Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #261
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, how thin-skinned is Terry Jones?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1090050937668788224
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #262
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
https://www.stampeders.com/2019/01/2...come-sherritt/

Quote:
“As a player, I’m glad he’s not in the league anymore. It was always hell playing against him.

“I’m glad he’s into coaching because he’s passionate about it.

“And I’m glad he’s on our side now.”
The way Bo is talking sounds like he's still a Stampeder. Fingers crossed that was a subtle hint of him coming back home.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #263
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man, how thin-skinned is Terry Jones?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1090050937668788224
Honestly, Edmonton is just a jumbo sized Regina. Their sports teams are their only conduit to ever be relevant in a national and/or North American context. When that conversation becomes negative because their teams suck and are poorly run, then crap like this comes out and they grasp at ridiculous straws (We sold a few hundred more license plates than the Flames!).

Last edited by Cowboy89; 01-29-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #264
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really not sure what Bo was hoping for, or was realistic, but doesn't sound like a guaranteed contract offer is in his hands.

Did he ever give a timeline for making a decision?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #265
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Honestly, Edmonton is just a jumbo sized Regina. Their sports teams are their only conduit to ever be relevant in a national and/or North American context. When that conversation becomes negative because their teams suck and are poorly run, then crap like this comes out and they grasp at ridiculous straws (We sold a few hundred more license plates than the Flames!).
don't forget they are also relevant because of "the mall". something to hang your hat on for sure.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #266
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I'm really not sure what Bo was hoping for, or was realistic, but doesn't sound like a guaranteed contract offer is in his hands.

Did he ever give a timeline for making a decision?
DD/Huff said earlier that they need a decision from Bo by February 12th (the start of CFL free agency).
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #267
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
DD/Huff said earlier that they need a decision from Bo by February 12th (the start of CFL free agency).
Yep. I imagine one way or another we should find out in the next week or so. I assume he's received a few offers and has been spending a lot of time determining which is the better NFL situation and if that situation that likely carries a high probability of him carrying a clip board is better than competing for the Grey Cup. The fact it's taken this long leads me to believe he's having a difficult time on this.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #268
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

nm
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #269
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
https://www.stampeders.com/2019/01/2...come-sherritt/

The way Bo is talking sounds like he's still a Stampeder. Fingers crossed that was a subtle hint of him coming back home.

Oh please, please, please, PLEASE, let this be true.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #270
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
oh please, please, please, please, let this be true.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1090380332321300481

https://twitter.com/user/status/1090380414160494592
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #271
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d be shocked if Bo doesn’t give the NFL a shot. Think it’s just a matter of getting the best opportunity to play — while I’d love to see him back I’d almost be disappointed if he didn’t try to land at least a backup spot somewhere.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #272
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I’d be shocked if Bo doesn’t give the NFL a shot. Think it’s just a matter of getting the best opportunity to play — while I’d love to see him back I’d almost be disappointed if he didn’t try to land at least a backup spot somewhere.
He is trying, isn’t he? It may be no team is offering him a guaranteed contract for a backup job. That’s my guess. He might have some opportunities to go to camp and win a battle.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #273
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Nevermind that the Esks are right up there with the Oilers now for terrible PR and a gong show of drama and backstabbing within the organization. But Jones remembering the glory days of Hugh Campbell intimidating the rest of the league is hard for Terry to let go of.

The most perplexed person out of this may be Suitor. One of his consistent darlings that he would never stop taking about in-game in Sherritt, is now with the team that he really can’t stand but has to call their games being the best team in the league this last decade +.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #274
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps are bringing back national linebacker Cory Greenwood - A versatile guy who plays both on defence and special teams.

“I’m happy we got this deal done ahead of free agency,” said Greenwood. “Alex Singleton and Jameer Thurman left some big shoes to fill and I wish them the best down south. With that said, I’m excited to return to Calgary and compete for a starting spot. In my few months I was with the team last season, I quickly realized how great the fans were and how much the city of Calgary had to offer.

“I’m looking forward to working with Coach Monson and his staff. I’m familiar with his schemes and like how guys excel within his system. Hopefully we can retain the core group of guys from last year and go back to back by winning the Grey Cup on home turf.”

https://twitter.com/user/status/1090308297796681728
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #275
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He is trying, isn’t he? It may be no team is offering him a guaranteed contract for a backup job. That’s my guess. He might have some opportunities to go to camp and win a battle.
There is one guarenteed contract in the entire NFL that i am aware of for QB's and thats in Minnesota.

It will all come down to signing bonus money for Bo AND opportunity to actually compete for a real spot on the club.

My guess is that he is weighing playing time in Calgary while making less than he could get bonus money from NFL but possibly being out of the game/3rd string after training camp.

I think he comes back to Calgary. He just strikes me as a guy that has no interest in watching games vs playing and making a bit less. Though, as always, its a family decision and im sure his wife has a lot to say about things as well.

We will know one way or the other by this time next week im guessing.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #276
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Nevermind that the Esks are right up there with the Oilers now for terrible PR and a gong show of drama and backstabbing within the organization. But Jones remembering the glory days of Hugh Campbell intimidating the rest of the league is hard for Terry to let go of.
It's not just Terry Jones. It's the whole city. That era of success for both the Eskimos and the Oilers has given the fan base a swagger of arrogance that honestly prevents them from accurately understanding their place in the sporting world today. The proper reaction from Edmonton fans is to be angry at the current poor performance by their teams and utter incompetence of their front offices. Instead they dose themselves with memories (or for anyone younger than 40, video, audio, or manuscript memories), and actually defend their teams when the Toronto-centric media turns on them or when called out by other fans. It's honestly a negative feedback loop that will prevent them from even being mediocre because poor current performance is excused and even defended. Until Edmontonians recognize that their teams have as strong a brand today as Kodak or Blockbuster does, they will continue to watch awful sporting performances.

Since 1990 the Calgary Stampeders have 6 Grey Cups, 12 Grey Cup Appearances, and placed 1st in the division in the regular season 14 times. The Eskimos have won 4 cups, appeared in a Grey Cup 6 times and finished 1st in the division in the regular season 6 times. An entire generation of Eskimos fan only has primary experiences of generally being s***canned by the Stamps on the regular, yet somehow thanks to dinosaurs like Terry Jones reminding everyone of a bygone era of dominance you keep hearing crap like "the Eskimo way" and "Once an Eskimo, always an Eskimo" as if those credos should be held up as anything more than signalling ineptitude.

You know sometimes while on the job or elsewhere when you ask someone why they do things a certain way without seeing a good rationale why and they respond, "well we've always done it this way," That's Edmonton sports to a T. Edmonton: "Because we've always done it this way"!

Last edited by Cowboy89; 01-30-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #277
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Huff has any interest in free agent national RB Mercer Timmis, he had a great career with the Dinos and had a couple of strong showings with the Ti-Cats last season. I see him as a bigger, taller and faster version of Rob Cote.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #278
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There is one guarenteed contract in the entire NFL that i am aware of for QB's and thats in Minnesota.

It will all come down to signing bonus money for Bo AND opportunity to actually compete for a real spot on the club.

My guess is that he is weighing playing time in Calgary while making less than he could get bonus money from NFL but possibly being out of the game/3rd string after training camp.

I think he comes back to Calgary. He just strikes me as a guy that has no interest in watching games vs playing and making a bit less. Though, as always, its a family decision and im sure his wife has a lot to say about things as well.

Signing bonus for 3rd QB on the training camp depth chart can’t be that much can it?

If teams aren’t competing for Bo, I don’t believe there’s much money there. As an example, Texans signed journeymen Brandon Weeden and Joe Webb to be their #2 and 3 last year. Weeden signed to $90k signing bonus and $790k base with $140k guaranteed. Webb signed to $915k base with no bonus or guarantees.

I’m sure he can get a $750k deal with no guarantees. Maybe it’s worth giving it a shot for a year. If he makes the team he’s ahead financially. And he’s in the NFL.

If he’s hoping for signing bonuses and guaranteed money I bet he ends up back here.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #279
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

I think also with another kid on the way. Does Bo want to bounce around the NFL or have stability back in Calgary knowing he has a roster spot up here.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #280
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bo gives it a shot, assuming he gets guaranteed $. He's likely got one shot at it, and even Dickenson did it for a few years holding a clip board. As t99 says though, the teams he tried out for a month ago have coaching changes, and in the NFL is a whole bunch of luck and circumstance to get noticed and then to stick in any regard, so any changes to the situation he thought were in those cities is out the window, for any try out players.

But yes, the dream is to get a spot as a backup and make a similar wage or a bit less as a CFL starter. Hope for the perfect set of circumstances (ie an injury or two) to be able to get into some games, and perform well enough on the big stage for other teams to see that you can play NFL football, and then your next gig in a city across the country may be easier to land. From there, as mentioned, you're the next Joe Webb at worst, getting paid more than a CFL wage as a legit backup somewhere else, and your then in the unofficial QB club that teams keep coming back to.

A longer shot has you moving into a starter role and really hit the jackpot, but my guess is Bo would be thrilled to be a backup in the NFL as he literally has nothing left to accomplish here. If he can have stability in his pay cheque and always be a chance twisted knee away from having a chance at playing in a NFL game and maybe that's his break getting more opportunities out of that. And, that is worth the risk to see through then going back here to do what he's done and win a couple Grey Cups and MOP's and finish out his playing career in playing in games like in front of 13500 on a cold windy October day in Montreal.

Last edited by browna; 01-30-2019 at 10:03 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote