Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2022, 05:15 PM   #1021
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Skip the word-salad and go for a burger and a salad. Cross posting since some don’t venture into the Food & Ent section and we should promote and support one of our CP members. https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=190629
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 10:39 AM   #1022
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Just want to point out that Matthews Southwest is the same developer as The Bow… the same developer that welched on their commitment to rebuild the south block and has left the city with a barren plaza, instead of the promised, restored York hotel.
Restoring the hotel is on their to-do list. Yessiree.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:05 PM   #1023
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Restoring the hotel is on their to-do list. Yessiree.
You can always count on a developer to be transparent and always fully honour their commitments.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:09 PM   #1024
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Just want to point out that Matthews Southwest is the same developer as The Bow… the same developer that welched on their commitment to rebuild the south block and has left the city with a barren plaza, instead of the promised, restored York hotel.
They're a development manager - they do as directed by their client. In the case of the Bow, that was H&R REIT. It's not as if Matthews Southwest was making that decision.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #1025
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
They're a development manager - they do as directed by their client. In the case of the Bow, that was H&R REIT. It's not as if Matthews Southwest was making that decision.
I'll hold that grudge against all 3. Encana, Matthews, and H&R REIT.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 05:49 PM   #1026
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A company can always demand accountability from their clients. Like PCL does.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:34 AM   #1027
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Encana or Cenovus or whatever the hell they were called back then were the original owners. They sold the building a few years later.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:47 AM   #1028
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

EnCana sold the Bow before there was even a single story above ground.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 12:31 PM   #1029
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Goddamnit, just learned this morning that MacEwan Meats on Elbow is no more. That was my go to for rashers, pudding and sausages. Looks like I'll be making the longer drive now to either the British Pantry in the NW or the British Banger Co in Okotoks for my fix.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 01:09 PM   #1030
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of meat, anyone know a good place to get andouille sausage? Would have to be gluten free, but I can check on any leads. Thanks!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:20 PM   #1031
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stupid me. H&R REIT sold last year, which is what I was thinking of lol.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:35 PM   #1032
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Speaking of meat, anyone know a good place to get andouille sausage? Would have to be gluten free, but I can check on any leads. Thanks!
Ryan’s Meats, also my favourite place for ribs in the city if you’re into smoking as well.

https://www.ryansmeats.com/
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:36 PM   #1033
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice, thanks. Not too far off, either.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #1034
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://northrange.ca/ does too. They're excellent.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 08:28 PM   #1035
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Goddamnit, just learned this morning that MacEwan Meats on Elbow is no more. That was my go to for rashers, pudding and sausages. Looks like I'll be making the longer drive now to either the British Pantry in the NW or the British Banger Co in Okotoks for my fix.
I actually used to live and work right by them and they were clients of an Accounting company I used to work for.

I went to many a Robby Burns Day dinner where they had provided a lot of the food, specifically the Haggis.

The original family had sold the business to an Asian family and they were the ones running it last I remember, but that was around a decade ago.

It is unfortunate that they're gone, they were awesome people who made an unparalleled product.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #1036
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The original family had sold the business to an Asian family and they were the ones running it last I remember, but that was around a decade ago.
Yep I think I remember Asian people running it but I also think they sold it again. I seem to recall a conversation I had with a butcher there who mentioned new ownership. This would've been 3-4 years ago. It's a shame it's gone. I know it's not everyone's idea of good food but it can be hard to find traditional fare in the city.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:59 AM   #1037
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've never had the pleasure of trying MacEwan's Meats as I grew up in the North but it just sounds hilarious to me imagining an Asian family being masters of Haggis.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #1038
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Lol tbh I think they just ran the place but left the regular butchers to their job.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #1039
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I actually used to live and work right by them and they were clients of an Accounting company I used to work for.

I went to many a Robby Burns Day dinner where they had provided a lot of the food, specifically the Haggis.

It is unfortunate that they're gone, they were awesome people who made an unparalleled product.
I think they sold again, and the latest owners are the ones that closed it down. Story in the strip mall is their employees wanted to take it over but the owners decided to just close it instead for some reason. It could still be re-opened by the former employees
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:44 PM   #1040
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've never had the pleasure of trying MacEwan's Meats as I grew up in the North but it just sounds hilarious to me imagining an Asian family being masters of Haggis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Lol tbh I think they just ran the place but left the regular butchers to their job.
Oh no, I recall the Wife being very involved. It was actually a bit of a hilarious blend of active owners (Asians) who were very keen to learn and respect Scottish butchery.

They were quirky but overall very nice people, but again that was eons ago. Another lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I think they sold again, and the latest owners are the ones that closed it down. Story in the strip mall is their employees wanted to take it over but the owners decided to just close it instead for some reason. It could still be re-opened by the former employees
The staff there were some of the craziest Scots I've ever seen.

So growing up one of my neighbours was this psychotic Scottish Butcher, you should have seen this guy's hands...they were just gnarled as hell, but the 'Scottish Butchery Industry' is pretty tightly knit in Calgary so he'd have his buddies over during the summers....much scotch was had but I met a lot of unique people.

After a few drams though they get right into 'Old Country Scottish' jargon and all hope of understanding a goddamned word they were saying was irretrievably lost.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote