Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2022, 11:09 PM   #4101
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Yup, there's more people wanting to travel than there are flights. I was in Europe last month and booked back in March. It wasn't cheap, but it was okay. Closer to the time, I considered adjusting my flights and there basically was nothing back from Europe (any of the main airports, any date in July) that wasn't at least business class.
I agree. I’m going to Europe next week. Prices are way up now from when I booked a few months ago.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:32 AM   #4102
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the initial stages of planning a family trip to the UK mid-Aug 2023.

Suggestions on the best time to buy tickets? Is there a window where they are cheaper?

I'm not to concerned which airport we fly into, as we are gonna be all over the map.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #4103
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the wife and i are going to cabo in early november. it has been quite a while since we were someplace tropical.

initial plans are to just try to enjoy some downtime; however, i am sure that will change after a day of laying about the pool
Old 10-11-2022, 11:19 AM   #4104
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I'm in the initial stages of planning a family trip to the UK mid-Aug 2023.

Suggestions on the best time to buy tickets? Is there a window where they are cheaper?

I'm not to concerned which airport we fly into, as we are gonna be all over the map.
WestJet would definitely be the one to keep an eye on . They now have nonstop flights from YYC to both London Gatwick (LGW) and London Heathrow (LHR). They are also about the only airline that has had meaningful price drops from YYC to Europe in the last few years.

On flights to Europe it's not entirely out of the ordinary for WestJet to drop their prices as far as 10 months ahead of time. In May 2022 they dropped prices to London on dates as far away as March of 2023. Typically though, it's more in the range of up to about 2 seasons ahead (6 months). So I wouldn't be overly afraid to watch prices until at least late winter.

What is unusual though is for *any* airline to offer a significant price drop on July and August flights to Europe. Anything can happen, but July/August price drops are a lot less likely than the surrounding months of May, June, September, or October. They know full well that that's when the kids are out of school, demand is sky high, and they can bump their prices up.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #4105
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does Calgary becoming a WestJet Global Hub actually mean?

https://www.calgaryeconomicdevelopme...onnecting-hub/
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #4106
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Literally explained in the first sentence, dude:
The WestJet Group is making Calgary its home base and exclusive global connecting hub with all its 787 Dreamliners flying through YYC Calgary International Airport
That's all it means: longer-range international flights w/ B787s will be through Calgary.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:52 PM   #4107
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Literally explained in the first sentence, dude:
The WestJet Group is making Calgary its home base and exclusive global connecting hub with all its 787 Dreamliners flying through YYC Calgary International Airport
That's all it means: longer-range international flights w/ B787s will be through Calgary.
Which is super interesting. I have to think that means they'll be flying to Asia from here? Unless all the Dreamliners flying through here means a bunch of Calgary-Toronto-London type stuff (in which case this isn't a real announcement imo) I can't see there being enough demand for Europe to keep them all busy, especially in the winter. I know they use them for sun destinations as well in the winter...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:44 AM   #4108
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Which is super interesting. I have to think that means they'll be flying to Asia from here? Unless all the Dreamliners flying through here means a bunch of Calgary-Toronto-London type stuff (in which case this isn't a real announcement imo) I can't see there being enough demand for Europe to keep them all busy, especially in the winter. I know they use them for sun destinations as well in the winter...
That's what I was getting at. Which routes, how often, will this also result in an increase in other connections (like Calgary-La Guardia) or more flights between other Canadian cities, etc.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #4109
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
That's what I was getting at. Which routes, how often, will this also result in an increase in other connections (like Calgary-La Guardia) or more flights between other Canadian cities, etc.
Exciting times for sure. Westjet just started code share with Korean Air - I'd love to see a westjet nonstop to Seoul on the 787 connecting to their Asian network. Hopefully this locks in their US flying (eg Portland) that we already have and maybe adds some more cities as well.

Although Calgary-La Guardia can't happen as Calgary is outside the distance limit for flights to that airport. There are a couple or historical exceptions but we won't be getting one.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:28 AM   #4110
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exciting times for sure. Westjet just started code share with Korean Air - I'd love to see a westjet nonstop to Seoul on the 787 connecting to their Asian network. Hopefully this locks in their US flying (eg Portland) that we already have and maybe adds some more cities as well.

Although Calgary-La Guardia can't happen as Calgary is outside the distance limit for flights to that airport. There are a couple or historical exceptions but we won't be getting one.
That doesn't sound right, the 787-9 can go 7,635nm, the Max 10 can go 3,300nm, and the distance is only 1,766nm.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:55 AM   #4111
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Bizaro86 wants to take the long way around Fuzz

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2022, 12:45 PM   #4112
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That doesn't sound right, the 787-9 can go 7,635nm, the Max 10 can go 3,300nm, and the distance is only 1,766nm.
Port Authority of New York (who runs the airport) limits flights to 1500nm to/from LaGuardia. Calgary falls outside that perimeter and therefore non stop flights are not allowed.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #4113
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Port Authority of New York (who runs the airport) limits flights to 1500nm to/from LaGuardia. Calgary falls outside that perimeter and therefore non stop flights are not allowed.
Oh, so it's a made up limitation then, not a technical one!
Old 10-13-2022, 12:53 PM   #4114
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, so it's a made up limitation then, not a technical one!
Correct, but I believe there are some exceptions allowed on weekends too (outside of the already approved distance exceptions for weekdays).

Also there is nothing better than getting an aerial tour of Manhattan as your pretty much circle around the island to land on runway 04.

Last edited by Bigtime; 10-13-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2022, 01:11 PM   #4115
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As covered, it's a NIMBY rule, not a technical one.

There have been a few powerful senators who have gotten exemptions added to these rules (DCA in Washington is similar) for their home town airlines, but realistically Westjet/Calgary isn't likely to have the political heft in the US to get that done.

And while the perimeter doesn't apply on Saturdays I can't see them adding a 1/week flight either.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:15 PM   #4116
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As covered, it's a NIMBY rule, not a technical one.

There have been a few powerful senators who have gotten exemptions added to these rules (DCA in Washington is similar) for their home town airlines, but realistically Westjet/Calgary isn't likely to have the political heft in the US to get that done.

And while the perimeter doesn't apply on Saturdays I can't see them adding a 1/week flight either.
Jason Kenney could have done it.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:34 PM   #4117
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did a whole run through of every destination I could find with a direct flight from Calgary to the Carribean trying to find somewhere where the hotels weren't priced higher than I would have usually expected and came up empty. Bit of a brutal time to try to book a trip right now.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:47 PM   #4118
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I did a whole run through of every destination I could find with a direct flight from Calgary to the Carribean trying to find somewhere where the hotels weren't priced higher than I would have usually expected and came up empty. Bit of a brutal time to try to book a trip right now.
People are dying to travel after being unable to do so for a long time and many are prepared to spend a lot more money than before, if necessary to do so.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:49 PM   #4119
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I've been going through the same exercise for Christmas and it is brutal. I finally decided to just cash in some Bonvoy points on the new Marriott hotel in Mazatlan. Everything seemed ridiculously priced. We are also going to Vancouver next weekend and I don't know if there some big event happening but the availability is really weak and the prices are sky high. Marriott Pinnacle Downtown is $3,500 per night while the JW is $5,500.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:22 PM   #4120
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've been going through the same exercise for Christmas and it is brutal. I finally decided to just cash in some Bonvoy points on the new Marriott hotel in Mazatlan. Everything seemed ridiculously priced. We are also going to Vancouver next weekend and I don't know if there some big event happening but the availability is really weak and the prices are sky high. Marriott Pinnacle Downtown is $3,500 per night while the JW is $5,500.
Wow. There's definitely something happened. Marriott Pinnacle is normally $350 ish and where I stay when I need a hotel in Vancouver.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote