Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2022, 01:32 PM   #281
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
The ethical lines between acceptable and non-acceptable are pretty obvious to anyone with a sense of empathy, IMO. Is it a context in which you can comfortably adopt an item of religious significance infront of members of that community and both you and they would feel comfortable with you doing so? (Such as, for example, when Sikhs sometimes have a booth set up on Canada Day where they show you how to tie and wear a turban and will discuss its significance in their culture and religion with you.)

Would this person in the parade do so if there were Sikhs who are prominent members of his community? Would he be comfortable doing this outside a Sikh temple in Calgary and interacting with Sikhs who see him there? Would Sikhs, after hearing his explanation for dressing up in this way, accept that explanation? If the answer to any of those questions are no, then it's not okay.

I'm not saying that it should be viewed as a hate crime or be made illegal to do so, but I am saying that being socially castigated for doing so is a valid and deserved outcome.
Thanks, this is a great answer and I agree with your take on the situation. Seeing the imbecilic comments from the organizer makes me think that there was a mean-spirited racial undertone to this that is not acceptable.

Also, thanks for communicating your answer without resorting to personal insults. This is how a discussion forum should function!
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:37 PM   #282
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
The ethical lines between acceptable and non-acceptable are pretty obvious to anyone with a sense of empathy, IMO. Is it a context in which you can comfortably adopt an item of religious significance infront of members of that community and both you and they would feel comfortable with you doing so? (Such as, for example, when Sikhs sometimes have a booth set up on Canada Day where they show you how to tie and wear a turban and will discuss its significance in their culture and religion with you.)

The Charlie Hedbo shootings were less then a decade ago. The likely motive for that attack was the magazine's cartoons depicting and joking about Muhammad. Is that something that should never be allowed anymore in the West, or do freedom of speech allow it despite it being not just distasteful but potentially heretical to some adherents of Islam.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:39 PM   #283
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Watching some of you struggle to come to terms with this being straight up wrong and racist is painful.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to b1crunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #284
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Thanks, this is a great answer and I agree with your take on the situation. Seeing the imbecilic comments from the organizer makes me think that there was a mean-spirited racial undertone to this that is not acceptable.

Also, thanks for communicating your answer without resorting to personal insults. This is how a discussion forum should function!

You literally needed multiple people to paint you a picture and describe over multiple posts in detail why an obviously racist message was racist, yet your feelings were hurt from what you perceived to be personal insults.

haha, that's awesome. Like, you couldn't understand without us explaining it to you like you were five why the imagery used in the Hicktown Parade was racist, but the real injustice in all this was the tone we took in the forum. I love it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #285
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm not the intended audience, but yeah it's funny to have a manure spreader with a politician riding on it. It really doesn't matter which politician, it's funny to me.
In which case why not use a cardboard cut out?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #286
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The Charlie Hedbo shootings were less then a decade ago. The likely motive for that attack was the magazine's cartoons depicting and joking about Muhammad. Is that something that should never be allowed anymore in the West, or do freedom of speech allow it despite it being not just distasteful but potentially heretical to some adherents of Islam.
Yes - don't do it. The only reason to do it is to be edgy.

And just to save someone the trouble - the attacks on Charlie Hedbo were terrible and shouldn't have been done.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:53 PM   #287
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can Shaun Majumder, who is only half-Indian through his Bengali Hindu father, wear a turban to lampoon Jagmeet Singh?

Are we trying to reenact the Seinfield episode where the guy converted to be Jewish so he could tell Jewish jokes?
Old 06-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #288
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

FWIW, Sliver gave you the Coles notes version of this exact same answer (twice) and you ignored him and then accused him of throwing a personal dig when he was surprised you didn't understand.

A discussion goes two ways. You have to be open to it. It's silly when you ignore people and accuse them of deflection and then go on to wax poetic about how a discussion forum should function.

Food for thought anyway.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #289
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
I don't understand the point of the "The".....
So Jagmeet Singh is "The Liberal" what?

Looks like someone else is the actual Dope when it comes to the English language.
Racism aside I'm not even sure what the joke is aside from "hur dur Trudope and Stinky"
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 02:15 PM   #290
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First, let's separate the action from the reaction. The reaction was absolutely despicable and morally reprehensible to the most extreme imaginable degree. The action did not in any way deserve the sort of reaction.

But that doesn't mean that it deserved no reaction.

Would the appropriate result be some degree of social condemnation of Charlie Hedbo for publishing something that they knew was going to be highly offensive to a large number of people? Yeah, I think it probably would have been, and moreso I think that's a reaction that the publishers would have accepted and even welcomed as something that would further the debate they wanted to have about some problematic elements of Islamic fundamentalism in a western society. So absolutely those cartoons should be legally allowed (as they were, and as this parade float was), but so too should people be allowed to vociferously denounce them within the constraints of the law.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #291
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Yes - don't do it. The only reason to do it is to be edgy.

And just to save someone the trouble - the attacks on Charlie Hedbo were terrible and shouldn't have been done.
Or... if the joke is funny, make the joke. The idea that certain subjects should be taboo and off-limits from humor or parody is flat-out bullsh-t.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #292
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Is it never acceptable for a non-Sikh to wear a turban?

Why is everyone deflecting and not answering the question?
When it's worn to make fun of, belittle or mock it's not acceptable. But you know this.

Edit. I see you've figured out that it is, in fact, racist. I deleted my comment that may have been of a personal nature.

Last edited by chedder; 06-27-2022 at 02:34 PM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #293
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
In which case why not use a cardboard cut out?
Yeah, that would've been fine. I feel like this guy (or the guys putting it together) were more nefarious, but I'm not really sure that the message was racist. People have done caricatures of politicians forever, and those are always involving telling characteristics.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #294
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Or... if the joke is funny, make the joke. The idea that certain subjects should be taboo and off-limits from humor or parody is flat-out bullsh-t.
Is there no line? Blackface is good? Doing some stereotypical Chinese voice all good?

Usually if you are doing those things at this point - you're doing it be edgy and then trying to sell it as a joke to get away from it.

And honestly - I don't really care if you make that joke. But if people get pissed at it - you can't act shocked or offended.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #295
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If you looks at Zarley's posting style, he knows this is a bad idea, he's just being obtuse and difficult to stick it to posters he doesn't politically agree with. Most rational people can immediately see the problem without needing an explanation.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #296
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If you looks at Zarley's posting style, he knows this is a bad idea, he's just being obtuse and difficult to stick it to posters he doesn't politically agree with. Most rational people can immediately see the problem without needing an explanation.
Not really, just trying to provoke some interesting discussion on a bit of a taboo subject. Isn't that the whole point of a discussion forum?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:23 PM   #297
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not really, just trying to provoke some interesting discussion on a bit of a taboo subject. Isn't that the whole point of a discussion forum?

So you're saying you knew it was racist all along and you were just trolling?
Other than not believing you, that's also not the point of a discussion board.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #298
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zarley, further to your comment about 22 minutes and the political cartoon. I think these are actually important distinctions. It's all about context. Personally, I think both of these are over the line, but again the context of both of these depictions isn't to deligitimize the culture or person. Using caricature as an example, the exagerated features have always been a slight contention point, but they are largely dolled out pretty evenly. Just look at a caricature of the british royal family for example, you could see the nose from a different planet. Satire itself, generally where 22 minutes finds itself, also creates it's own cover for this. The Satire is poking fun at itself generally, and the larger commentary of the satire is usually a completely different element than the zany parts, so there's more flexibility. That said, I think both of these instances are toeing that line pretty hard. BUT, both are so far away from the parade example that it's pretty disingenuous to compare them.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #299
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm not the intended audience, but yeah it's funny to have a manure spreader with a politician riding on it. It really doesn't matter which politician, it's funny to me.
This is actually the most offensive thing in the thread, I expect one or two people to not understand casual racism but the fact you'd find this funny is truly offensive.

I'm damn near 40 and I can't imagine this being chuckle worth even in my 70s. Are you 80?
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:45 PM   #300
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
lol, no one is going to believe it. Points for trying but lol
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post: