Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #1361
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like the Rypien to Ted Cruz comparison. That’s accurate, Rourke would be different. I’m sure he will get a shot in the NFL.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #1362
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Mark Rypien is Calgarian as much as Ted Cruz is a Calgarian. haha

Glad I went to see Rourke live. He is not going to be in the CFL next year.

Can't believe the Stamps didn't go for the single point with that last punt. There was no way we were keeping Rourke from getting a field goal on that last drive.
Agree re the single point making the Lions have to get a touchdown to win.

In Canadian football, I wonder about the value of punting to avoid the single point and trying to keep the opponent deep in their end. It’s predicated on the idea that if you prevent them from getting a first down, they’ll punt the ball back to you and you get great field position. It works in American football because there’s no single point, but it seems to me that the tactic doesn’t work so well on the much bigger Canadian football field.

I suppose the coaches have stats to back up the decision to do this, but I get the feeling the strategy only works about 1/3 of the time, and single points can add up and make a difference in the game.That questiionable penalty call removed the field position advantage the short punt gave us. Last night’s game might have gone into overtime if they’d chosen to kick for the single.

BTW, I think Rypien’s family had a lot stronger Alberta ties than Cruz’s.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:13 AM   #1363
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rypiens are an Alberta family. I worked with Mark’s cousin in the day. All related to Rick and Mark.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-14-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #1364
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Rypiens are an Alberta family. I worked with Mark’s cousin in the day. All related to Rick and Mark.
The Crowsnest Pass is full of them. One of them is married to a nephew of mine.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #1365
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
The Crowsnest Pass is full of them. One of them is married to a nephew of mine.
You know Wes?
Old 08-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #1366
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Given the offensive line struggles Dave has moved the offense towards more high percentage quick throws. The funny thing is that Bo's completion percentage is still 2nd worst in the league amongst starting QB's despite being given easier throws to complete. The Bo to Jorden combination right now may be the worst in the league when you look at targets to completions (64/35) for a measly 9.6 yards per catch. Despite the low production Bo targets Jorden more than any other WR by a decent margin. It's absolutely asinine that this is being allowed to continue.
I agree EE and I would add that every time I see Bane take the field, he makes things happen. He was the leading receiver for the Stamps yesterday catching 5 balls for 64 yards including a TD and likely would have had a second TD if Bo and Bane would have connected in the 3rd quarter. In my opinion, we need to see more Bane going forward.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #1367
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know nothing about Mark Rypien's family but he did not grow up in Canada himself. I would not consider him a Canadian QB.

But reading about him did lead me to this funny nugget on his Wikipedia page.

"Born in Calgary, Alberta, Rypien moved to the United States in 1965 and was raised in Spokane, Washington. Despite his later renown as a supreme athlete it is notable that he was unable to defeat Robert Duprie as the Emerson Elementary School skipping champion."
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #1368
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You know Wes?
No, I don’t really know any of them personally. I did used to see Rick’s father I think golfing there all the time with his tricked out Canuck’s golf cart.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:45 PM   #1369
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I know nothing about Mark Rypien's family but he did not grow up in Canada himself. I would not consider him a Canadian QB.

But reading about him did lead me to this funny nugget on his Wikipedia page.

"Born in Calgary, Alberta, Rypien moved to the United States in 1965 and was raised in Spokane, Washington. Despite his later renown as a supreme athlete it is notable that he was unable to defeat Robert Duprie as the Emerson Elementary School skipping champion."
Haha — that’s great. Rypien was one of my favourite football players growing up (in part because of his birthplace) so I know way more about him than the average person probably should. Yes, he and his family moved to Spokane when he was young; he went on to play the likes of John Stockton and Ryne Sandberg in high school before going to Washington State. He went on to be the MVP of Super Bowl 26 with Redskins; after that there was a rumour that Bruce McNall and the Argos were going to sign him for big money but that obviously never happened.

I think Jesse Palmer was the first Canadian “trained” QB to play meaningful snaps in the NFL; he went to high school in Ottawa before going to play for Steve Spurrier’s offence in Florida (he enrolled in 1997, one year after Danny Wuerffel won the Heisman, and split time with Rex Grossman). Was later drafted by the Giants.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #1370
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I love BLM and what he's done with the franchise but can't throw deep and everyone knows that. You cannot win with 200 pass yards.
Bo was, yet again, the second best QB in the game. Has been for most of the games this season and the Stamps record is a testament to how good the D and special teams generally have been.

Bo needs to seriously consider hanging up the cleats. He was a great QB and it has been a pleasure to watch him throughout his career in Calgary, but he's done.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #1371
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Calgary's defense has been very good this year, and kept us in the games against the Bombers.

Calgary has a good oline and a great running game, but Bo struggles with downfield accuracy, but at the same time we're not seeing our receivers doing anything beyond being ordinary, and they aren't bailing out the QB.

Bo hasn't been great, he's at times been ok, but its more then that.

But yeah, his days as a starter are fading.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 11:16 AM   #1372
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

My fear is that he's been the face of the franchise for ten years and our team will let him attempt to be a starter for way too long out of respect.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #1373
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
My fear is that he's been the face of the franchise for ten years and our team will let him attempt to be a starter for way too long out of respect.
That's happening as we speak. Last season's performance (10 TD/13 INT) was a pretty good indicator that he was near the end. This season is confirming that he just can't make all the throws he used to.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 07:49 PM   #1374
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Calgary's defense has been very good this year, and kept us in the games against the Bombers.

Calgary has a good oline and a great running game, but Bo struggles with downfield accuracy, but at the same time we're not seeing our receivers doing anything beyond being ordinary, and they aren't bailing out the QB.

Bo hasn't been great, he's at times been ok, but its more then that.

But yeah, his days as a starter are fading.
It’s not just the deep throw anymore. He is frustratingly inconsistent. First play of the game against BC was a 4 yard toss to the running back floating out of the back field and he missed him by at least 5 yards. I’m Ben he hits the deep throw to the endzone with a near perfect pass.

And yeah, the receivers have also been crap with probably 10 drops a game. Play calling from Dave has also been meh. Can’t boil the ocean though and at least we appear to have a decent backup QB that has made plays in this league. Time to give him some actual reps.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:34 AM   #1375
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559592406890123265
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:54 AM   #1376
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sara Orlesky is leaving TSN.

@saraorlesky:
I’m excited to share some big career news!
Very much looking forward to working with the Jets, but it will also be bittersweet to say goodbye to TSN and,of course, the CFL. Happy that I will still get to work the sidelines for a bit with my final game being the Banjo Bowl!

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 12:27 PM   #1377
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

@saraorlesky:
Very much looking forward to working with the Jets, but it will also be bittersweet to say goodbye to TSN and,of course, the CFL. Happy that I will still get to work the sidelines for a bit with my final game being the Banjo Bowl!
Booo! She is great. back to the Score days!
Old 08-16-2022, 12:41 PM   #1378
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harris on the shelf for the Argos...

Toronto Argoanauts’ running back Andrew Harris will be out for the foreseeable future — and possibly the rest of the season — due to a torn pectoral muscle, according to TSN’s Dave Naylor.

@TorontoArgos head coach Ryan Dinwiddie says RB @andrewharris33 will be out 4-6 weeks with torn pec. Still could require season-ending surgery but that remains to be determined.

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/16/a...ctoral-muscle/
Old 08-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #1379
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

@saraorlesky:
Good for her not for us as I thought she has done a really good job over the years. What's she going to do for the Jets?
Old 08-16-2022, 02:18 PM   #1380
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Good for her not for us as I thought she has done a really good job over the years. What's she going to do for the Jets?
PR/Media stuff mostly.

Quote:
True North Sports + Entertainment and the Winnipeg Jets are excited to welcome seasoned sports broadcaster Sara Orlesky to the Jets content team. As Sr. Host/Producer, Orlesky will bring a unique voice and exceptional storytelling ability to the team's exclusive, in-depth and behind-the-scenes coverage across all Winnipeg Jets platforms.

In addition to producing new Jets content features, Orlesky will assume the role of co-producer and host for a new post-game and will provide pre-game hits with all the gameday information Jets fans need to know. A new studio and post-game show set will debut in the 2023-24 season.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/welcom...aign=jets%20pr