Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #341
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think you've pretty much nailed it.

I think when Giordano went down, the Flames were heavily searching for a defensive addition.

I think Giordano's injury is worse than they are saying because they are being coy with the trade market on how badly they are looking for a defender and don't want to betray their position.

I think Hamonic getting hurt right now probably results in him signing a better contract with the Flames than he otherwise would have. If he's injured through the deadline instead of being a tradeable asset, the pressure will be on to both

1) Not lose him for nothing come free agency
2) utilize him down the stretch for the playoff push.

#2 probably means him playing injured, and I don't think he's willing to sacrifice UFA money by risking further injury, so the Flames will have to pony up up on a deal to get him to suit up in the final games of the season.

That’s some Edmonton level injury management right there
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #342
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was wondering where the Hamonic thread was. I should have known to look in the Frolik trade thread earlier.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 02:40 AM   #343
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think you've pretty much nailed it.

I think when Giordano went down, the Flames were heavily searching for a defensive addition.

I think Giordano's injury is worse than they are saying because they are being coy with the trade market on how badly they are looking for a defender and don't want to betray their position.

I think Hamonic getting hurt right now probably results in him signing a better contract with the Flames than he otherwise would have. If he's injured through the deadline instead of being a tradeable asset, the pressure will be on to both

1) Not lose him for nothing come free agency
2) utilize him down the stretch for the playoff push.

#2 probably means him playing injured, and I don't think he's willing to sacrifice UFA money by risking further injury, so the Flames will have to pony up up on a deal to get him to suit up in the final games of the season.
Clearly you haven't been watching Hamonic. If anyone keeps him out of the lineup due to injury, it will be the team, not Hamonic. And the team will play him if he's fit to play.

Both Brodie and Hamonic are likely to try free agency, unless the Flames make an offer that they feel is close to the best they will get as UFAs. The Flames will likely offer Brodie more money and term than Hamonic, and the question is whether either offer will be enough (if not, then walking away is acceptable, and certainly better than signing a bad UFA contract). But regarding the complaints that the Flames have blown an opportunity to trade them like they did Glencross, neither is as easy to replace as a middle 6 winger during the stretch and playoffs, so there was probably never a plan to trade either one of them if the Flames were in the race.

One very interesting scenario would be if Gio was unable to return until the playoffs. The available LTIR plus the cap space freed up by trading Frolik would allow them to take on just about any salary at the trade deadline, providing that it was an expiring contract. Maybe they could be creative and take on a bad expiring contract as a sweetener to get a coveted asset. Or just get an overpriced right shot top 6 forward on an expiring contract. Or maybe trade Janko with 50% retained for a more expensive right shot forward.

Last edited by Macindoc; 02-11-2020 at 02:45 AM.
Macindoc is online now   Reply With Quote