Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #221
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty meh day but at least they didn't do anything desperate. I figure Treliving has added a couple pieces on the back end so there are no excuses to not get into the playoffs. Give this team one last shot and if they flop again then I expect major changes in the summer. I'm fine with how things played out. Would have liked to see us sell high on a guy like Brodie after trading for two dmen but I get the optics of it and Treliving wants to give this group one last shot. Hopefully the team can find it in themselves to play their best hockey of the year when it matters most.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #222
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to see BT not send out any 1st or 2nd rounders. This team is not good enough to justify adding a significant piece and not bad enough to sell off expiring UFAs. If BT had shipped off Brodie and/or Hamonic, that's basically telling the team they're giving up on the season, it's a great way to build a culture of losing and mediocrity.

The small depth adds for virtually no cost are never a bad thing. Unless the Flames make the playoffs and go on a run, I expect significant trades this summer. I don't expect this core to be together at the start of next year and am expecting Gaudreau and more to be moved out.
atb is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #223
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I can make that argument:

Frobert provides a much needed upgrade to the bottom pairing, and Gustafsson significantly improves a struggling powerplay, and a blue line that has not been contributing nearly enough offence.

It's not sexy, but it makes sense.
Which is the problem exactly. There's "nothing wrong" with today's deals, but they still don't address the problems upfront that have been plaguing the team since late last year.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #224
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Tre did any of the trades today where teams gave up significant assets for complementary players I would have been upset because (1) it's expensive prices today and (2) it wouldn't have met the team's needs

The flames have really good complimentary players. They have a solid core. They are missing one star player up front. That player wasnt traded today. So why waste the picks and prospects on a player that does meet the criteria.

I'm happy. Because Tre did the right thing given the context of the deadline. The flames need a player that elevates its first line to elite status and the second line to a first line.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #225
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I actually really like these moves. PP gets help, we get a solid, hard hitting shot blocker and lose nothing from the roster since Davidson was minors bound anyway. I think the Flames are a tougher team to play against today than yesterday.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #226
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Which is the problem exactly. There's "nothing wrong" with today's deals, but they still don't address the problems upfront that have been plaguing the team since late last year.
I agree but I don't think the trade deadline is the best day to address those problems. If we're still having the same discussion going into training camp, I'll definitely be pissed. Adding a good forward w/ term in February is pretty hard, prices are never higher
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #227
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I think the problem plaguing the team up front is their horrific breakouts and complete lack of transitional attack. When your forwards are standing still at center ice while the D passes it back and forth, your forwards are not going to generate a lot of offense.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #228
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't like bleeding picks for depth players, so at first glance I don't particularly like today, but let's see how the fit in.

Not trading Brodie is what I was hoping to see - with the caveat that the Flames re-sign him. Losing Brodie for nothing when the Flames haven't shown at any point in the season thus far that they have it in them to make a long play-off run really hurts in the long-run. Hopefully they get him inked, or today will be a failure. I didn't expect Treliving to sell him for picks, but rather a hockey trade. Really hope he gets him re-signed.

Too bad Hamonic is injured, though I don't think Treliving was going to trade him if he was healthy.

Not a terrible day, not a great day.

I didn't mind the Fatenberg acquisition last year too much - boring but good depth move for the playoffs. What I really hated about it was that it took Kylington's and/or Valimaki's ice-time away, and he didn't look better at all. They lost some playoff experience and subsequent little development exposure. Same thing will happen this year, and I thought Kylington and Yelesin were doing 'fine' out there for the most part in the last few games. Unless there are further injuries, and the expected return of Giordano and Hamonic, neither one of these players will be getting ice-time, which is so critical for their development. It is a different story if the Flames were all-in this year and looking poised to make a long run, but that's not the case, so I think they kind of shoot themselves in the foot somewhat by slowly bleeding picks on depth guys, while also removing critical development opportunities from young defencemen that look like they might take some steps.

Well, let's see how the team responds. Surprised they removed Davidson for nothing - I thought he was a fairly good depth defencemen. I didn't expect he would return any pick at all, but having him around for depth was worth keeping him. I understand it was a doing him a solid, but I thought he looked like a good depth option who played physical and fairly competent.

What I don't have much trust in right now is the coaching, and I don't see Gustafasson improving over his numbers in Chicago much (slow transition game which I think had the biggest impact on defensive scoring - so I don't see what bringing in Gustafsson will do 5on5, but hopefully he can be a better option than Hanifin on PP2).

Forbort will hopefully provide a bit better defensive zone play, which the Flames have become atrocious in.

I think the major problem with the team is not the personnel, but rather the coaching/systems employed, so adding minor pieces isn't going to move the needle at all, and thus my feeling of 'bleeding picks' for minor pieces while taking away development opportunities for the younger defencemen on the team isn't the best move to make.

However, if they can find some consistency in their game, transition faster, and be more competent in their zone, I do think this team can compete with anyone in the west. Glad we weren't buyers.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #229
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Character guy? How could you not love that face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #230
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me in the group that wanted more. I am also not happy that we are going into the summer with Brodie and Hamonic either leaving for nothing, or being overpaid to stay (I have my doubts either signs team friendly deals).
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #231
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think the problem plaguing the team up front is their horrific breakouts and complete lack of transitional attack. When your forwards are standing still at center ice while the D passes it back and forth, your forwards are not going to generate a lot of offense.
This exactly
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #232
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank goodness Tre didnt give a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Pageau, or 1st for Goodrow (lol #### you tampa, idiots).

Disappointed this organization still bleeds picks and doesn't ever seem to be able to get on the right side of good asset management. They could have turned a 2008 4th round pick into a decade of a solid home grown defenseman and then flipped him after 12 years for a 1st round pick ++.

But nope, Kadri ####ed that up last summer, and then Tre held on too long during the season, then injuries hit, and now we'll watch him walk away for sweet #### all. And thats just one example of many.

Can just never get ahead of it, this org. No wonder theyre always an also ran.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #233
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Weird deals to me. not as weird as Simmonds to Buffalo, but still weird. Both Forbort and Gustafsson are 20+ minute guys on their old teams. Both bad teams, but still. One looks like an inexpensive Hamonic, and one looks like an inexpensive Brodie. Perhaps more options for negotiating in the summer, but I suspect something didn't go through. Very crowded blue line now though.

Yelesin back to the AHL is easy. Stone back to the press box. Okay. I guess Kylington upstairs once Giordano returns. Hamonic out longer? Forbort to the press box when he returns? Crazy internal competition to not be sitting?
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #234
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Thank goodness Tre didnt give a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Pageau, or 1st for Goodrow (lol #### you tampa, idiots).

Disappointed this organization still bleeds picks and doesn't ever seem to be able to get on the right side of good asset management. They could have turned a 2008 4th round pick into a decade of a solid home grown defenseman and then flipped him after 12 years for a 1st round pick ++.

But nope, Kadri ####ed that up last summer, and then Tre held on too long during the season, then injuries hit, and now we'll watch him walk away for sweet #### all. And thats just one example of many.

Can just never get ahead of it, this org. No wonder theyre always an also ran.

It was trending like a bummer day then 2 quick deals for Dmen have me hopes there was a Brodie for forward trade in the works.ahbe give the Leafs the Brodie/Janko package for Kapanen? Seems like it makes sense for both sides. Even something like Brodie for Granlund in Nashville.

Hopes were raised now I am feeling underwhelmed by the lack of moves. Overall I like the Chicago trade but I wanted more.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #235
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Forbert - Gustaffson
Kylington - Stone

I'm guessing Hamonic is out for at least 5 weeks the way this has shaken out
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #236
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

some details on conditions:
https://lakingsinsider.com/2020/02/2...tional-fourth/
Quote:
“Conditions are going to be based off of playoff success and also possible re-signing,” said Rob Blake, who confirmed the conditions were similar to last year’s Oscar Fantenberg trade.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #237
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Of note, the Flames have already surpassed their trade total from all of 2019 with three deals today

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #238
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

News Update

It’s also similar in that he’ll end the season in the press box
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #239
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1231678816789180417
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #240
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

And this on the coach then? Honest question.