Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2024, 04:16 PM   #1
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Tell me about New Orleans

Hey all, my wife and I have an upcoming short trip at the beginning of March as I have a few days off in a row. We decided to head to New Orleans because it wasn't too long of a flight from here, and I've always had a desire to try authentic cajun/creole food and generally check out the city.

We are definitely foodies, so please let us know where to eat. I already have a couple places lined up for dinner, but would be happy to hear any suggestions for dinner or lunch, or just the odd snack. We aren't party people or anything, but enjoy a cool cocktail bar to check out, especially if they have unique cocktails. Also looking for places to check out during the day and light activities to do. I'd mostly like to check out the city architecture and general aesthetic vibe, so I'm good just walking around cool areas. If there is an essential activity to do, let us know.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:25 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its in Louisiana.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 04:29 PM   #3
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to New Orleans for Conference last year. Lots of cool restaurants to go to. Ate dinner at Arnaud's. Good was amazing.

I'd still recommend checking out New Orleans because it's super cool, but prepare yourself for shocking displays of poverty and don't be out late at night as it's not safe. Multiple people from our conference were mugged in a few different places, though returning from Bourbon Street was the worst after 1am apparently. Everywhere we went there were 7 year olds playing drums for money at 10am while their parents watched. It was gross at times for sure
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 04:44 PM   #4
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Yeah. Definitely a lot of cool restaurants and bars.

However, a lot of poverty. A lot of people live in these "shotgun" houses, which are basically just one long house, with no hallways. Many of the houses were ravaged by Katrina. Many are not repaired, but still have people living in them.

I was out late at night, including in many places I shouldn't have been, but never got mugged. Definitely was watching over my shoulder the whole time though. We attempted to go to Jazz bars in the Treme, but they've mostly closed now. The Uber wouldn't pick us up, because the neighbourhood was sketchy. Everyone else was on a bike, so I had to walk about 10 blocks through the neighbourhood alone. It was sketchy. Underaged kids would rent these party buses and just park them in parking lots everywhere and blast music.

I didn't find bourbon street to be unsafe though. I guess as long as it's busy it's safe.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:13 PM   #5
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah. Also try to find a good Sazerac. It's a similar drink to an old fashioned but with Rye whiskey instead of bourbon. Mmmmmmmmmm
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:15 PM   #6
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

There is a house there. No idea what it’s called.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:24 PM   #7
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Arby's
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:28 PM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
There's an old mansion that got converted into a bar. They have pool parties some nights too apparently. I went there (not for the pool party). It's a famous bar in town, might be what you're thinking of?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:36 PM   #9
Brupal
Draft Pick

I will have been to NOLA and back by February 15, so feel free to message me then and I will give you very current intel.
Brupal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brupal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:36 PM   #10
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There's an old mansion that got converted into a bar. They have pool parties some nights too apparently. I went there (not for the pool party). It's a famous bar in town, might be what you're thinking of?
No, that sounds cool, but I do think it was Arby’s.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:39 PM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its in Louisiana.
Is sinking.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:43 PM   #12
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Now I have seen most of the world's great cities, but New Orleans will always be special - for coffee and beignets at the Morning Call on the Mississippi; for the music of Aaron and Charmain Neville, the old guys at Preservation Hall, and the memory of Al Hirt; for jogging through the French Quarter in the early morning; for amazing meals at a host of terrific restaurants with John Breaux, Sheriff Harry Lee, and my other pals, and most of all, for those first memories of my mother. They are the magnets that keep pulling me down the Mississippi to New Orleans.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:13 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old Orleans is better.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:21 PM   #14
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Oh yeah. Also try to find a good Sazerac. It's a similar drink to an old fashioned but with Rye whiskey instead of bourbon. Mmmmmmmmmm
I think we're staying across the street from The Sazerac House. Do they make a good Sazerac?
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:55 PM   #15
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

It smells like a mix of fish, piss, and puke, and it's a city you'll never forget. Great food, great booze, and great music everywhere. Some absolutely amazing history. Keep your head on a swivel as there are pick pockets and con artists everywhere. Have breakfast at Brennan's. It's a New Orleans tradition. Do a haunted New Orleans walking tour, especially if you are staying in a historical hotel in the French Quarter. It may scare the #### out of you. Consider a walking tour of the Garden District to see some of the history and beauty of the city and know where the rich and famous reside or once resided (Anne Rice, Nick Cage, John Goodman to name just a few). Make sure you ride the street car, and see if you can find Desire (all the cars are named). Most importantly, eat a ton of beignets and drink as many frozen beverages as your stomach and head can allow. Have the zombie at Laffite's Blacksmith Shop (oldest in New Orleans and a haunt for pirates and privateers in the day). You're going to have a blast!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 07:56 PM   #16
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Orleans definitely has a distinct smell. Not a good one
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:57 PM   #17
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went in 2009. Was a fun experience. Saw lots of great live music. Ate lots of great food. Got robbed.

Was there for a week and feel like we could have still seen more. Riding the street car was a good way to get around is about all I remember.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:24 PM   #18
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I lived there for a year.

It's a good time for a week, but nothing more than that. Don't try to be a hero by going off the beaten trail. The more time you spend there the more frightening you start to realize it is.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:36 PM   #19
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
It smells like a mix of fish, piss, and puke, and it's a city you'll never forget. Great food, great booze, and great music everywhere. Some absolutely amazing history. Keep your head on a swivel as there are pick pockets and con artists everywhere. Have breakfast at Brennan's. It's a New Orleans tradition. Do a haunted New Orleans walking tour, especially if you are staying in a historical hotel in the French Quarter. It may scare the #### out of you. Consider a walking tour of the Garden District to see some of the history and beauty of the city and know where the rich and famous reside or once resided (Anne Rice, Nick Cage, John Goodman to name just a few). Make sure you ride the street car, and see if you can find Desire (all the cars are named). Most importantly, eat a ton of beignets and drink as many frozen beverages as your stomach and head can allow. Have the zombie at Laffite's Blacksmith Shop (oldest in New Orleans and a haunt for pirates and privateers in the day). You're going to have a blast!
I’ve never had any interest in visiting New Orleans, but this post has me intrigued
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:44 PM   #20
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Spent a week in 2010, pretty much in the French Quarter the whole time, and never felt unsafe. I guess I was just clueless.

There was a restaurant that offered creole cooking classes that were very good, I am not sure if it is the same one that is currently on the top of TripAdvisor's Things To Do list. At the time, it was taught by an ex-CFL player, but I am not finding that referenced on my Google searches. It was probably the New Orleans School of Cooking.

Cafe du Monde on Decatur is the original Beignet place, and probably an obligatory stop.

Thoroughly enjoyed the place and had intended to go back again, but I know other people who I have talked to who have been accidental tourists there (conventions) and have hated the place.

As mentioned, it can be gritty. Poverty, rats, cockroaches, etc.. Hot and muggy too; early morning run in 24c felt like running in 35c here. The smell is probably the other tourists, but they have trucks that come around early in the morning to wash the whole place down.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post: