Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should start Wednesday
Elliott 128 31.37%
Johnson 108 26.47%
Gillies 172 42.16%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #221
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Kind of surprised at the amount of people saying gillies.

So let's say he starts......who's the back up?
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #222
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted Johnson. The anger has worn off.

Gilles/parsons - guys havr played 1 Or less nhl games, it's a joke to even consider putting them in an elimination game

Johnson - he hasn't played since getting injured. No point putting him in to see how the injury feels considering it's an elimination game.

Elliott - realized last game he hurt the team. If he keeps it real, that's 2 games he's been prone to softies. I think he's got a lot to prove and giving him the start provides him the opportunity of redemption. I am not an Elliott fan but think that fire may be what's needed to get an extremely strong goaltending performance out, at least for the next game.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #223
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Why are there so many people voting for Gillies?

Thinking he is the unknown and will miraclously win 4 straight playoff games with only a single NHL game experience? No way it is going to happen.

Why feed a baby sheep to the wolves? What happen if the Flames actually starts Gillies and he got lit up for like 3 goals in the first 5 shots? His confidence may be f'd forever.

Again for the Flames to win 4 straight including winning twice in Anaheim is 99.999% impossible. It might be easier to get Anaheim suspended by the league and forfeit the playoffs.

The Flames may win game 4 and that's pretty much it. Please don't prolong the agony.
No one is thinking this, it's simply a chance to give the kid some experience and see what happens.

Elliott has lost 5 times to the Ducks in the last 16 days, giving up 18 goals in the process. You know what is a 'no way it's gonna happen' situation? The idea that Elliott is going to suddenly turn it around.

This idea that it could ruin Gillies forever is absolute nonsense. I don't know what it is about Flames fans but everyone assumes doom and gloom with everything. News flash: sometimes players actually succeed when given a chance.

Young goalies get into games all the time. And yes, into playoff games too. Ken Dryden had played 6 whole games for the Canadiens before being made their starter for the playoffs. He ended up winning the Conn Smythe. (not saying Gillies is Ken Dryden, just saying young goalies get thrown in all the time).

Even if Gillies did #### the bed, so what? That happens to goalies too. They live to fight another day or they were never NHL caliber in the first place.

Let the kid play.

And imagine if he stands on his head and actually gives the team a spark!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #224
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parsons just got eliminated. Call him up?

Makes only slightly less sense than the folks voting for Gillies.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #225
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Parsons isn't an option. His NHL deal starts next season.

Nevermind that throwing a 19 year old into a NHL playoff elimination game with 0 pro shots and 0 pro minutes played is a bad idea.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #226
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't believe that many people want to start Elliott again....
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #227
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Can't believe that many people want to start Elliott again....
Flip a coin as far as I'm concerned but Johnson hasn't played for a while and I would have felt better starting him if he at least got a game in down the stretch. That and he has been pretty awful since his hot streak ended. As someone mentioned going glove side on him is almost an automatic goal. I still want the team to go back to Anaheim to take another run at breaking the Honda Center curse and Elliott may be able to atone for last night with a better effort. Johnson could be good or the game could be over in the first 20 minutes which to me isn't what I would call an enticing option.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #228
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is nothing to lose so might as well go with Gillies and give him a taste of playoff hockey. Elliott should never play for Calgary again and Johnson struggled down the stretch and might not be 100%.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #229
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unless Johnson has looked amazing in practice go with the devil you know. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
One isn't playing well and the other hasn't played lately and looked iffy in his last game.
The other option is to limit the Ducks to 3 shots and win the game 4-3 in OT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #230
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To those worried about shattering Gillies' confidence, ask yourself: are the Ducks really playing well enough right now to do that?

They're getting very few quality scoring chances and limited sustained pressure. Putting the rookie in (and I would make the official call as close to last minute as possible, to shield him from nerves etc etc) may even spark the Flames to be even more diligent in owning the play... or if nothing else motivate an effort that prevents an obvious turn around.

The Flames have played very well in this series. If Gillies put in a solid effort they're probably headed back for game 5. If not, oh well, it was 0-3 in the series anyways and there would be little shame in that (most of you are recognizing we need another goalie not on the roster for next year anyhow).
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #231
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Gulutzan is only concerned with one thing and that's winning the next game. I highly doubt he's even considered starting a total unknown like Gillies in such a big game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #232
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This idea that it could ruin Gillies forever is absolute nonsense. I don't know what it is about Flames fans but everyone assumes doom and gloom with everything. News flash: sometimes players actually succeed when given a chance.

Young goalies get into games all the time. And yes, into playoff games too. Ken Dryden had played 6 whole games for the Canadiens before being made their starter for the playoffs. He ended up winning the Conn Smythe. (not saying Gillies is Ken Dryden, just saying young goalies get thrown in all the time).
Okay, how many goalies with fewer than 10 NHL games under their belt have been brought into an NHL playoff elimination game in the last decade? Name them.

There's a reason teams don't do that. And there's a zero per cent chance the Flames do it, because the team is run by professional hockey people.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #233
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Go ahead and fire up the time machine.You could bring back Kipper,Vernon,Brodeur,Roy,Belfour,Bower, Broda or any great of the past at their best and in their prime,even go ahead and play all of them in the same game.The result for this series will be exactly the same,it's over tomorrow night.
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #234
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I chose Gillies in the poll. If it is between Elliott and Johnson I choose Elliott in hopes he has a bounce back game. If he fails the Flames have hopefully no illusions about offering a contract next year.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #235
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gillies 100 percent deserves it. At this point why not ! He is the only one of the 3 that might be the future.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #236
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Okay, how many goalies with fewer than 10 NHL games under their belt have been brought into an NHL playoff elimination game in the last decade? Name them.

There's a reason teams don't do that. And there's a zero per cent chance the Flames do it, because the team is run by professional hockey people.
lol

you managed to make the parameters tight enough that I doubt there were any chances for that to have happened in the last 10 years.

Young goaalies start games. Even in the playoffs. You know it as well as I do.

Also, the AHL isn't that different from the NHL. Sure , the game is faster and the shots are harder but the difference isn't that great. We're not talking about a child here - he's 23.

He isn't made of sugar. The sun would come up the next day, win or lose.

But let's all keep living in fear as Flames fans: "please Mr Treliving, don't put our pour kids in danger, they might skin their knee or something."
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #237
tko
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2macinnis2 View Post
To those worried about shattering Gillies' confidence, ask yourself: are the Ducks really playing well enough right now to do that?

They're getting very few quality scoring chances and limited sustained pressure. Putting the rookie in (and I would make the official call as close to last minute as possible, to shield him from nerves etc etc) may even spark the Flames to be even more diligent in owning the play... or if nothing else motivate an effort that prevents an obvious turn around.

The Flames have played very well in this series. If Gillies put in a solid effort they're probably headed back for game 5. If not, oh well, it was 0-3 in the series anyways and there would be little shame in that (most of you are recognizing we need another goalie not on the roster for next year anyhow).
100% agree
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #238
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Elliott.

Im sorry but throwing a kid into a dumpster fire is Oiler-like stupidity. The Flames are a dumpster fire. So why would you chance wrecking Gillies future in a game that simply doesnt matter?

Strangest sentiment from these boards...ever.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #239
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott starts. I would be shocked to see Chad Johnson.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:40 PM   #240
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I voted Gillies but after a day to collect my thoughts I think it's gotta be Elliott.

Johnson has not played much lately and is coming off an injury. Also, as ####ty as it's been, several goals have been tips and weird bounces. Elliott knows he let the team down, why not see what he can do when we are all in?

If there's anyone on the team that will be focused and ready to go it's Elliott.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote