away Brodie while also acquiring Gustafsson/Forbert. It wouldn't send that message.

Injuries should never have any impact on anything unless you're a bona fide contender, or you have so many injuries that you know you can't contend.

Couldn't disagree more on the Kovalchuk front.
It absolutely sends that message. You can't trade a guy that plays on your top pairing and say you replaced him with two 5/6 guys.

Who got moved that made you mad the Flames didn't do that deal? I posted the one I liked in Kovy, it's your turn
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #29
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Considering the injuries to Hamonic and Gio BT’s hands were tied. Bad luck and bad timing.

With the prices yesterday I am glad he went bargain hunting , although I would have liked some sandpaper depth in the forward department.

1/10 as a result of injuries, but effort 7/10 considering the situation at hand.

Maaaaybe he could have traded a D-man, but I think we’ll see Hanifin gone in the off season.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #30
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
They didnt stand pat, they didnt waste the top picks.
They laid a bunt.
When you've got someone in scoring position in a tie game and less than two outs, that's a solid play, if well executed.

Considering the alternatives of throwing in the towel with only two NHL-calibre D on the roster after trading Brodie (until Gio returns, and also considering that this would require piling the minutes on Gio when he returns and feeling pressured to bring him back early, increasing the risk of re-injury), and taking a low-percentage swing for the fences with a UFA rental forward who likely would be a minimal upgrade on Mangiapane, this was likely the most logical strategy.

Many here will complain that they got nothing for an injured Hamonic, but with him still weeks away from returning, getting anything for him was a pipe dream. Brodie may have returned a late first round pick, but that would be throwing away the chance to win a round or two in the wide open Pacific Division this year. And winning in the playoffs counts for something if you're building a team to win the Cup in the near future. The Flames shored up the glaring weakness that the team has had in the past two weeks (and no, it's not scoring) by replacing two D who are not currently NHL-calibre with two who are, and who fit specific needs (one large, punishing, stay-at-home D, and one puck-moving D with a wicked shot who could actually give the anemic PP a shot in the arm).

So, no blockbuster deal, but that wasn't in the cards anyway at the TDL, with almost every team right up against the cap. Moves were dictated and limited by injuries that happened at a critical time. I'd call the moves measured and carefully thought out to give the team a chance this season without crippling it in the future.

Finally, I don't get all the fuss about "losing assets for nothing". That mattered when most teams didn't spend to the cap, but with almost every single team right up against it now, cap space has become one of the most valuable assets. So yes, they may lose Hamonic, but they will gain 3.86M in cap space. At this point in his career, and particularly after an obviously significant injury, I know which I would prefer to have going forward. And if Brodie is also gone, that's another 4.65M. There also appears to be just enough cap space available this year to pay all bonuses rather than deferring them to next year, so that's more cap space for next year. Treliving can use his newly-found cap space to sign a top six forward in the off-season. He won't need to add to the top four D next year anyway, as Gio, Andersson, Hanifin and Valimaki should do nicely, and one of Yelesin or Kylington (or maybe even both) will likely be ready to graduate to the main club full-time next year.

Added bonus: there's no rush to bring Valimaki back now, so he can continue his rehab until the end of the season and won't require protection in the expansion draft, which will be huge for the Flames, as they can protect Hanifin, Andersson, and Kylington. If they lose Yelesin in the expansion draft, it's a relatively minor loss.

I was not a fan of these trades at first, but after a more careful consideration of the Flames' current situation and future needs, as well as what was available and at what price, I would rate today as 7.5/10.

Last edited by Macindoc; 02-24-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 11:01 PM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they would have gotten a 4th for am injured Hamonic who may not even play this year. I also think they can maybe get a 4th for his rights after the season, if there’s enough teams who suffer in the POs because of depth or a lack of a stay at home guy.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #32
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

the injuries on defense forced their hand to some extent, so getting a couple of capable defenders was something that had to be done regardless of anything else. Kept their 1st and 2nd round picks in a draft that is very deep from the reports.

considering they are in a WC spot currently, I don't know how they could have traded Brodie... people are pissed they didn't do anything; i could only imagine the reaction if they traded Brodie while fighting for a playoff spot.

Trocheck is the one trade i am disappointed they were able to land (not sure if they even tried either), as that is a hockey trade.

As for Brodie and Hamonic, I am pretty sure they can still be traded in the window before July 1... whether the return will be a much as a TDL day is probably unlikely? I doubt that they will walk for nothing however. Calgary will know if they will be able to re-sign them before July 1st, which allows a window, albeit short, to move them...

at least that's my understanding
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:11 PM   #33
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I woukd have much rather shaken up the forward group a bit but there’s not much you can do for a third and a fourth. Namestnikov would have been ok, but it’s just another left shooting average sized left winger.

This group should be able to play well enough to make the playoffs, so we’ll see if it helps at all. Announce a Brodie extension next week and I’d actually end up happy, even though I wanted to sell.

Would have liked to see some late picks acquired, some 6ths or 7ths. They are pretty much worthless but it at least lets you flesh out the prospect system a little more.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:22 PM   #34
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think they would have gotten a 4th for am injured Hamonic who may not even play this year. I also think they can maybe get a 4th for his rights after the season, if there’s enough teams who suffer in the POs because of depth or a lack of a stay at home guy.
The only way you get a 4th for an obviously seriously injured Hamonic (who already has too many miles on him for his age) at the TDL is if it's conditional on him playing at least 10 regular season games, which he won't. If he returns for the playoffs, he's honestly worth more to the Flames at that point than anything they could have traded him for.

Last edited by Macindoc; 02-24-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 11:25 PM   #35
danny darko
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Just watch what “magic” happens with those two teams.
Sure, but whether or not they actually have any post season success this year isn't my point.

I'm just saying that at least those fans are feeling excited and optimistic about their team. Clearly their GM is as well. Not exactly the "overall tune" amongst our fan base at the moment.
danny darko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danny darko For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 12:06 AM   #36
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

50/50 shot at making the playoffs and then possibly less than a 50/50 of getting out of the first round. Treliving did just enough to tide us over on D to keep us at the 50/50 shot of getting in. Veteran big strong defensive defenceman and a veteran offensive PP position defenceman.

Most of the forward group needs a retool anyway so no point in giving up picks for bottom six depth when we have enough. Once you’ve asked “If this team needs Namestnikov to win...” ...

There wasn’t a top six with term for less than a 1st + or equivalent prospect + available to add today.

Get in. Play some games. See how long you can last against St. Louis, Vegas or Edmonton. Get some more playoff experience. See what you get out of Gaudreau and Monahan this run. Make decisions on Brodie, Hamonic, Rieder, Talbot, Forbort, and Gustafsson if they’re negotiating to stay.

Make some big adds and/or ship out some of the core (hint hint Gaudreau or Monahan) in the summer.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #37
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but whether or not they actually have any post season success this year isn't my point.

I'm just saying that at least those fans are feeling excited and optimistic about their team. Clearly their GM is as well. Not exactly the "overall tune" amongst our fan base at the moment.
i'd have thought that was the only point to be honest.

Trades aren't made to placate fans; its about whether you have a legitimate chance to advance in the playoffs.

Last year, with a team that won the Western Conference should have been the year to make a splash (arguably, outside the attempt to land Stone, Treliving thought the team "was good enough" or didn't want to disrupt the chemistry in the room). This year? The team seems to be marginal at best...

Treliving and the management team, based on the moves, do not believe this team is 'close enough' to sacrifice the future for a roll of the dice.

Honestly, its a jekyll and hyde team; losing to the Ottawas, MTLs, Detroits and SJs of the world when they aren't sitting pretty in the standings demonstrates to me that this team isn't a great team... a single player wasn't going to change that... wrt to all the players that moved, who would have put this team over the edge to win a playoff spot? Trochek is the only guy I wish they'd have tried harder to land... I don't think anyone else that moved today that would have made a substantial difference to put this group 'over the top'.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:12 AM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
The only way you get a 4th for an obviously seriously injured Hamonic (who already has too many miles on him for his age) at the TDL is if it's conditional on him playing at least 10 regular season games, which he won't. If he returns for the playoffs, he's honestly worth more to the Flames at that point than anything they could have traded him for.
Yeah, maybe right. My point is that I don’t think they lost his present value by not moving him now as opposed to when he’s healthy after the season.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:13 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Let’s see how optimistic they are on draft day.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:03 AM   #40
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Dunno. Depends. I’ll tell you in a couple of months
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote