Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #81
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back during the Young Guns years, you could bring a book or some homework to the Saddledome and not be bothered.

The Library Era suuuuucked.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #82
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this clip from an Isles/Penguins game in the 2013 playoffs. Cant wait to see Hamonic in the Flames silks - he is one of the keys to 100 pts.

Malkin is doing this wimpy face-rub with his glove on Hamonic - then Hamonic says "enough of this" and throws a punch. before the Penguins all pile on him.
Btw, Iginla was the instigator of it all.

Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #83
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Oh dear, those comments. Like a moth to the flame, SN has somehow managed to convince the dumbest people on the internet to congregate in one place.

It wasn't just what was being said, but how it was said. It's like there's 100 people with the English language skills of Cletus from the Simpsons all posting on the same comments section.

Wait a minute. Concentration of stupid people in one place, english skills of Cletus, posting inane comments...I'm describing Edmonton aren't I?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #84
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Back during the Young Guns years, you could bring a book or some homework to the Saddledome and not be bothered.

Sandy McCarthy could wake you up while we had him. After he left "team toughness" was the phrase of the day. That didn't work well either.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #85
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post

I vaguely recall getting Flames tickets in a box of Coca-Cola for the upper levels and then being asked to sit in the lower bowl so it looked better on TV, but I was just a kid at the time so I might be mis-remembering.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #86
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I vaguely recall getting Flames tickets in a box of Coca-Cola for the upper levels and then being asked to sit in the lower bowl so it looked better on TV, but I was just a kid at the time so I might be mis-remembering.
I vaguely remember being moved down from the 2nd level as well with my old man a couple times.

He also had an impossible time giving clients tickets back in the day for the Flames, so we ended up going to a few games hah.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #87
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Icon28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I vaguely remember being moved down from the 2nd level as well with my old man a couple times.

He also had an impossible time giving clients tickets back in the day for the Flames, so we ended up going to a few games hah.
Wow, how times have changed
Old 08-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #88
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember back in those days it was kind of embarrassing to tell kids in school that you were a Flames fan. You definitely had to downplay it a bit.

Probably just mostly nostalgia at play, but I have some fond memories of that era though. Tickets were dirt cheap, nobody went to the games to be seen (unlike post 2004), and there was a lovable loser quality to that team and some if its characters...Tabaracci, Freddie Brathwaite, Joel Bouchard, Brian Sutter etc. Those teams sucked hard, but you could never call them lazy. I enjoyed those years much more than the few years prior to the rebuild, where they were just a lazy team hopelessly lost in the weeds.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #89
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Sandy McCarthy could wake you up while we had him. After he left "team toughness" was the phrase of the day. That didn't work well either.
Team toughness was solid in '04. Chris Simon, Oliwa, Iginla, Regehr, Clark, Warrener, etc. We were not to be messed with. We'll never see team toughness like that again because the game has changed.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 08-24-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #90
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm ok with team toughness: Ferland/Tkachuk/Bennett/Hamonic/Stone/Gio/Hathaway, hitters, face punchers and pests everywhere.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #91
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Team toughness was solid in '04. Chris Simon, Oliwa, Iginla, Regehr, Clark, Warrener, etc. We were not to be messed with. We'll never see team toughness like that again because the game has changed.
Not sure if that's completely accurate when you still have teams like Anaheim around today. Teams may not fight as much (and maybe thats what you meant), but I think in many ways Anaheim today is harder to play against than that Flames lineup.

Last edited by Table 5; 08-24-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #92
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Well that was 8 years later in the mean time Todd Simpson was our toughest guy.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #93
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Well that was 8 years later in the mean time Todd Simpson was our toughest guy.
Simpson. His claim to fame was being our captain(how the hell?) and kneeing Forsberg.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #94
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Not sure if that's completely accurate when you still have teams like Anaheim around today. Teams may not fight as much (and maybe thats what you meant), but I think in many ways Anaheim today is harder to play against than that Flames lineup.
Maybe not fight per se, though that was never far away, but this scrap was predicated on Sergei Zholtok hot dogging an empty netter. You don’t do that to the 2004 Flames under Darryl Sutter, at home. That willingness to not let someone push you around, or there would be immediate consequences with a number of willing combatants, gave the skilled guys enough extra space and time needed, never mind the confidence of a unified team.

Last edited by browna; 08-24-2017 at 06:55 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #95
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I remember back in those days it was kind of embarrassing to tell kids in school that you were a Flames fan. You definitely had to downplay it a bit.

Probably just mostly nostalgia at play, but I have some fond memories of that era though. Tickets were dirt cheap, nobody went to the games to be seen (unlike post 2004), and there was a lovable loser quality to that team and some if its characters...Tabaracci, Freddie Brathwaite, Joel Bouchard, Brian Sutter etc. Those teams sucked hard, but you could never call them lazy. I enjoyed those years much more than the few years prior to the rebuild, where they were just a lazy team hopelessly lost in the weeds.

I was slowly becoming a partial Leaf fan back then. The huge playoff battles between the Leafs/Sens/Habs with Bob Cole calling all the games was pretty awesome.

Shudder just thinking of the Dark Times and what further damage it could have done to me.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #96
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Maybe not fight per se, though that was never far away, but this scrap was predicated on Sergei Zholtok hot dogging an empty netter. You don’t do that to the 2004 Flames under Darryl Sutter, at home. That willingness to not let someone push you around, or there would be immediate consequences with a number of willing combatants, gave the skilled guys enough extra space and time needed, never mind the confidence of a unified team.

God I loved it when our team had balls. Might lose the game, but it was going to be close and the other team wa going to f-ing pay for it. Sutter was the real captain of that squad and it showed.

Different game now for sure.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #97
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
God I loved it when our team had balls. Might lose the game, but it was going to be close and the other team wa going to f-ing pay for it. Sutter was the real captain of that squad and it showed.

Thanks for the trip down the rabbit hole. Had to then watch the Berube-inspired Ducks brawl and both Canucks - Flames incidents.
Great way to drink an entire pot of coffee and spend a Saturday morning!
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #98
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post

That was literally the Flames of 2013/14. Does nobody remember how many tough guys we were employing back then?

McGrattan
Westgarth
O'Brien
Bouma
Jackman
Smid

It sorta led to this infamous moment

You guys have some short memories.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote